This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Programmers...How hard is it to remake/remaster a Ps2 game?

#1BissomoneybagsPosted 2/1/2013 10:33:48 PM
I'm honestly curious about this due to the fact that I've been waiting patiently on the FFX remaster. How long should it take, what does it involve, etc... I don't know much about the process and the works, so if anyone would be willing to fill me in, thanks a bunch.
#2AwayFromHerePosted 2/1/2013 10:38:02 PM
From announcement to release, most HD collections were within a year.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#3beebarbPosted 2/1/2013 10:38:04 PM
It could take a short amount of time, or a long amount of time. Depending upon how they approach it.

Short - Original game as-is, emulated.
Medium - Basic port, no adjustments.
Long - Full port and/or remaster.

Specific time frames cannot be provided.
---
We shall rise again to start anew.
White FC: 0862-2660-4156 / 3DS FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 4556-7836-2644
#4RyuuHou25Posted 2/1/2013 10:39:05 PM
This is a company that has been announcing things and taking years to deliver on them, if ever, so that's a main factor right there.

Secondly, I'd suggest you look into what it takes to remaster a single picture or something......remastering an entire game is a fairly big task.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#5ADHDguitarPosted 2/1/2013 10:39:55 PM
I'm only studying programming, but I can imagine it'd be pretty annoying/tedious.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#6glory of power metalPosted 2/1/2013 10:53:40 PM
In the specific case of FFX HD, I'd imagine it's one of those things where it was announced when production began. Then for whatever reason the team was no longer working on it and it could obviously only effect Square Enix negatively if they said "We'll get back to it when we work some other stuff out, just hang tight," so instead they're being ambiguous and avoiding talking about it.\

In short, I'd put any money on the fact that it isn't taking a while because it's a hard job, but rather because there's no dedicated team currently working on it as a priority.
---
i7-950 3.4GHz | GeForce GTX 285 | 16 GB DDR3 | NEC 2490WUXi 1920x1200
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher
#7VarronPosted 2/1/2013 10:56:51 PM
SquareEnix has way more important things to deal with, like Lightning Returns FFXIII. Why should they bother with games nobody cares about like FFX HD, KH3, or FFvXIII?
---
PSN: Snippuh
#8joenick79Posted 2/1/2013 11:48:22 PM
beebarb posted...
It could take a short amount of time, or a long amount of time. Depending upon how they approach it.

Short - Original game as-is, emulated.
Medium - Basic port, no adjustments.
Long - Full port and/or remaster.

Specific time frames cannot be provided.

Dead on. Also, if the PS2 emulator can currently handle all possible PS2 code for that specific game, then an emulated version would be done in a day. (Since the game is already completed)
I would think a basic port with no adjustments could be done within a month considering the only thing that needs to be changed would be all ps2 references in the game be changed to ps3. (For example, "Don't power off your ps2 while saving..." would need to be changed to "Don't power off your ps3 while saving...") Other than a few small source code changes, it's pretty much just a matter of recompiling source code for the ps3 instead of ps2.
The long tedious work comes into play with a full port/remaster. That's pretty much building the game from the ground up. The only difference is, you already have the building blocks planned out for you. In other word's, the design phase is done. The time frame for this depends on the size of the team working on it, and it can be anywhere from 2 to 6 months.
Hope this helps. I've been programming as a hobby since second grade. Yep, that's right. On the old commodore 64 and later 128. Even played around with an old Texas Instrument in school. It was there for us to play a game called Munch Man, but I would play around with the BASIC programming language on it. Sorry for the wall of text...
---
"mega man battle network 5 ds. the minigame in End Castle allows you to whack off dummies that doesn't stop coming"--Dark_SilverX
#9Ryphis_DemeanorPosted 2/2/2013 12:06:01 AM
Load "*" ,8,1
#10JackNiefPosted 2/2/2013 12:07:40 AM
I think it helps with what sort of build you get of the game, like with Silent Hill HD Collection actually got a pre-complete build of the game, so there were lots of bugs and issues with the game... which is apparently why the game is kind of a garbage port.
---
Proud Owner of: Playstation 3, Wii, Xbox360, Gaming PC, PSP, DS, Vita
<CHANGE> all the <THINGS!>