This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Trying to dl a 18gb game and have 24gb free but it can't....

#1whats_a_fanboyPosted 2/2/2013 7:36:24 AM
it telss me I do not have enough free space. I had only 18gb free and thought I may be over my a couple mb or something. I then deleted a 2gb game, still says not enough space. I got all out and clear up 24gb and then still when I try to get my free Super SF4 I get same message. Any idea boys? Defrag?
#2bigdaddyjugPosted 2/2/2013 7:37:23 AM
Defrag may be your best bet, although you will probably need about 40 gb free to download that 18 gb game.
---
How's that workin' out for ya? Bein' clever?
PSN ID: Bigdaddyjug
#3tmons78Posted 2/2/2013 7:37:57 AM
For the PS3 you need to have double the space available in order to download a game, since it downloads first, and then installs.

So, you would need 36GB available to download the game, even though it will only take up 18GB.
#4killakPosted 2/2/2013 7:41:39 AM
Don't download in the background

or just think for a sec:

You've got 24 gig free, then you have an 18 gig installer sitting in your games directory.

Where's it going to install to?
---
Caller: Do you have this game, "i wanna f*** your mother?"
Me (At EB Games): No, but we do have 'Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader' *click*
#5whats_a_fanboy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 8:03:35 AM
killak posted...

or just think for a sec:

You've got 24 gig free, then you have an 18 gig installer sitting in your games directory.

Yeah man, didn't think about that. Why can't it just do like the 360 does? Just not set up that way? Screw it I'm about to order a solid state drive and get 750gb so I have space now that I'm doing PS+. That and I can't even stand to play games like Rage where the textures take 2 seconds to load every time you stop and look. I'm a gameplay over graphics chap but man, that Rage is where I draw the line. New I should have got it for 360.

My buddy has a SS hybrid drive and man the difference is amazing in Rage and Skyrim but best part is games seem to install and load so much faster. It is so noticeable that I am on board now. Read a lot on here about how SS drives make no difference but I have seen it with my own eyes now so I know it does and my assumption that most people have no idea what they are talking about and just go off what the hear or read is cemented even more now haha.

Getting this one if you care to check it out fellas. Much cheaper than full SS and I have seen the test videos and can not see difference between the hybrids and the full SS. I see a huge difference in price though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=22-148-591&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=3#scrollFullInfo
#6whats_a_fanboy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 8:07:20 AM
Oh and it doesn't give me an option to dl in background. Not sure if you were joking but it doesn't get that far before telling me I'm outta room.
#7spectralPosted 2/2/2013 8:17:48 AM
whats_a_fanboy posted...
killak posted...

or just think for a sec:

Yeah man, didn't think about that. Why can't it just do like the 360 does? Just not set up that way? Screw it I'm about to order a solid state drive and get 750gb so I have space now that I'm doing PS+. That and I can't even stand to play games like Rage where the textures take 2 seconds to load every time you stop and look. I'm a gameplay over graphics chap but man, that Rage is where I draw the line. New I should have got it for 360.

My buddy has a SS hybrid drive and man the difference is amazing in Rage and Skyrim but best part is games seem to install and load so much faster. It is so noticeable that I am on board now. Read a lot on here about how SS drives make no difference but I have seen it with my own eyes now so I know it does and my assumption that most people have no idea what they are talking about and just go off what the hear or read is cemented even more now haha.

Getting this one if you care to check it out fellas. Much cheaper than full SS and I have seen the test videos and can not see difference between the hybrids and the full SS. I see a huge difference in price though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=22-148-591&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=3#scrollFullInfo

People say they dont make a difference to gameplay. It's well documented that they improve load and install times. However most people dont see the extra cost of an SSD worth it for the few minutes you save on an install or seconds on load times.

The difference between an SSD and the Hybrid is that the hybrid is as its name implies a mix between a SSD and a normal HDD. It is 4GB SSD and the rest is a normal HDD. It caches the most comonly accessed data to the SSD section and the rest goes on the normal HDD part. So if it needs too access the data on the normal hdd part, it's as slow as a normal HDD. Given that games tend to be over 4GB that means at least part of the game is going to install to the slower part of the drive.
#8whats_a_fanboy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 8:26:22 AM
True but the test I have seen of a stock drive, the 750gb hybrid I am getting and a full on SSD are the selling point for me. I see the difference. Not just in textures in some games but the load and install times are much faster. And the hybrid performed as good, or at least I could not tell a difference nor the testers, as the full SSD and you're getting 750gb for $99. Seems worth it to me even if is was as slow as a stock drive.

Oh and all this I read about 7200rpm either making no difference as the PS3 can only read at 5400rpm is BS. I have seen it with my own eyes and the people saying they will overheat your PS3 may be right but I know people who have had them for over 7 years or so and theirs PS3's are fine. I, however, went through 6 Xbox 360's and didn't mod a thing.
#9spectralPosted 2/2/2013 8:39:21 AM
whats_a_fanboy posted...
True but the test I have seen of a stock drive, the 750gb hybrid I am getting and a full on SSD are the selling point for me. I see the difference. Not just in textures in some games but the load and install times are much faster. And the hybrid performed as good, or at least I could not tell a difference nor the testers, as the full SSD and you're getting 750gb for $99. Seems worth it to me even if is was as slow as a stock drive.

Oh and all this I read about 7200rpm either making no difference as the PS3 can only read at 5400rpm is BS. I have seen it with my own eyes and the people saying they will overheat your PS3 may be right but I know people who have had them for over 7 years or so and theirs PS3's are fine. I, however, went through 6 Xbox 360's and didn't mod a thing.

I agree, a full ssd is not a great solution for a console, it is far too expensive per GB, I was just answering your question as to the difference. But to be fair SSD's are aimed at PC's where because the whole operating system is on the drive they can make a huge difference, The Hybrid drives seem to be a nice middle ground. As for your current space issue, are you playing all the games you have installed? If not just delete some you aren't playing while you play the new one. You can re-download PS+ games as many times as you like so long as your subscription lasts. That is of course if you have a net connection fast enough that it wont be a complete pain to do that.

As for the 7200rpm drives. I've never actually seen anyone say that wont be faster. I dont think the PS3 can slow the spin speed and the tests on SSd's prove that the PS3 writes data faster than the max for a 5200rpm drive. As for the heat, I've seen it mentoned as a theoretical problem but have never actually seen anyone that it has actually happened too. Modern drives generally run cooler than older ones anyway.