This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What makes the original MGS superior over Twin Snakes?

#1GuyanaAssassinPosted 2/2/2013 7:26:43 PM
I've played MGS2 and MGS3 and I have seen my brother play through MGS4 and pieces of Twin Snakes. Twin Snakes seemed like a good game to me and I intend on playing it myself soon enough, but I have seen a lot of hate for it on forums.

Why is it? There is so much love for the original game but quite a bit of hate for Twin Snakes. Because if the original really is that much better, then I'll just get it on PSN
---
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxne2ix0Ol1qao7jyo1_250.jpg
#2jubjub_28Posted 2/2/2013 7:30:40 PM
its opinion for some, with the updated graphics, and more action packed cut scenes.

however some believe that the true tone and atmosphere of the original was left behind in favor of childish nintendo references and over the top cut scenes.

advocates of TTS counter with the fact that the story is already so convoluted that the over the top cutscenes make the game bareable and call it better in every way.

hopefully i just saved you pages of fans arguing over what is better. personally, i like the original.
---
I played and loved every second of METAL GEAR SOLID 4.
Problem?
#3CorathTheHungPosted 2/2/2013 7:30:48 PM
Name anything. That's why.
#4mogar002Posted 2/2/2013 7:31:32 PM
The only thing I see people whine about it are the action packed scenes.
---
I am Mogar, God of Irony and The Devourer of Topics.
http://i33.tinypic.com/2hwco6d.jpg
#5Video_Game_CzarPosted 2/2/2013 7:32:23 PM
It's has first person mode from MGS2.
---
PSN: VideoGameCzar l XBL: VideoGameCzar l Steam: TheVideoGameCzar
#6PoorCountryPosted 2/2/2013 7:47:03 PM
mogar002 posted...

That's such a stupid way to deride criticism. Just calling it whining.
#7Face_McShootyPosted 2/2/2013 7:51:51 PM
Something about Snake backflipping off a missile and redirecting it back to the hind D or something Idk never played it
---
SHOOT ME IN THE FACE!
#8Darth_ElusivePosted 2/2/2013 7:55:19 PM
jubjub_28 posted...
its opinion for some, with the updated graphics, and more action packed cut scenes.

however some believe that the true tone and atmosphere of the original was left behind in favor of childish nintendo references and over the top cut scenes.

advocates of TTS counter with the fact that the story is already so convoluted that the over the top cutscenes make the game bareable and call it better in every way.

hopefully i just saved you pages of fans arguing over what is better. personally, i like the original.

Exactly what I thought, absence of true tone and stupid Mario.
---
Look at my XBOX720 ===> i7 2600 @3.4Ghz | ATI 6850 1GB | 8GB DDR3 | Asus P8P67 LE
Now playing: Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Dead or Alive 5
#9656stoogePosted 2/2/2013 8:12:15 PM
PoorCountry posted...
mogar002 posted...

That's such a stupid way to deride criticism. Just calling it whining.

Thank you!

On topic, I just started TTS a ew days ago after wanting to play it for around 10 years now. I went wanting to love it regardless of the criticism and so far I have mixed feelings (at the moment I'm just past the blast furnace).

On the one hand, the gameplay and graphics are fantastic. I'd heard that the first person aiming made the game too easy, so for my first playthrough I decide to use it very sparingly and to avoid the M9 tranquiliser completely.
Doing this I actually found that the game was slightly harder than the original despite the fact that I've beaten the PS1 version 2 dozen times or more. The AI is far sharper for one, and little touches have been added like noisy grates that are in areas they weren't in the previous.
The one exception being the Ocelot fight that, even without resorting to the first person view, was so easy I beat him in under a minute and without getting hit. You can actually run faster than him which eliminated all challenge.

Other than the gameplay is fantastic and a big step up from the original. The game also looks great, but can be a little dark at times and (nitpicking I know) I'm not a fan of Sniper Wolf's green lipstick.

The downsides? Music and Cutscenes. First off, I don't mind the remixed music., for the most part, and would have been perfectly fine with it if, IF, they had left the original opening theme intact. You know the music as Snake swims into the elevator area?
That music is the first thing I remember when I think of MGS. It set the mood perfectly and shouldn't have been messed with.
Other than that I actually like a few new tracks and I'm a big fan of incorporating the MGS2 theme into the alert mode.

As for the cutscenes, they're just too over the top. Try as I like I just can't help but dislike them. They seem to get more and more absurd as the game goes and really take away from the overall experience, which is a big no-no in such a cinematic game.

So as I said, mixed feelings. I wish I could play this with the originals cutscenes and opening score, it would have been a perfect remake, but as it is it has it's share of good and bad points.
Still worth playing though, and I'm happy I get to experience it.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ_wbc3Z5C8
#10DefYouthPosted 2/2/2013 8:25:22 PM
I had fun playing it but it was super easy. It might be because I'd played the original 20 times by then though.
---
Well, if I'm going to hell, I'm going there playing the piano. - Jerry Lee Lewis