This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

DO you think the ps4 will have backwards compatibility with the ps3?

#31sicko26usPosted 2/2/2013 4:57:58 PM
rumbalumba posted...
sicko26us posted...
rumbalumba posted...
NOT HAPPENING.

the Cell alone has a different architecture than whatever CPU the PS4 is going to have, plus the graphics card will be different as well.

this isn't a PC where you can play older pc games with newer cards. PS3 games are OPTIMIZED to work on the Cell and the RSX. meaning, whatever memory cycles or processes those CPU and GPU had, the games will only run within those parameters. this isn't as straightforward as running a code within the lowest-common denominator then using raw power without optimization that PC games and devs do. these PS3 games were built to run on very specific hardware, with specific software constraints, processes, and distributions.

unless the PS4's CPU/GPU can emulate them, BC isn't possible. why? we already know they're going to be different than the PS3's hardware.

They have emulators to play console games on phones and tablets for crying out loud.

they ported it over, meaning THEY WORKED FOR THOSE GAMES TO RUN ON THOSE SYSTEMS.

that's different from inserting a PS3 disc on a PS4 and expecting it to work perfectly.

my god, are you a kid or something? there's more to the real world that whatever face value you're confronted with. yes, you can play Vice City on a phone now. so what?! Rockstar made Vice City work on a phone. they allocated money, time, and effort to have Vice City running on phones. if that simple concept can't get through to your skull, i don't know what can.

Only, I am not talking about that. I guess I am a kid if that means I have seen third party emulators in action.
---
Motomu Toriyama is the worst writer in the history of video games, if you agree add this quote.
#32RyuuHou25Posted 2/2/2013 5:01:46 PM
"Only, I am not talking about that. I guess I am a kid if that means I have seen third party emulators in action."

There are no current gen emulators for phones and what not. I doubt there's even working ones for last gen.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#33sicko26usPosted 2/2/2013 5:16:31 PM
RyuuHou25 posted...
"Only, I am not talking about that. I guess I am a kid if that means I have seen third party emulators in action."

There are no current gen emulators for phones and what not. I doubt there's even working ones for last gen.

Never mind, rolls eyes.
---
Motomu Toriyama is the worst writer in the history of video games, if you agree add this quote.
#34Red_JesterPosted 2/2/2013 5:23:54 PM(edited)
I doubt it and despite the very vocal, very small minority that say otherwise, (Who are probably going to buy the PS4, regardless) they aren't going to be hurt in sales for not doing so. However, that won't stop them from blaming BC as the sole cause of Sony's woes if the PS4 does poorly.

It won't be BC through hardware, that's for sure. Your only bet is digital copies of games that you'll sadly have to repurchase and play through emulation. (Though I'm sure this won't be as easy as previous consoles, so don't expect the whole PS3 library moved over) Also, a lot of people have predicted that Gaikai's services may offer streaming of all high demand PS1/2/3 games.

Actually, I expect heavy implementation of all of Gaikai's features. Anything OnLive or Gaikai could do, I expect to see on the PS4, but... that doesn't guarantee it'll be PS1 and PS2 games and even if it does, I'm sure the selection will match market demand. That said, streaming seems like the best option for PS3 games.

So... yeah. Don't get plan on getting rid of your PS3.
---
I do benefits for all religions. I'd hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality. - Bob Hope
I'm right about everything, every time. 60% of the time.
#35sicko26usPosted 2/2/2013 5:26:35 PM
Red_Jester posted...
I doubt it and despite the very vocal, very small minority that say otherwise, (Who are probably going to buy the PS4, regardless) they aren't going to be hurt in sales for not doing so. However, that won't stop them from blaming BC as the sole cause of Sony's woes if the PS4 does poorly.

It all depends on their launch line up without BC. If they don't have any good (system seller) games and without BC they will be in trouble, because the vocal minority will wait to buy the systems. It will be like this gen all over again.

Nobody buys system (the PS3 was too expensive)
Nobody makes games for system (why do you think it took so long for it to catch on?)
Repeat until something changes (price drop)
---
#36MajorMan1989Posted 2/2/2013 5:35:53 PM
I think Sony might use the Gaikai service on this one. Instant digital versions of PS3 games for PS Plus members streamed to the PS4.
---
Check Out My Gaming Blog
http://www.thevglob.com
#37JoveHackPosted 2/2/2013 5:42:04 PM
MajorMan1989 posted...
I think Sony might use the Gaikai service on this one. Instant digital versions of PS3 games for PS Plus members streamed to the PS4.

I hope you're right, but suspect that's wishful thinking. That's a ton of development work, and more importantly, QA work. Porting the code is one thing. Testing it is something else. It takes a lot of testers working long hours to check out games to the point the quality is sufficiently assured to warrant a release.

And who will pay for it? The developers would probably skip it based on costs alone, and Sony's got serious money troubles.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved
http://primal.wikia.com
#38RyuuHou25Posted 2/2/2013 8:27:19 PM
sicko26us posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...

Never mind, rolls eyes.

Your argument fall apart or something?
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#39AwayFromHerePosted 2/2/2013 8:40:33 PM
Discs? No.

Downloadable game? Yes.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#40sicko26usPosted 2/2/2013 11:29:00 PM
RyuuHou25 posted...
sicko26us posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...

Never mind, rolls eyes.

Your argument fall apart or something?

No, you couldn't wrap you mind around what I was saying so rather than continue trying to explain it I gave up.
---