This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What RPG/JRPG games have NPCs that *smartly* fight alongside you?

#1HaloODSTDPosted 2/4/2013 6:37:33 AM
You know, you're party members that follow you into battle. You can't control what they do so you hope they do the right thing like heal you when you're losing a lot of health, etc.

I saw games like Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma have NPCs that fight alongside you, any others? Are the Skyrim and DD's NPCs decent? Or they kinda hang around and occasionally attack?
---
GT: Jessica Jung xo
PSN: Rutgers Student
#2aneed4peedPosted 2/4/2013 6:45:48 AM
Skyrim and DD's followers will attack whatever attacks you, always.

Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas have a similar system. But they dont do stuff like heal you or buff you, you have to do that for yourself or for them.

There are a few Turn-based RPGs out there that have party members as well.
---
a knock, a thud, a tiny...zwoosh, where?
Please, call me Aneed [http://i.imgur.com/DDzaw.jpg]
#3HaloODSTD(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 9:33:42 AM
bump.
---
#4superbowl54Posted 2/4/2013 9:35:08 AM
I found the other characters in Persona 3 (aside from Mitsuru) to be fairly useful in battles, with a few exceptions obviously.
---
XBL: Beasts Inc; PSN: DeadlySilence
Currently Playing: Dark Souls, Persona 4 Arena, Black Ops 2, Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2, ZOE HD, Valkyria Chronicles, DmC
#5HaloODSTD(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 9:36:43 AM
superbowl54 posted...
I found the other characters in Persona 3 (aside from Mitsuru) to be fairly useful in battles, with a few exceptions obviously.

they do their thing completely on their own? (you don't ever have to control them or issue commands during battle)
---
#6toadiemanPosted 2/4/2013 9:39:38 AM
HaloODSTD posted...
superbowl54 posted...

they do their thing completely on their own? (you don't ever have to control them or issue commands during battle)

You can't control them on the PS2 version. You can in the PSP version.
---
PSN: toadieman
#7HaloODSTD(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2013 9:43:46 AM
toadieman posted...
HaloODSTD posted...
superbowl54 posted...

You can't control them on the PS2 version. You can in the PSP version.

o nvm I'm looking for PS3 or xbox 360 games u__u
---
#8FiendingHardPosted 2/4/2013 9:44:29 AM
Surprisingly, Final Fantasy 12 since you get to program their behavior.
---
What is faith then but persistent hope in the face of relentless doubt.
Now Playing: Anarchy Reigns, Far Cry 3, Torchlight 2, Final Fantasy 9.
#9TerotrousPosted 2/4/2013 9:44:47 AM
superbowl54 posted...

The Persona 3 AI characters are famously stupid, ie, casting debuffs on bosses who are nearly dead rather than healing or finishing them off. That's why the PSP version allowed manual control of your party.

Anyway, games like Tales, Star Ocean, and Xenoblade have AI-controlled allies, but they're never as good as the player-controlled characters.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#10SHAO-KhanPosted 2/4/2013 9:45:45 AM
Warriors Orochi 3 has enemies and allies that move as they want, your allies no longer stand around as you attack , they attack with you, sometimes juggling enemies you pop up

Romance of the three kingdoms 11 had allies setting up combos as well
---
"If we're Evil or Divine , We're the Last in Line" - Ronnie James Dio