This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hiroyuki Ito has not worked hands-on with a single Square Enix game this gen!

#111Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 7:25:43 PM
angry_cowtipper posted...
1Truth posted...
angry_cowtipper posted...
Well, it looks like he had nothing to do with VII or X, so I don't really care.

He conceived the Materia system in FFVII.

Eh..

Yes, he was the mastermind behind the Materia system. That popular system used in FFVII. Therefore, he did have something to do with FFVII. He had nothing to do with FFX though.
---
Final Fantasy XII is a masterpiece in both game design and story.
#12yuber112Posted 2/2/2013 7:29:43 PM(edited)
"He is also famous for being the game designer of Final Fantasy V (1992), Chrono Trigger (1995) and Final Fantasy Tactics (1997)."

Whyyyy aren't they letting him make games!?

It's nice when you find out who was responsible for what in games:

"His next major role was as battle system designer for Final Fantasy IV.[1][3][4][5] The game was the first for the Super Nintendo and was initially being designed to have a turn-based battle system.[1][3][5] However, Ito was watching a Formula One race one day and upon seeing the racers pass each other at various speeds, he came up with an interesting idea of each character having a speed value and that affecting when it will be their turn.[1][3][5][6] He began to create an in-depth article with illustrations that explained his idea and the underlying gameplay mechanics that would make it function.[3][5] He also took a lot of inspiration from the gameplay rules and mechanics of the NFL.[3][5][7] He called this new battle system, Active Time Battle (ATB)."
#13BurningNovaFirePosted 2/2/2013 7:28:50 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics. One of my top three games of all time.
---
My friends call me "hadouken", because I'm a down right fierce. GT: Lt KGB
#14yuber112Posted 2/2/2013 7:36:12 PM(edited)
"Hiroyuki Ito next worked as the game designer of Final Fantasy V, where he refined the ATB system and also created the Ability Point (ABP) system and a new, fully customizable Job system.[5][8][10][11] He also introduced the ATB gauge that appears on the right side of the battle menu.[1][5][10] There were also a number of event scenes he created for the game, the most famous being the various encounters with Gilgamesh, a comic relief enemy he created.[10][12] He also created the 'Chicken Knife or Brave Blade' choosing event.[13]"

Is all this really accurate? Because if it is then he's one of the guys that made the actual gameplay in Final Fantasy fun for me. That and Gilgamesh.

"For me, the most important element of a RPG is the player feeling like they are taking the role of a character in a fully realised fantasy world. They can explore a vast world, visit various towns and dungeons, talk to numerous NPCs, customise the equipment and abilities of their character, collect a wide variety of items, battle many different types of monsters, and engage in optional side-quests and mini-games. The story and event scenes are also important, but they should be balanced with these aspects of RPG gameplay."

"Hiroyuki Ito's philosophy on the game design of a RPG"

This man needs to be put in charge of another Final Fantasy. Whatever his unannounced project is must be amazing.
#151Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2013 7:36:38 PM
BurningNovaFire posted...

Tell me about it. Man, that Job system!
---
#16UltimagaWeaponPosted 2/2/2013 7:46:25 PM
I thought he made Type-0 and BDFF, guess I was wrong.
---
"Dive it to the Sky" - Kingdom Hearts
#17BurningNovaFirePosted 2/2/2013 10:07:23 PM
1Truth posted...

Haha! No doubt. That's the reason I love Final Fantasy X-2 so much. The game was kinda wonky, but the battle and job system was a blast. The one in Tactics was so addicting though!
---
My friends call me "hadouken", because I'm a down right fierce. GT: Lt KGB
#181Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 9:49:34 AM
1Truth posted...

Haha! No doubt. That's the reason I love Final Fantasy X-2 so much. The game was kinda wonky, but the battle and job system was a blast. The one in Tactics was so addicting though!

Yeah, I really want to see the Job system return to mainline FF games.
---