This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Who is considering "giving up" on gaming after this current generation?

#1Pie_FOREVERPosted 2/5/2013 11:02:57 AM
Are you buying in to the "next gen", or sitting it out and playing old games from this point? - Results (394 votes)
Yes: It's a shame about the direction gaming has headed
7.11% (28 votes)
Most likely: Gaming is a shell of it's former glory
14.72% (58 votes)
Maybe: I still have some hope for a turn around
21.32% (84 votes)
Probably not: I think next-gen will surprise us
13.71% (54 votes)
No: I'm optimistic about the next generation
43.15% (170 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I've been trying to find various justifications as to why I should care anymore. I don't know what happened but I've seemingly lost interest in games. I was a huge gamer. I've got a massive library of titles that range back to the early days of gaming, and I have found very little in recent months, and the past year or two that have really made me think "Wow, I can't wait for the next generation".

For some reason, the impending announcements of new consoles doesn't have the same kind of allure or excitement to it as it once did. There's nothing exciting or promising in the way of technology that truly makes you say "I NEED THIS". Gaming has turned into this behemoth of a money making venture that dumbed down everything for the masses, and the appeal for me, at least, is gone.

There are a few last hurrahs, planning on trying the demo for Ni No Kuni to see if that reinvigorates my excitement a bit. But hell, even Far Cry 3, which is a game that's great fun, I seemingly have lost interest in. This never happened before. I always finished games. I'm so close to the end and I haven't fired it back up in almost a month.

Is it maybe because we're not kids anymore?
#2calhoun1389Posted 2/5/2013 11:05:33 AM
Maybe, but mainly because my interest in gaming as a whole (as it becomes more competitive and further abolishes fun cheats) is waning. It's just not the same experience as it was on PS1 and N64... Hell, it's not the same experience as PS2 and Gamecube (but that's where the anti-cheat code thing started)
---
http://digitalmasters.4umotion.com/ Join and make friends.
My Anime List: http://tinyurl.com/c6ylh9y (Updates regularly)
#3SigmaHacielPosted 2/5/2013 11:05:34 AM
Current gaming has lost its appeal. For every actual gem, we get swamped with garbage.

The MP bubble needs to burst already.
#4OtakuGameraPosted 2/5/2013 11:06:04 AM
i want to choose no, but even that option makes it seems like gaming has gone to s*** lately, so no and no.
---
PSVita no games? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/64767381
http://www.atlus.com/res/p4g_faithful_reviews_1.jpg
#5LinkinLawgPosted 2/5/2013 11:06:23 AM
The Only reason I would give up gaming is if games were no longer being produced.
---
PSN: LinkinLawg
Not changing this sig until I feel like it
#6You_Need_A_LifePosted 2/5/2013 11:07:02 AM
This gen was a huge disappointment, and I actually find myself replaying games from the NES, SNES/Genesis, and PS1 and having WAY more fun than I've had with any PS3 game.

Graphics and sound are amazing this gen, but that's about all that's been good about it.
#7ClausudoPosted 2/5/2013 11:07:02 AM
Yea, I did give up on Wii U. Terrible console!
---
I will be FFXIV player very soon! Let us shall make good memories!!! :]
#8xNewAgeWarriorxPosted 2/5/2013 11:08:25 AM
Lol at these

GUISE I CANT GO ON ANYMORE

just quit if you dont care and do something else. BLOGFAQS.
---
We used to be the wealthy elite until the "articulate dialog" tax.Now we can't afford stones for stone soup.
#9Pie_FOREVER(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 11:11:58 AM
xNewAgeWarriorx posted...
Lol at these

GUISE I CANT GO ON ANYMORE

just quit if you dont care and do something else. BLOGFAQS.

I think you're missing the point. It's just an interesting anecdotal conversation about the public's feelings toward a particular hobby. I'm not whining about anything. I'm simply stating various contrivances about the state of the industry and why we, as consumers, should even give a damn anymore when the stuff being produced is pretty much garbage en masse.

Not that there hasn't always been garbage, but even since gaming became a massive industry, there's a huge abundance of such trash now. I mean really, tell me what your feelings are about the next gen for instance, and contrast them to your feelings of this gen, and gen's past.
#10OrangeSchweesePosted 2/5/2013 11:14:58 AM
Considering there's a working VR console in the works (www.oculusvr.com), I think gaming is only going to get better from here on out. Unless the world ends.