This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The beginning of the end for Gamestop?

#1matt091282Posted 2/3/2013 10:43:38 PM
I just came across this tonight, so I have no idea how credible this site is. But, if true, the news certainly does not surprise me. I guess if this happens, it's strictly Amazon from now on.

http://playstationgang.com/about-500-gamestop-stores-going-out-of-business/
#2UniversquallPosted 2/3/2013 10:53:57 PM
What's 'smear campaigns by rental companies like GameFly' about?
---
After the Fallout
#3matt091282(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 10:55:11 PM
Yeah, I was wondering about that myself. I have no idea what that is referring to.
#4UniversquallPosted 2/3/2013 10:56:44 PM
Found http://kotaku.com/5910231/gamefly-trashes-gamestop-in-their-new-ad-literally

But that can't be right. Considering Gamefly is flawed.
---
After the Fallout
#5crazyman32Posted 2/3/2013 10:56:52 PM
Universquall posted...

You either didn't see or don't remember certain Gamefly TV ads.
---
PSN ID:gearhead32
I used to care but now I take a pill for that.I apologize for nothing.
#6Crimson SkysPosted 2/3/2013 10:58:39 PM
Old news. I found this out a month ago when the Gamestop near me told me they were closing down. They just shut down for good a few days ago.
---
"You spoony bard!" -- Tellah (Final Fantasy IV)
#7matt091282(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 10:59:44 PM
Crimson Skys posted...
Old news. I found this out a month ago when the Gamestop near me told me they were closing down. They just shut down for good a few days ago.

Oh wow. I'll have to keep an eye on the one near me. Maybe I'll go in soon and ask them if they are staying open.
#8RoxasANobodyPosted 2/3/2013 11:01:07 PM(edited)
matt091282 posted...
I just came across this tonight, so I have no idea how credible this site is. But, if true, the news certainly does not surprise me. I guess if this happens, it's strictly Amazon from now on.

http://playstationgang.com/about-500-gamestop-stores-going-out-of-business/

inb4"This is what you get when you try to save $5 on a full MSRP game LOLOLOL"

Gamestop will be going through this process because of MANY reasons. The main reason, which should be clearly obvious to consumers, is that Amazon is a much better choice to buy used games. If you're content with waiting a few days for the shipping, then you're better off and you won't have to worry. Additionally, it's also better to sell used games over Amazon as well.

This is my basic understanding of what's happening to the industry at the moment: online retailers are destroying brick-and-mortar stores. Guess who's right up there with Gamestop? Best Buy and Radioshack. Gamestop is stuck in the late 90's. The problem is that they waited too long to update their store model. They JUST got into buying used iPods, iPads, etc. However, anyone with half a brain would just go to eBay and get a better deal there. Even then, some of their (Gamestop's) used products retail for 3/4's the price of a new iPod.

tl;dr - Gamestop f***ed up and it's about time it caught up with them. The top executives waited too long to make a move and they were clumsy in dealing with online retailers.

Universquall posted...

I haven't seen any ads by GameFly that would directly attempt to destroy the reputation of Gamestop, but GameFly does poke at Gamestop's business model. Although I think GameFly is nonsensical, people have apparently seen the sense of renting their games rather than buying used/new from retailers like Gamestop. I don't really know how to answer your question, so don't quote me on that.
---
"Fantastic baby."
Currently playing: R&C HD Collection, Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3, and Assassin's Creed III
#9UniversquallPosted 2/3/2013 11:00:13 PM
crazyman32 posted...
You either didn't see or don't remember certain Gamefly TV ads.

Fortunately they don't seem to exist in my country.
---
After the Fallout
#10WRRYYYYersPosted 2/3/2013 11:00:29 PM
Gamestop is only expanding. They carry ipods and iphones now, and have just expanded to carry net10 phone plans too. Anyone who thinks Gamestop is going anywhere is only kidding themselves.
---
120% Scientific Magno-Swag [King of Tager]
http://i.imgur.com/2145H.jpg