This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is it that gamers rely too much on IGN...

#1MGS4SNAKEPosted 2/5/2013 1:47:43 PM
or Gamespot and nearly every gaming critic?

I've always thought what if they were to give an obvious below mediocre game a score of 9.5/10, will they still buy it? I believe they will and its plain sad, vice versa...then you got a game like Arkham City, which is overpraised and was given a 9+ when its actually below 7, even at that score its playable.

Why do you rely on scores to buy it? did it ever occur to anyone thats THEIR opinion, they aren't talking to you! its what THEY think of the game.

RE6 was given a super low score, alot of ppl loved it and hated it, i'm confused. If only RE6 was given a 9, I wonder how many of you would of given it praise. If can reverse time temporarily and change the score, hypocrisy. I just know it.
---
What Arnold calls hell in Predator, Rambo calls home.
#2steker16Posted 2/5/2013 1:49:27 PM
because people are sheep, especially gamers
---
nomnomnom
#3DanMcPosted 2/5/2013 1:52:48 PM
Its not so much the scores, its the words. When you suspect something about a game, and then hear in a review that the problem is confirmed, why waste your money?

When I watch a review, I'm looking to hear if what I thought would be fun about a game is actually fun.
---
I just want to be known as the best ever, is that too much to ask?
#4DefYouthPosted 2/5/2013 1:53:35 PM
Gamers take reviews way too seriously, both good and bad. Throw trolls into the mix and it spins out of control.
---
Well, if I'm going to hell, I'm going there playing the piano. - Jerry Lee Lewis
#5regsantotomasPosted 2/5/2013 1:56:45 PM
While I don't simply rely on reviews, they can be a useful tool in making a purchasing decision. Certainly there are videos or ideally, demos out there for some games. It is simply one methodology used in making a purchasing decision.

Not everyone has the ability or willingness to play it first by renting it or otherwise.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#6HBOSSPosted 2/5/2013 1:58:16 PM
EP here!

Victor Lucas lead me to gaming heaven!
---
You don't stop playing because you grow old,
You grow old because you stop playing
#7BurgerTime79Posted 2/5/2013 1:59:58 PM
The trolls and the people who can't think for themselves rely on them.
If I only bought the games reviewers gave a 9.0 or higher to, or the games everyone insisted I buy, then I would have missed out on a lot of games. I'd also be going around these boards copy/pasting how bad certain games are just because someone else told me it was bad.
---
Gordon Ramsay, the Mr Resetti of cooking
#8DefYouthPosted 2/5/2013 2:00:15 PM
Yeah, reviews have their place and I read many of them but some people treat them as the gospel. One guy plays a game, writes a review and suddenly that's the last word on the subject.
---
Well, if I'm going to hell, I'm going there playing the piano. - Jerry Lee Lewis