This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How good is the yakuza franchise?

#1tigertomasPosted 2/5/2013 9:07:55 AM
It looks great, but it's received mediocre scores.
#2Video_Game_CzarPosted 2/5/2013 9:11:14 AM
It's one of the best video game series ever. Easily one of the best casts ever in a game. Good gameplay, sound and replay value.
---
PSN: VideoGameCzar l XBL: VideoGameCzar l Steam: TheVideoGameCzar
#3ThePatrickPosted 2/5/2013 9:18:38 AM
It's good and bad.

I personally love it, but I can see the faults that make a lot of people have a hard time getting into it.

The characters and stories are fun, the dialogue is awesome, and there is a lot to do in the games. It's almost like a Zelda world (where there are lots of people who will help you if you help them out), but like...in modern-day Tokyo with random encounters where you basically beat the snot out of people (usually with your bare hands).

The series suffers from some load time issues, too much clunky interaction with characters, too much clunky interaction with menus and movement, and maybe too much stuff to do if you wanna get 100%.

Honestly those are kinda minor faults in comparison to the cool action and fun characters in my opinion.

So I don't think it's for everyone, but I do think it's a great series.
---
Ryuuga Gotoku (Yakuza) series text FAQs available at GameFAQs
PSN: hatoriki_kai, XBL: hatoriki, YouTube: ryled, Twitter: @Hatoriki, Me: Bored
#4Dark_EpathyPosted 2/5/2013 9:20:11 AM
The series is typically more than the sum of its parts. Nothing it does in terms of gameplay is necessarily amazing, but, when all of the features are put together, they really shine.
---
~@_@~
Why are you people so hung up on what's canon or not? - freakazaa
#5kcheung5440Posted 2/5/2013 9:24:55 AM
I only played 3, and thought it was really good. The story was great, and I feel like I learned a bit about Japanese culture.
---
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
#6mmpepsiPosted 2/5/2013 9:27:06 AM
Very
#7PHEEliNUXPosted 2/5/2013 9:30:14 AM
I checked the ESRB rating, It says all games have Sexual Themes, What kind of sexual themes exactly?
---
PSN:PHEEliNUX
#8moniewitchPosted 2/5/2013 9:33:11 AM
It's a great seires that deserves better scores than it's getting from professional reviewers
---
Jesus is our best friend & savior
#9XechsPosted 2/5/2013 9:37:13 AM
Like the Patrick mentioned the narrative, characters and the mini games are fun. The loading, clunky ness in controls and gamefeatures and overall ok polish is a problem with the series. Also it's a arena beatem up. So it has very old school feel in the combat system so depends if you really like beatem ups or not. The fact fights have to load up into a battle arena like most JRPGs and the loading being kinda slow is a drag.

But the thing is there is so much to keep you busy that it kinda refreshes the experience. I've been personally getting tired of the combat but with the narrative and all the mini games and character interactions to break up the experience in between it's not too much of a deterrent. It's definitely a jack of all trades games and the overall experience is good even if there are some really bad flaws.
---
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/1198847692478tg1.gif
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/rankastar.gif Ranka-Macross Frontier
#10ThePatrickPosted 2/5/2013 9:37:26 AM
PHEEliNUX posted...
I checked the ESRB rating, It says all games have Sexual Themes, What kind of sexual themes exactly?

Mostly just talk. You can romance hostesses if you wish, who are kinda like...I dunno what to compare it to, almost like girls you'd meet at a bikini or lingerie dance bar (not really prostitutes but they come and talk you up as part of their job, you know?). There's also ostensibly sexy stuff like the show pup and massage parlor (but the girls have clothes on).

If you succeed with the hostesses, you do have sex with them, but it's not shown. It's just implied--you basically end up outside a hotel and they tell you they have feelings for you and such.

Some side quests (of which there are many in the games) also make a lot of sex jokes.
---
Ryuuga Gotoku (Yakuza) series text FAQs available at GameFAQs
PSN: hatoriki_kai, XBL: hatoriki, YouTube: ryled, Twitter: @Hatoriki, Me: Bored