This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Who is considering "giving up" on gaming after this current generation?

#11este914Posted 2/5/2013 12:17:31 PM
I truly doubt I will purchase any of the next gen consoles.... I simply dont have time to play like I used to. There is no reason for me to justify purchasing in the near future. Besides, my backlog is quite enormous so I will be busy with what I currently have for quite some time.
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#12huyiPosted 2/5/2013 12:30:28 PM(edited)
Pie_FOREVER posted...
I've been trying to find various justifications as to why I should care anymore. I don't know what happened but I've seemingly lost interest in games. I was a huge gamer. I've got a massive library of titles that range back to the early days of gaming, and I have found very little in recent months, and the past year or two that have really made me think "Wow, I can't wait for the next generation".

For some reason, the impending announcements of new consoles doesn't have the same kind of allure or excitement to it as it once did. There's nothing exciting or promising in the way of technology that truly makes you say "I NEED THIS". Gaming has turned into this behemoth of a money making venture that dumbed down everything for the masses, and the appeal for me, at least, is gone.

There are a few last hurrahs, planning on trying the demo for Ni No Kuni to see if that reinvigorates my excitement a bit. But hell, even Far Cry 3, which is a game that's great fun, I seemingly have lost interest in. This never happened before. I always finished games. I'm so close to the end and I haven't fired it back up in almost a month.

Is it maybe because we're not kids anymore?

you are not alone man, we must be in the majority, i don't care about ps4 or the next xbox, all that will happen is we will be paying for even more for games and getting ripped off with more dlc i hate the way gaming has turn into so much greed, it disgusts me because i grew up with such quality back in the day and now when i see what goes on the in gaming industry it absolutely disgusts me beyond belief, i'm done with gaming as a whole, i brought a wii u and that is it, no more for me i'm 30 now and i've seen more than enough XD

este914 posted...
I truly doubt I will purchase any of the next gen consoles.... I simply dont have time to play like I used to. There is no reason for me to justify purchasing in the near future. Besides, my backlog is quite enormous so I will be busy with what I currently have for quite some time.

same here, i simply don't have much time like i used to as a kid, i think that is another reason why i am not so serious about gaming anymore, i just don't have the patience and time to play anymore, i have more than enough backlog games to last me a decade i don't need anything new for a long while yet.
---
UK Female Gamer
PC specs: AMD FX BULLDOZER 4100 QUAD CORE 4.0ghz ATI HD6670 8GB RAM 1TB HDD Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/HUYI1
#13chiefofsb78Posted 2/5/2013 12:32:32 PM
Never considered giving up just cut back the games i play went from playing anything i get my hands on when i was younger to just playing mostly fighting games the genre i like the most problem solved you dont have to waste money and be disappointed on the games you buy anymore
---
WARNING: http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/Garfield64/boards
Is a very well known Troll, please do not fall for their shenanigans!
#14BokuxPicoPosted 2/5/2013 12:33:59 PM
I'm not excited about new consoles but who cares I'll play games until I die. It's not like consoles are everything. I can play old games on PC and I'll be happy to continue gaming as long as I want.
#15regsantotomasPosted 2/5/2013 12:34:17 PM
Pie_FOREVER posted...
I've been trying to find various justifications as to why I should care anymore. I don't know what happened but I've seemingly lost interest in games. I was a huge gamer. I've got a massive library of titles that range back to the early days of gaming, and I have found very little in recent months, and the past year or two that have really made me think "Wow, I can't wait for the next generation".

For some reason, the impending announcements of new consoles doesn't have the same kind of allure or excitement to it as it once did. There's nothing exciting or promising in the way of technology that truly makes you say "I NEED THIS". Gaming has turned into this behemoth of a money making venture that dumbed down everything for the masses, and the appeal for me, at least, is gone.

There are a few last hurrahs, planning on trying the demo for Ni No Kuni to see if that reinvigorates my excitement a bit. But hell, even Far Cry 3, which is a game that's great fun, I seemingly have lost interest in. This never happened before. I always finished games. I'm so close to the end and I haven't fired it back up in almost a month.

Is it maybe because we're not kids anymore?

No justification is needed on either side. It is either a hobby that continues to be fun for you or it isn't. It's really that simple

If you feel that it no longer provides you with the enjoyment that it should then stop gaming.

I personally feel that gaming is better than it has ever been with more choices on every front. Disinterest doesn't mean that gaming has gotten worse - it simply doesn't meet your particular needs.

I'm looking forward to decades more of gaming.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#16WiiFan77Posted 2/5/2013 12:34:53 PM
I gave up on Console games during this gen. But I'm still into handheld games, and I don't expect that to change.
---
Official Ditto of the Pokemon X/Y board.
Official Neko Shogun of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#17Ghetto_ninjaPosted 2/5/2013 12:35:40 PM
I think I'll hold out on a new home console for a long time. I just have too many games to play. I will get a vita though.
---
PSN ID: Psychonik
JUSTICE FOR TRAYVON!
#18PokeLord473Posted 2/5/2013 12:36:15 PM
I'll be watching the scene carefully while I bide my time catching up on all the games from this gen.
---
Dust 514 One Universe // One War
Proud member of ZionTCD http://ziontcd.enjin.com/
#19NicodimusPosted 2/5/2013 12:42:41 PM
At launch, the PS3 had new features that lifted it up far beyond the PS2:

-A clean, simple interface that was nicely organized, and supported custom themes
-Lighter, wireless controllers with Sixaxis
-an internal hard drive that was upgradeable
-very good multimedia file playback (supports lossless audio via HDMI, reads most common file types, plays SACDs)
-PS1/PS2 compatibility (and built in memory cards, and upscaling/texture smoothing)
-it was the best blu-ray player at the time

What is new about the PS4, other than some graphical improvements? If they're planning on selling me on the PS4 with a useless gimmick like having a little screen on the controller, it's not going to happen.
---
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
#20JoveHackPosted 2/5/2013 12:43:04 PM
PokeLord473 posted...
I'll be watching the scene carefully while I bide my time catching up on all the games from this gen.

I can understand that, because that's what I'm doing in this generation. The only two games I'm interested in for the PS3 are Portal and Portal 2. I've managed to play Portal 1, and Portal 2 can wait.

Other than that, PS2 games seem to have more heart, a better sense of place, and better movement than anything this gen. I've seen enough slow, awkward characters like in BioShock and Dead Space to last me a lifetime.

It makes it good to go back to Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy to see what graceful agility was possible. So much of today's gaming seems to be awkward set pieces barely held together with barely competent movement.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved
http://primal.wikia.com