This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS2 emulation surely has to happen with the PS4?

#11BeatItUpRight(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 11:40:20 AM(edited)
THE_PS1_PATRIOT posted...
There are stores still selling PS2 consoles and games out there.....Amazing I know.

Also about 10 other ways to get access to PS2 games. Like my PS3 which I plays my classic Alpha Anthology on.

If you know what I know you'd better start hunting down those rare PS2 games down now.

Did you also know that the best way to currently play PS2 games is via emulation and not via a PS2 or PS3?... Amazing I know right?

Enjoy that motion blur.
---
Intel Pentium Pro @155mhz - 2MB 3dfx Voodoo Graphics - 4x 16MB SIMM ram - 32k Modem - Windows 98
#12Ryan SiPosted 2/2/2013 12:34:01 PM
The more BC the better in my opinion. Since the architecture of the PS3 and PS4 are looking to be very different I assume PS3 BC is out.

I expect PS1 BC (every PS system has had it), I hope for PS2 BC.

I still have my PS1 and a new PS2 Slim I bought a year or so ago, but I have no room to hook them up. This generation's wireless controllers have also spoiled me.
---
Most Wanted: Bit.Trip Runner 2 (PC), Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) Final Fantasy X HD (PS3)
#13Great_Pudding_3Posted 2/2/2013 12:37:06 PM
PS2 are barely sold in most stores, so I doubt Sony cares. They'd rather sell hd versions and ports.
---
PSN: Chocobo_Dragoon
GT: Chocobo Dragoon
#14zzamaroPosted 2/2/2013 12:41:42 PM
MlREFOX posted...
I love how so many uniformed children automatically create the dichotomy of free features or greed as if there are absolutely no other possibilities.

Agreed. He said, they are selling Ps2 classics because they are greedy. So if that were the case, why are they selling PS1 classics if they PS3 can play ps1 discs? So what's the point to do it? They shouldn't be selling PS1 games because it can already play PS1 games.
---
[This signature was deleted at the request of the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo.]
#15_tanjil_Posted 2/2/2013 12:56:18 PM
Well it's definitely possible, not like Sony will provide it. Also people who are being Sony defense lawyers, chill out.

There's nothing wrong with people wanting a feature that can easily be provided.
No one is saying they won't buy the PS4 if it isn't provided.
With the PS3 being able to play PSX games, it's fair to assume that it would be able to emulate PS2 games
Wii U has BC with Wii games, so one would assume the very least Sony can do as a competitor is give PS2 BC
#16DrakillionPosted 2/2/2013 1:06:29 PM
I hope so. I don't want to have my PS2 having to clutter my shelf too. If the PS4 had PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility, then there's a good change I'll buy it in a few months. If not, then I'll wait.

I feel like PS3 backwards compatibility might be a bit.... complicated for them so I can understand if it doesn't have it.
---
---
"Dating Yukari Takeba is, like, the closest thing to dating Michelle Ruff, so I don't see the reason why not."- My brother XD
#17MlREFOXPosted 2/2/2013 1:10:58 PM
Shineboxer posted...
I love how so many uniformed children automatically create the dichotomy of free features or greed as if there are absolutely no other possibilities.

*rolls eyes*

Please... do inform us, oh great one on high steed...

Contrary to what an entire generation of whiners seems to think, business decisions are not made out of greed. Business are created as profit-making entities and they have obligations to shareholders to maximize profits. Their business judgment can be challenged if they are negligent in performing their duties. Greed has nothing to do with it. Sony, and just about every major corporation out there, puts time, effort, and money into trying to make the best business decisions. Sometimes they succeed and sometimes they fail, but these decisions are based on business models, not greed.
#18rockyoumonkeysPosted 2/2/2013 6:19:08 PM
MlREFOX posted...
Shineboxer posted...

*rolls eyes*

Please... do inform us, oh great one on high steed...

Contrary to what an entire generation of whiners seems to think, business decisions are not made out of greed. Business are created as profit-making entities and they have obligations to shareholders to maximize profits. Their business judgment can be challenged if they are negligent in performing their duties. Greed has nothing to do with it. Sony, and just about every major corporation out there, puts time, effort, and money into trying to make the best business decisions. Sometimes they succeed and sometimes they fail, but these decisions are based on business models, not greed.

Eh. It's still greed, but then all capitalism is greed.

But this greed only becomes a problem for me when companies start destroying peoples' lives to line their own pockets. There should be a healthy balance between strong profits and a fairly paid work force. Just because you can squeeze a few more pennies of profit by firing thousands of people, doesn't mean you should.
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Reading: Great North Road, P. Hamilton
#19Ryan SiPosted 2/3/2013 1:31:02 PM
PS1 games have been playable on every single Playstation model, despite the fact Sony sells "PS1 Classics" on PSN. I think it's just a case of cost. Believe it or not, there are plenty of "people" who will receive/buy a PS4 that were either too young or not even alive during the PS1 era (crazy I know!).

I have pretty nice PS1 and PS2 collections so I'd like to see them compatible, especially considering it will cost Sony next to nothing to include said features. PS3 I can understand not being BC, the architecture of the hardware is completely different (from the PS4) and my PS3 collection is like 10 games deep so it's not a big deal to me in the end.
---
Most Wanted: Bit.Trip Runner 2 (PC), Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) Final Fantasy X HD (PS3)
#20JohnHitman47Posted 2/3/2013 1:35:03 PM
It won't happen, if they do it there will be no reason to buy PS2 HD collections or PS3 4K collections.
---
Love good shooters and horror.