This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

DO you think the ps4 will have backwards compatibility with the ps3?

#41morphinapgPosted 2/2/2013 11:31:52 PM(edited)
I believe there will be a premium BC model for $100 more (~$450) which will also likely have a larger HDD
#42RyuuHou25Posted 2/3/2013 3:55:39 PM
sicko26us posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
sicko26us posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
"Only, I am not talking about that. I guess I am a kid if that means I have seen third party emulators in action."

There are no current gen emulators for phones and what not. I doubt there's even working ones for last gen.

Never mind, rolls eyes.

Your argument fall apart or something?

No, you couldn't wrap you mind around what I was saying so rather than continue trying to explain it I gave up.

*laughs* You were claiming there were emulators for phones and what not that could play console games. Yeah, oooooo, so hard to understand! Obviously you have no damn idea what you were talking about then.
---
PSN ID: RyuuHou24
"I never said that....and even if I said it, I never said it" - Dr Peter Venkman RGB
#43ThamauturgePosted 2/3/2013 4:00:54 PM
Cell processor cost $89 to manufacture in 2006 (probably much cheaper now). They should release a model that includes it for PS3 BC and charge a $100-$200 more for it.

Then everyone's happy, people that want it can get it. People that want it to be cheaper can get the other version.
---
Vayne Solidor of the DD012FF Board
Currently playing: Persona 4: Golden, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
#44don_juan_darkoPosted 2/3/2013 4:02:15 PM
Guys, forgive me for being an idiot for a second.

But if the PS4 is using AMD instead of nVidia, will that actually be a problem?

Won't the new AMD have all the graphical capabilities and more of the previous nVidia card, as in upgrading an old PC nVidia card with a brand new Radeon? Or is there a brick wall in the console world that I'm overlooking?
#45ThamauturgePosted 2/3/2013 4:04:13 PM

Won't the new AMD have all the graphical capabilities and more of the previous nVidia card, as in upgrading an old PC nVidia card with a brand new Radeon? Or is there a brick wall in the console world that I'm overlooking?

CPU is the issue. Sony almost certainly isn't using the Cell processor as the main one.
---
Vayne Solidor of the DD012FF Board
Currently playing: Persona 4: Golden, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
#46brycemorrPosted 2/3/2013 4:28:04 PM
Thamauturge posted...

CPU is the issue. Sony almost certainly isn't using the Cell processor as the main one.

It maybe be a CPU issue but it not a processor issue. Granted its a console so I maybe wrong. What I mean is the amount of the CPU output for emulation not the actual processor. The Cell Processor at the time was top notch and judging that AMD is providing a new chip for the PS4 instead of nVidia means BC could be a part of it.

It more or less looking like BC will not be a part of the PS4 right away if they want to keep it cheap.

I believe Sony could pull some BC via software/download sometime in the future maybe even through disc just not right away.
---
psn: bdawgtimes84
#47SirWaWaPosted 2/3/2013 4:42:23 PM
I think it will
look how much can be made off the PSN store with digital tiles if it played ps3, ps2classics, psoneclassics games
all the pieces are in place, just need to make it happen
plus continued trophy support via same/linked accounts
have the DS3 controller work as well
#48morphinapgPosted 2/3/2013 5:04:42 PM
and judging that AMD is providing a new chip for the PS4 instead of nVidia means BC could be a part of it.

It's fairly easy to translate RSX commands to any modern AMD GPU. That wouldn't be an issue.

They would only need to include the cell processor, which is really cheap right now, as an extension, much like they did for the emotion engine in ps3. They could do ps2 and ps1 emulation entirely through software. Chances are if they include BC it will be as a premium model SKU, not the standard model.
#49sicko26usPosted 2/3/2013 5:57:57 PM
RyuuHou25 posted...
sicko26us posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
sicko26us posted...
RyuuHou25 posted...
"Only, I am not talking about that. I guess I am a kid if that means I have seen third party emulators in action."

There are no current gen emulators for phones and what not. I doubt there's even working ones for last gen.

Never mind, rolls eyes.

Your argument fall apart or something?

No, you couldn't wrap you mind around what I was saying so rather than continue trying to explain it I gave up.

*laughs* You were claiming there were emulators for phones and what not that could play console games. Yeah, oooooo, so hard to understand! Obviously you have no damn idea what you were talking about then.

Nope no idea what I am talking about:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=n64%20emulator%20android&oq=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41867550,d.cGE&fp=42c474b6b4531938&biw=1920&bih=906&pf=p&pdl=300

That is a google search for N64 emulator for android, 529,000 results

Now before you tell me how much easier it is with older tech remember that these are amateur programmers who accomplished it. Sony has professional programmers working with technology that they developed (PS3/4 OS and hardware).

So no, I obviously have no idea what I am talking about.
---
Motomu Toriyama is the worst writer in the history of video games, if you agree add this quote.
#50Born LuckyPosted 2/3/2013 8:47:50 PM
No BC for earlier PS consoles is a deal breaker.

With my PC and my PS2, I can play everything from Castelvania SotN to The Witcher 2, and most likely anything that's coming up.

Why bother with a PS4 if it doesn't have BC? To play 2 or 3 exclusives?

Not worth it.
---
I was talking to the parrot - Poirot