This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

IGN likes DS3 because its a loot farming game now....

#21OrangeSchweesePosted 2/5/2013 9:52:36 AM
Yeah, it really reminds me of the Aliens series. Especially with how good the 2nd game was compared to the first (imo).
#22Shy420Posted 2/5/2013 10:07:35 AM
OrangeSchweese posted...
817Cowboys87 posted...
Jump scares is not horror and that is all this series really has when it comes to the "horror" aspect.

People keep saying this. I still don't get it. It is a type of horror, and the game also has a grating atmosphere. Maybe not on the same level as Amnesia or Silent Hill, but it's there. A horror fan should appreciate both, imo.

I'll just give you my opinion why jump scares are not horror. You can be at a happy event like a birday party for a toddler. You go to the bathroom finish leave and a 5 year old can yell BOOO!, you will get that same shock as a necromorph popping out from around a corner.

That being said I think it is really hard to do horror there are far too many variables involved. Everything from setting, sound and visuals to story and history. I think another big hurdle is the sense of possibility of loss. If I'm running through a game and I die I just start over, reload, etc. I lose nothing but time and some pride. There are ways to covey loss but most gamers probably wouldn't want to lose their save file, items, experience, weapons, etc.
---
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.
#23hockeybub89Posted 2/5/2013 10:12:42 AM
I like DS3 because it's just Dead Space in snow. People that act like DS1 was classic Silent Hill or something must have experienced amnesia since the last time they played it. Dead Space has always been more Aliens than Alien.
---
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/NIR_Hockey.png
http://www.last.fm/user/hockeybub89/ Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica
#24OrangeSchweesePosted 2/5/2013 10:24:29 AM(edited)
Shy420 posted...
There are ways to covey loss but most gamers probably wouldn't want to lose their save file, items, experience, weapons, etc.

Well, there is a Hardcore mode that forces you to restart the game if you die once, so I can imagine that adding to the sense of fear.

Also, unless the 5 year old happens to be Damien, he's probably not trying to kill you. And you aren't forced to kill or be killed.
#25ExpelDiasFlacPosted 2/5/2013 10:19:42 AM
Dungeon Siege 3 a loot farming game? It's more of a dungeon crawler.