This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Who is considering "giving up" on gaming after this current generation?

#21Pie_FOREVER(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 11:45:03 AM
regsantotomas posted...
Pie_FOREVER posted...
I've been trying to find various justifications as to why I should care anymore. I don't know what happened but I've seemingly lost interest in games. I was a huge gamer. I've got a massive library of titles that range back to the early days of gaming, and I have found very little in recent months, and the past year or two that have really made me think "Wow, I can't wait for the next generation".

For some reason, the impending announcements of new consoles doesn't have the same kind of allure or excitement to it as it once did. There's nothing exciting or promising in the way of technology that truly makes you say "I NEED THIS". Gaming has turned into this behemoth of a money making venture that dumbed down everything for the masses, and the appeal for me, at least, is gone.

There are a few last hurrahs, planning on trying the demo for Ni No Kuni to see if that reinvigorates my excitement a bit. But hell, even Far Cry 3, which is a game that's great fun, I seemingly have lost interest in. This never happened before. I always finished games. I'm so close to the end and I haven't fired it back up in almost a month.

Is it maybe because we're not kids anymore?

No justification is needed on either side. It is either a hobby that continues to be fun for you or it isn't. It's really that simple

If you feel that it no longer provides you with the enjoyment that it should then stop gaming.

I personally feel that gaming is better than it has ever been with more choices on every front. Disinterest doesn't mean that gaming has gotten worse - it simply doesn't meet your particular needs.

I'm looking forward to decades more of gaming.

If only it were that simple. I love the games from yesteryear. And this generation has provided many great gems to experience. The problem is the bigger picture which is the business model of gaming. The "micro transaction", endless add on nonsense that would have otherwise been part of the entire experience. With the advent of storage capacity and different ways to deliver goods came the nickel and diming peddling by companies seeking to expand their quarterly profits at the gamer's expense.

That's my biggest issue. What gaming does to not actually meet my needs is give me incentive to invest time into new games that provide no real entertainment or value, just half assed and poorly realized worlds that expect you to pay more to experience "fully" after you've already shelled 60 dollars out for the privilege of playing it. It's not so much about "stopping" gaming as it is not buying into the new generation, and instead playing everything I already own as the alternative.
#22enigma2274Posted 2/5/2013 11:46:26 AM
Been playing since the Atari 2600 and I'll never quit. IMO games get better with every passing year. But I'm not hung up on the PS2 like some people.
---
Currently playing:EDF 2017, P3P, LBP Vita, Far Cry 3, Ni No Kuni
#23huyiPosted 2/5/2013 12:05:03 PM(edited)
Pie_FOREVER posted...

If only it were that simple. I love the games from yesteryear. And this generation has provided many great gems to experience. The problem is the bigger picture which is the business model of gaming. The "micro transaction", endless add on nonsense that would have otherwise been part of the entire experience. With the advent of storage capacity and different ways to deliver goods came the nickel and diming peddling by companies seeking to expand their quarterly profits at the gamer's expense.

That's my biggest issue. What gaming does to not actually meet my needs is give me incentive to invest time into new games that provide no real entertainment or value, just half assed and poorly realized worlds that expect you to pay more to experience "fully" after you've already shelled 60 dollars out for the privilege of playing it. It's not so much about "stopping" gaming as it is not buying into the new generation, and instead playing everything I already own as the alternative.

yep, all it comes down to is CORPORAL GREED and they will keep on getting rich because people are too blinded to stop and vote with their wallets and say NO, till that happens expect gaming as a whole to change a lot over the years, if the android market and IOS is not a warning then i am not sure what is tbh.

current gaming to me is dead, i don't want anymore part of it nor am i interested in anymore new games when this current gen is over, that is it for me.

enigma2274 posted...
Been playing since the Atari 2600 and I'll never quit. IMO games get better with every passing year. But I'm not hung up on the PS2 like some people.

so if you have been playing computer games for 30 years and you have experienced everything gaming has to offer, haven't you noticed how much gaming as a whole has changed for the worse? if you were a gaming golden age kid then you will know how good the nes and snes days were back then compared to how everything has changed now, i feel privilege to grow up as a 80's kid and experiencing the best era in gaming, that kind of experience will never happen again, i feel sorry for kids who have to grow up with current gaming.
---
UK Female Gamer
PC specs: AMD FX BULLDOZER 4100 QUAD CORE 4.0ghz ATI HD6670 8GB RAM 1TB HDD Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/HUYI1
#24kcypher2000Posted 2/5/2013 12:03:43 PM
Not at all gaming this gen was amazing and im really hyped for
Next gen. I havent even given up on internet whiners like the tc who i know will always find something to complain about and lack the memory capacity to recall that last gen people whined too.
#25Pie_FOREVER(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 12:06:38 PM
kcypher2000 posted...
Next gen. I havent even given up on internet whiners like the tc who i know will always find something to complain about and lack the memory capacity to recall that last gen people whined too.

Might want to read through the thread before generalizing people as "whiners", buddy. Your argument has about as much substance as a grain of salt.
#26Stanger5150Posted 2/5/2013 12:10:48 PM
Where's the "not getting in to next gen, but not giving up gaming" option?

You don't have to play on current hardware to be a gamer.
---
PSN- BlackRain8782
Now playing: Far Cry 3, Jak and Daxter, Mega Man X Collection, Yo! Noid, Batman Returns, Jaws"
#27huyiPosted 2/5/2013 12:11:06 PM
kcypher2000 posted...

for christ sake, this is why gaming as a whole is a lost cause because of fools like you who make the gaming industry rich and line their pockets with gold, this topic is a fruitless lost cause and a waste of time i think i am done here, thanks for a great topic OP but i think you wasted your time trying to have a OPINION on current events, it seems a lot of people don't want you to have a OPINION at all.
---
UK Female Gamer
PC specs: AMD FX BULLDOZER 4100 QUAD CORE 4.0ghz ATI HD6670 8GB RAM 1TB HDD Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/HUYI1
#28squon8888Posted 2/5/2013 12:17:35 PM
Pie_FOREVER posted...
I've been trying to find various justifications as to why I should care anymore. I don't know what happened but I've seemingly lost interest in games. I was a huge gamer. I've got a massive library of titles that range back to the early days of gaming, and I have found very little in recent months, and the past year or two that have really made me think "Wow, I can't wait for the next generation".

For some reason, the impending announcements of new consoles doesn't have the same kind of allure or excitement to it as it once did. There's nothing exciting or promising in the way of technology that truly makes you say "I NEED THIS". Gaming has turned into this behemoth of a money making venture that dumbed down everything for the masses, and the appeal for me, at least, is gone.

There are a few last hurrahs, planning on trying the demo for Ni No Kuni to see if that reinvigorates my excitement a bit. But hell, even Far Cry 3, which is a game that's great fun, I seemingly have lost interest in. This never happened before. I always finished games. I'm so close to the end and I haven't fired it back up in almost a month.

Is it maybe because we're not kids anymore?

Im quitting and not buying a next gen console cause of where the industry is headed with all this online pass BS, DLC, companies selling incomplete games.
#29mrhappyguy12345Posted 2/5/2013 12:19:45 PM
OtakuGamera posted...
i want to choose no, but even that option makes it seems like gaming has gone to s*** lately, so no and no.

---
I love video games : )
#30ArkonBladePosted 2/5/2013 12:21:27 PM
I don't see it happening to me yet.
---
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow