This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Copying a protected save file -- help.

#1Dial_A_JokePosted 2/4/2013 11:11:11 AM
Aloha,

so I descided to give Bayonetta a second chance and want to continiue my old save file. problem: it's copy protected and on my old (broken) PS3. Copying it via USB Stick isn't an option, obviously and I'm not going to invest 20 into a PS+ membership just to copy a single save file (I know PS+ has other advantages, I'm just not interested at the moment in spending the cash).

So I hooked up my old PS3 onto my old TV and want to use the data Transfer Utility, but have some questions first:

1) Will I be able to copy JUST this ONE file? I don't want to override my new files with older versions. If this can't be done, then the whole plan falls flat :(

2) If I can't copy my one file, I would simply delete everything from my old PS3 except the Bayo-save-files, that would work? Right? But that leads me to...

3) The PS3 tells me, that all my data from my new/reciving PS3 will be deleted? True? Why?

I really hate these copy-protected files and hope Sony will drop this BS when designing the PS4... I'm really annyoed that I can't just copy my own file to my own new system.

Any responses are much appreachiated.
---
How's that for a slice of fried gold?
PSN: GoodNewsOke
#2Nightmare966Posted 2/4/2013 11:28:24 AM(edited)
You'll have to transfer ALL data at once, deleting whatever is in the new PS3.

So that's not an option, unfortunetely.

Basically, the idea behind the Data transfer was to buy a new PS3 and immediately copy all the data from your old PS3 to the new. Not sure on why a format is needed always (even when it's brand new) but the thing is that it makes a complete duplicate of your old HDD on the new system.
---
PSN: Nightmare966
#3work_a_holicPosted 2/4/2013 11:27:10 AM
I don't think you can choose what to send over. It's like restoring backed up data. All of the current data gets deleted, and is replaced by the data that is being copied over.

I think you have to have PS+.
#4RomangeloPosted 2/4/2013 11:37:22 AM
install a custom firmware (illegal) to your old PS3 and use FTP to transfer that file to your PC.

then you have to unlock the file with some save editor application (illegal) before you can transfer it to the new PS3.
---
X > V > T > VI > XII > XIII-2 > X-2 > XIII > TLR > VIII > VII > IV > IX > III > I > II
#5AwayFromHerePosted 2/4/2013 11:56:33 AM
Just get PS+.
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.
#6VigilantStevePosted 2/4/2013 11:57:04 AM
PS+ cloud saves are going to be your easiest & best option for this.
#7Cush1978Posted 2/4/2013 12:21:57 PM
There's no reasonable way to move copy protected data without:

- Data Transfer Utility (and yes, it's all or nothing as people have pointed out)
- PS+ Cloud Save (also pointed out)

I think the path of least resistance is to simply start the game over. I've not played it, so I don't know how long/difficult it would be for you to get back to the point you were at.

I also think that PS+ is a good investment in the long run if you have saves you care about.
---
Cush - Wii Friend Code: 8824 6045 3862 1803
#8huyiPosted 2/4/2013 1:18:56 PM(edited)
the only viable option is custom firmware but we are not allowed to talk about that here so google it, or you can purchase xploder/game genie and use someone's else's save file and play the game that way by resigning it to your profile, or you have PS+ but that would be pointless to purchase because the save file is locked down to your other ps3 anyway.

and yes i hate copy protected save file too, but it's only going to get worse, the wii u locks down all of your saves, you can't backup anything to a memory card at all expect the ps4/xbox 720 to be the same too, i think there will come a point where memory cards (local space) will become a thing of the past.
---
UK Female Gamer
PC specs: AMD FX BULLDOZER 4100 QUAD CORE 4.0ghz ATI HD6670 8GB RAM 1TB HDD Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/HUYI1
#9Dial_A_Joke(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 2:43:23 AM
Well, that sucks. But thanks for the replies.

I was really hoping there would be an easy way (that wouldn't require me to purchase PS+) but whatever. Can't say I'm surprised though... it's not like this console generation is particulary consumer friendly, now is it?
---
How's that for a slice of fried gold?
PSN: GoodNewsOke
#10blitz-boy11Posted 2/5/2013 3:08:52 AM
Dial_A_Joke posted...
Well, that sucks. But thanks for the replies.

I was really hoping there would be an easy way (that wouldn't require me to purchase PS+) but whatever. Can't say I'm surprised though... it's not like this console generation is particulary consumer friendly, now is it?

Not the consoles fault. It is up to the publishers and developers I'd they want to block the ability to copy save data. So if your gonna blame anyone blame Sega and Platinum.
---
PSN: Hiroshima711