This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why did Sony give up on PSP in North America - but brings Vita and PS4 instead?

#1Jx1010Posted 2/3/2013 3:19:11 PM
PS3 are still strong in North America
PSP is still strong in Japan

However Sony brought Vita and soon PS4........
while here in North America we have been left out on PSP localizations...
#2kewldude475Posted 2/3/2013 3:22:41 PM
Because PSP game sales started to decline. In Japan they keep supporting the PSP, do you know why? BECAUSE GAMES SELL.

Seriously, I've had enough of this debate. Stop being ignorant, use common sense, etc.
---
PS3/Vita PSN: kewldude475; 3DS FC: 4253-3798-3218; Steam: kewldude475
#3angry_cowtipperPosted 2/3/2013 3:43:18 PM
It's time for new hardware
---
Far Cry 3, Don't Starve (PC), AC3 (PS3), Dungeon Defenders (AND), Gravity Rush (VITA)
#4Zack_Attackv1Posted 2/3/2013 3:49:03 PM
This is a horrible topic.
---
|L|A|y|l|A|
My anti-drug
#5Lelouch71Posted 2/3/2013 3:50:49 PM
Jx1010 posted...
PS3 are still strong in North America
PSP is still strong in Japan

However Sony brought Vita and soon PS4........
while here in North America we have been left out on PSP localizations...

I guess you are new to gaming. The PS2 was going strong but that still stop them from releasing the PS3. Consoles only last 5-6 years before a successor comes out. Even though Sony like to support their system for 10 years they like to stick to that formula. If anything the PS4 is late to the party. The same is true for the PSP. Handhelds only last 5-6 years too before a new successors is released.

Pirating and Sony incompetence are the reason the PSP doesn't get much support in the west.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#6Devilman_AmonPosted 2/3/2013 4:00:12 PM
Pirating? It's not like Japanese consumers don't or can't pirate either...

It's more on the latter end (Sony incompetence)

Even Nintendo is now pushing to help third party developers localize their games...which is something they've horribly lacked on doing in the past..
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#7Jon_GodPosted 2/3/2013 4:05:23 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...

Even Nintendo is now pushing to help third party developers localize their games...which is something they've horribly lacked on doing in the past..

No, it's that the audiences were very different. The same way that people can pirate on Wii, easily, but there's a lot more piracy on PC.

The Wii audience doesn't know/care as much because most of them are hardcore nintendo fans, or casual gamers.

The PSP in America was for hardcore gaming teens. This is the audience most likely to pirate.

Or you could just blame Sony.
---
PS3 Fan, but doesn't mind other systems. PSN: Jon_God, XBL: Ernie the Bear
http://savemgo.com/forums/
#8OtakuGameraPosted 2/3/2013 4:06:30 PM

japanese have honor ingrained into them since birth, not saying they dont pirate but majority dont

and i'll believe nintendo when i see it, they've been extremely apprehensive about localizing anything including their own games in the past.
---
PSVita no games? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/64767381
http://www.atlus.com/res/p4g_faithful_reviews_1.jpg
#9CooperRCPosted 2/3/2013 4:11:24 PM
OtakuGamera posted...

japanese have honor ingrained into them since birth, not saying they dont pirate but majority dont

and i'll believe nintendo when i see it, they've been extremely apprehensive about localizing anything including their own games in the past.

Actually pirating is becoming more and more popular in Japan. They have even been trying to make examples out of people lately for sharing copyrighted content on the Internet in that country.
#10Devilman_AmonPosted 2/3/2013 4:15:46 PM
Jon_God posted...
Devilman_Amon posted...

No, it's that the audiences were very different. The same way that people can pirate on Wii, easily, but there's a lot more piracy on PC.

The Wii audience doesn't know/care as much because most of them are hardcore nintendo fans, or casual gamers.

The PSP in America was for hardcore gaming teens. This is the audience most likely to pirate.

Or you could just blame Sony.

PC is ridiculously easier to pirate then the Wii. PC also adheres more to the "hardcore" crowd as you say than Wii obviously. Wii shouldn't even be used in this argument as an example.

But I do agree with you that many PSP owners in Japan are casual gamers now but it's not like the mobile phone scene or anything.
And PSP games there are hella pricey so pirating is an option that they do take and its not hard to do on the PSP.
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)