This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Who is considering "giving up" on gaming after this current generation?

#41Merc123Posted 2/6/2013 3:10:39 AM
For me i am kind of fed up with gaming for a couple reasons this gen, but its such a huge hobby of mine, i know i will keep on gaming into the next generation.

The push for DLC, shooters becoming ramapant and the fact that you either need to be a AAA title or your screwed really dragged this gen down IMO.
---
http://www.facebook.com/MEmarauder - Marauder Shields Facebook page.
#42OEIO999Posted 2/6/2013 3:18:21 AM
Probably not. I'm optimistic but not holding my breath.

Games on our current gen-consoles should be dazzling with Grade-A graphics, extensive details and superb gameplay/mechanics by now. But in reality, most are able to accomplish only one of them at best.
#43Pharsti01Posted 2/6/2013 3:33:50 AM
That will depend, i doubt i will, love gaming too much.

But, if the next systems follow Nintendos rule of region locking.... then ill probably have to wait till someone finds a way to bypass it. Im done with that, not supporting any company that goes that route.
#44Evel138Posted 2/6/2013 4:05:22 AM
"Give up on gaming" is a bit melodramatic IMHO. I mean, I get it....I was young once too and understand melodrama is a very typical way in which a child tries to emphasize his point.

I just have a hard time believing that any "gamer" that is so involved in the activity of gaming that they're on message boards such as GameFAQs......even despite any complaint they have......is going to simply "give up on gaming".
---
GT/PSN: Evel138 Sackboy
http://fav.me/d5qo006
#45DeGamer81Posted 2/6/2013 4:09:51 AM
I probably won't give up on gaming, but I may be changing companies that I buy games from. A lot of my old favs have really disappointed me this gen.
#46TiranadelPosted 2/6/2013 4:36:02 AM
Hm..

For me, I doubt I will since I like games too much to do so.

I'm somewhat optimistic about the future, so I'll wait and see what happens.
#47Cvdf3Posted 2/6/2013 4:38:00 AM
Gaming has always been in a terrible state. Look at the shovel-ware on the NES...
---
If you build your shop in front of an arrow trap, sometimes you are going to get shot by an arrow.
#48nouseravailablePosted 2/6/2013 5:17:12 AM
I wont quit but ill game on portables and maybe Wii-U.
---
NP: Ocarina of Time 3D and P4Arena
#49secondhand1Posted 2/6/2013 7:54:45 AM(edited)
Pie_FOREVER posted...

The problem is the bigger picture which is the business model of gaming. The "micro transaction", endless add on nonsense that would have otherwise been part of the entire experience. With the advent of storage capacity and different ways to deliver goods came the nickel and diming peddling by companies seeking to expand their quarterly profits at the gamer's expense.

That's my biggest issue. What gaming does to not actually meet my needs is give me incentive to invest time into new games that provide no real entertainment or value, just half assed and poorly realized worlds that expect you to pay more to experience "fully" after you've already shelled 60 dollars out for the privilege of playing it.

I think your biggest issue is not really thinking logically. Just because something on its face may seem personally disagreeable, doesn't really mean it is. Until you know the details, any commentary on the subject is incredibly shortsighted and often regresses into irrational defenses.

Don't like DLC or microtransactions? Awesome. That doesn't mean that those things are born of greed or ego. It isn't necessary, nor does it detract from the core of the game; it's add-on content. You don't know the circumstances under which it may have been produced, so when you paint this picture of an industry in peril and blind gamers perpetuating it by buying content that interests them, it comes off as very disingenuous.

While it's unfortunate that you believe you've lost the love of your hobby, it isn't due to the doom and gloom that you prophesy here.
---
The inherent idiocy of youth often outweighs its many advantages.
#50glory of power metalPosted 2/6/2013 9:07:51 AM
secondhand1 posted...
Pie_FOREVER posted...

The problem is the bigger picture which is the business model of gaming. The "micro transaction", endless add on nonsense that would have otherwise been part of the entire experience. With the advent of storage capacity and different ways to deliver goods came the nickel and diming peddling by companies seeking to expand their quarterly profits at the gamer's expense.

That's my biggest issue. What gaming does to not actually meet my needs is give me incentive to invest time into new games that provide no real entertainment or value, just half assed and poorly realized worlds that expect you to pay more to experience "fully" after you've already shelled 60 dollars out for the privilege of playing it.

I think your biggest issue is not really thinking logically. Just because something on its face may seem personally disagreeable, doesn't really mean it is. Until you know the details, any commentary on the subject is incredibly shortsighted and often regresses into irrational defenses.

Don't like DLC or microtransactions? Awesome. That doesn't mean that those things are born of greed or ego. It isn't necessary, nor does it detract from the core of the game; it's add-on content. You don't know the circumstances under which it may have been produced, so when you paint this picture of an industry in peril and blind gamers perpetuating it by buying content that interests them, it comes off as very disingenuous.

While it's unfortunate that you believe you've lost the love of your hobby, it isn't due to the doom and gloom that you prophesy here.

Every now and then I see a rational post and I need to double check and make sure I'm still on the PS3 board.
---
i7-950 3.4GHz | GeForce GTX 285 | 16 GB DDR3 | NEC 2490WUXi 1920x1200
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher