This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

DO you think the ps4 will have backwards compatibility with the ps3?

#21rumbalumbaPosted 2/2/2013 4:48:34 PM
sicko26us posted...
JoveHack posted...
CooperRC posted...
Since they removed the cell from the PS4, the only way this is going to happen is with a very expensive PS4 that contains PS3 hardware. Do you really think Sony will do that again with how bad the PS3 sold at the start?

Software emulation. They got 80% software emulation of the PS2 in some of the 80GB fat PS3s, before pulling the plug because they didn't want to sell more PS3s.

A fact that people forget (maybe they are to young to remember). Emulation should not be to difficult to figure out.

and that's why it took people years to emulate the Sega Saturn, even if PCs have been much more powerful than the Saturn. or what about SNES emulation not being perfect until after the 2000s. or what about PS2 emulation on PC still not working for some games like the juggernaut God Of War 2?
#22sicko26usPosted 2/2/2013 4:49:28 PM
rumbalumba posted...
NOT HAPPENING.

the Cell alone has a different architecture than whatever CPU the PS4 is going to have, plus the graphics card will be different as well.

this isn't a PC where you can play older pc games with newer cards. PS3 games are OPTIMIZED to work on the Cell and the RSX. meaning, whatever memory cycles or processes those CPU and GPU had, the games will only run within those parameters. this isn't as straightforward as running a code within the lowest-common denominator then using raw power without optimization that PC games and devs do. these PS3 games were built to run on very specific hardware, with specific software constraints, processes, and distributions.

unless the PS4's CPU/GPU can emulate them, BC isn't possible. why? we already know they're going to be different than the PS3's hardware.

They have emulators to play console games on phones and tablets for crying out loud.
---
Motomu Toriyama is the worst writer in the history of video games, if you agree add this quote.
#23CooperRCPosted 2/2/2013 4:52:52 PM
sicko26us posted...
JoveHack posted...
CooperRC posted...
Since they removed the cell from the PS4, the only way this is going to happen is with a very expensive PS4 that contains PS3 hardware. Do you really think Sony will do that again with how bad the PS3 sold at the start?

Software emulation. They got 80% software emulation of the PS2 in some of the 80GB fat PS3s, before pulling the plug because they didn't want to sell more PS3s.

A fact that people forget (maybe they are to young to remember). Emulation should not be to difficult to figure out.

Emulation is not that difficult to figure out, but you still need powerful enough hardware to run it.
#24RyuuHou25Posted 2/2/2013 4:56:14 PM
If anything, I can see it launching with PS1 and PS2 BC, but not PS3.

And then I will have to laugh at all the people whining about it.

Seriously, do. not. get. rid. of. your. PS3.

So hard!!
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#25THE_PS1_PATRIOTPosted 2/2/2013 4:57:45 PM
RyuuHou25 posted...

So hard!!

But...but....cords and the few seconds to switch plugs.....
---
PLAYSTATION PATRIOT
#26CooperRCPosted 2/2/2013 4:59:38 PM
RyuuHou25 posted...

So hard!!

Wll you say the same thing when your PS3 dies to YLOD?
#27ElBorak77Posted 2/2/2013 5:00:12 PM
no. they want money.
---
PSN El_Borak_77
#28THE_PS1_PATRIOTPosted 2/2/2013 5:02:14 PM
CooperRC posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...

So hard!!

About a 10%-20% chance of happening. I'll take them odds.
---
PLAYSTATION PATRIOT
#29RyuuHou25Posted 2/2/2013 5:38:11 PM
CooperRC posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...

So hard!!

I've already had one go YLOD and another died due to idiots at an airport, so yeah, not going to have much of an issue if it dies.

If they're still in stores, which given how long PS2 stayed in them is a safe bet, I buy another one. If that's not possible, I deal with the reality like a grown ass human being. I've already done it about 15 times with past consoles, since I've been gaming since I was 5 and my first console was a SNES.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#30rumbalumbaPosted 2/2/2013 5:42:40 PM
sicko26us posted...
rumbalumba posted...
NOT HAPPENING.

the Cell alone has a different architecture than whatever CPU the PS4 is going to have, plus the graphics card will be different as well.

this isn't a PC where you can play older pc games with newer cards. PS3 games are OPTIMIZED to work on the Cell and the RSX. meaning, whatever memory cycles or processes those CPU and GPU had, the games will only run within those parameters. this isn't as straightforward as running a code within the lowest-common denominator then using raw power without optimization that PC games and devs do. these PS3 games were built to run on very specific hardware, with specific software constraints, processes, and distributions.

unless the PS4's CPU/GPU can emulate them, BC isn't possible. why? we already know they're going to be different than the PS3's hardware.

They have emulators to play console games on phones and tablets for crying out loud.

they ported it over, meaning THEY WORKED FOR THOSE GAMES TO RUN ON THOSE SYSTEMS.

that's different from inserting a PS3 disc on a PS4 and expecting it to work perfectly.

my god, are you a kid or something? there's more to the real world that whatever face value you're confronted with. yes, you can play Vice City on a phone now. so what?! Rockstar made Vice City work on a phone. they allocated money, time, and effort to have Vice City running on phones. if that simple concept can't get through to your skull, i don't know what can.