This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Last of Us - New Preview, gameplay, and detail aka the best game this year

#31IBringItPosted 2/5/2013 2:16:17 AM
PoorCountry posted...
OtakuGamera posted...
It's still a dumb, immersion-breaking crutch which could be avoided entirely if only your stealth sequences were designed in a manner that's actually fair. So I'm supposed to believe in and relate to this everyman type of character, I just have to come to terms with the fact that's he's actually postapocalyptic Daredevil first. I think that kinda undermines everything the people at ND have been trying to accomplish here.

you're basing this on a few minutes of videos and one person's (glowing) opinion on it, wait for more footage and reserve your judgement then

He's basing it on the concept, and he's right: everything he said about the concept is on-point. Are you going to suggest that they will implement this concept, of being able to psychically see through walls, in a way that doesn't involve psychically seeing through walls?

I think you guys are missing the point as far as why it works that way. In real life your hearing can pinpoint the direction a sound is coming from. As good as some surround speakers may be it's never been fully replicated. In a game where hearing what's around the corner or up ahead in a large dark room is a major factor. This cannot be replicated accurately within a game just yet so, for me at least, this is an acceptable alternative.
---
http://tinyurl.com/7fl22md
PSN: IconGrist
#32iveriadPosted 2/5/2013 2:19:49 AM
PoorCountry posted...
OtakuGamera posted...
It's still a dumb, immersion-breaking crutch which could be avoided entirely if only your stealth sequences were designed in a manner that's actually fair. So I'm supposed to believe in and relate to this everyman type of character, I just have to come to terms with the fact that's he's actually postapocalyptic Daredevil first. I think that kinda undermines everything the people at ND have been trying to accomplish here.

you're basing this on a few minutes of videos and one person's (glowing) opinion on it, wait for more footage and reserve your judgement then

He's basing it on the concept, and he's right: everything he said about the concept is on-point. Are you going to suggest that they will implement this concept, of being able to psychically see through walls, in a way that doesn't involve psychically seeing through walls?

I think the game looks cool, but I don't like the thing about having a "sixth sense." That doesn't feel realistic, it doesn't immerse me in the role of Joel, and if it's true that it's there only to be a crutch and doesn't have any impacting relevance to the story-line (this is definitely how it comes off), then I would prefer they leave it out and allow the game to be that much more difficult.

It's not a real sixth sense.
It's called Listen Mode.
It's how Joel's visualize his surroundings by using his hearing sense.
Anyone can do that. The developer just decided to make a visual representation of the information Joel gets from listening. Because not everyone has a 5.1 Sound System.
---
"There is no justice in using and deceiving people!"
#33pencruPosted 2/5/2013 3:05:10 AM
Did anyone SEE the last part of the video? That looked painful.