This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dead Space 3 Kotaku review is up!!!

#1djiluvu44Posted 2/5/2013 7:11:00 AM
http://kotaku.com/5981589/dead-space-3-the-kotaku-review?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Dead Space 3 in a nutshell = boring
#2DemiFistPosted 2/5/2013 7:12:05 AM
Kotaku...
lol..
---
Eluveitie greatest Band Ever, So "Get Da Folk UP!!!"
#3Bestia_SomniaPosted 2/5/2013 7:25:42 AM
Dead Space 3 is terrible. The snow environment really takes away from the dark atmosphere. It's not claustrophobic anymore, which takes a lot of the horror away. It felt like a lazy way to not have to create as many metallic detailed interiors because they can just slap a load of basic white textures everywhere, make a snow blizzard so that they can get lazy with the draw distance and just have a generic sky. The gritty industrial style is what made things much more nerve-wrecking because it made the environment feel hollow and lonely - isolated. Also, having humans and necromorphs with guns was a terribly generic idea, as well as the cover system which is a completely tacked on piece of **** in a failed attempt to freshen the gameplay up.

The demo basically felt like Lost Planet with RE6's gameplay. With the workbench you can even build yourself ammo/health/stasis packs so that you never have the fear of running short on supplies. Where is the "survival" in that? I know that there will be a classic Dead Space mode, but that's not available until you beat the game, or knowing EA until you shortcut that by paying them $8.95. I don't want to have to play through the terrible version of the game to get to play the superior version. I'd rather just save my 40 and buy myself a game that I can guarantee will be the best it can be from start to finish.
#4kingstagPosted 2/5/2013 7:31:27 AM
The snow environment is easily THE BEST thing about Dead Space 3. The game has a bunch of issues but the atmosphere is certainly not one of them.

I for one am glad that they chose to go a slightly different route with the environments.
#5ashnailePosted 2/5/2013 7:33:28 AM
Is there any story shown in multi player and not in singleplayer? If i can't get the entire experience from singleplayer i wont be buying this, dread has filled me since the announcement of multiplayer.
---
Armor won't help the heart stay sharp! Shellbust Stab!
#6Shadow CloudPosted 2/5/2013 7:33:37 AM
Kotaku usually seems lenient so this game must be rather mundane if it managers to bore them. Then again, they did say that playing through the game co-op added a lot more to the experience. I can probably say the same for RE5 and RE6 since I played through those games with co-op.
#7Shadow CloudPosted 2/5/2013 7:36:13 AM
ashnaile posted...
Is there any story shown in multi player and not in singleplayer? If i can't get the entire experience from singleplayer i wont be buying this, dread has filled me since the announcement of multiplayer.

According to the review, there are some exclusive co-op missions that flesh out the second player and his relationship to Isaac a bit more.
#8kingstagPosted 2/5/2013 7:36:31 AM
ashnaile posted...

I've read at least two reviews that claim that not only are there co-op only missions that they are some of the best missions in the game and provide the best integration with the previous games.

Seems like the single-player is a damaged experience.

If true I'm a little annoyed that the developers flat out lied about this.