This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Programmers...How hard is it to remake/remaster a Ps2 game?

#11weskers errand boyPosted 2/2/2013 1:29:25 AM
Ryphis_Demeanor posted...
Load "*" ,8,1

Commodore 64 board is that way
---
RIP Everquest Online Adventures 2003-2012
#12OtakuGameraPosted 2/2/2013 1:32:44 AM
pretty hard, PS3 (and 360) architecture is different from PS2 architecture, so the way your program talks to the different parts of hardware like the GPU, CPU and RAM is different so you have to completely reprogrammed that part
---
PSVita no games? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/64767381
http://www.atlus.com/res/p4g_faithful_reviews_1.jpg
#13Nightmare637Posted 2/2/2013 1:37:26 AM
From what I've heard the team that is doing the FFX port is the same team thats doing the KH HD collections and that FFX is on the backburner until those are finished.
---
PSN:Nightmare637
Don't bother arguing with Sophi he'll never admit hes wrong even when he is :D.
#14PoorCountryPosted 2/2/2013 1:53:26 AM
I'm a game student, but my focus is on art. Could any programmers tell me what kind of coding work this would require? Translating code into a different programming language, or... ?
#15joenick79Posted 2/2/2013 5:45:30 AM
PoorCountry posted...
I'm a game student, but my focus is on art. Could any programmers tell me what kind of coding work this would require? Translating code into a different programming language, or... ?

I assume the programming language would remain the same. Only blocks of code would have to be modified to fit the platform being programmed. As a VERY BASIC example, porting a game that uses a camera from the 360 to ps3 would require changing all function calls to the camera, because the ps3 and 360 don't communicate with their respective cameras the same way. Depending on the programmer and the amount of pre-planning, this could be as simple as replacing a few function definitions, or as difficult as rebuilding the entire game engine. If all consoles used one universal SDK, things would be much easier, but then all the consoles would be identical.
---
"mega man battle network 5 ds. the minigame in End Castle allows you to whack off dummies that doesn't stop coming"--Dark_SilverX
#16nouseravailablePosted 2/2/2013 7:21:27 AM(edited)
Im a ruby, java, and c# senior programmer and i have absolutely no clue idea how hard it is. Note that what would change is the back-end of the application. In the end, the time, costs, etc would all depend on the sdk and how both plataforms deal with the middleware they used back then. I think the time they are taking to release ffx have much more to do with their operational priorities then anything else. I also pretty sure that in game development, unless there are technical issues and things that werent predicted, the largest ammount of time would be spent in the engineering proccess...

S-E just have other priorities: KH re-release, ffxiii-3, all that stuff for 3ds, IO, browser games, etc.
---
NP: R&C A Crack in Time and Tales of Symphonia.