This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why cant more developers make good games like Sly Thieves in Time?

#11thompsontalker7Posted 2/5/2013 8:26:24 PM
Secret anti-FPS topic
---
Not removing this until Dr. Dre's Detox album is out. 11/22/08
THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK THY HAND IN TV, DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!
#12FiendingHardPosted 2/5/2013 8:44:09 PM
JoveHack posted...
In return, this.

The Edge ExPlay Panel: Journey how jumping can be emotional
http://www.edge-online.com/features/opinion-designing-rapture%E2%80%A8%E2%80%A8/

...The jumping is where Journey breaks your heart....

That's really something. Jumping really is special, it elevates us and makes us feel as thought we're soaring through the sky. Games that don't have it feel lacking (understandable given the game design), and games that don't pull it off right feel... wrong. I never liked the jump in God of War (feels stiff and heavy) meanwhile I love the jumps in DMC and Bayonetta. Especially the double jumps.
---
What is faith then but persistent hope in the face of relentless doubt.
Now Playing: Doom 3 BFG, Fire Emblem Awakening, Torchlight 2, Final Fantasy 9.
#13JoveHackPosted 2/5/2013 9:01:15 PM
FiendingHard posted...

That's really something. Jumping really is special, it elevates us and makes us feel as thought we're soaring through the sky. Games that don't have it feel lacking (understandable given the game design), and games that don't pull it off right feel... wrong. I never liked the jump in God of War (feels stiff and heavy) meanwhile I love the jumps in DMC and Bayonetta. Especially the double jumps.

In God of War 2 it got worse with Icarus' Wings, where every flight ends in a dumping descent. The exact opposite of what it should do, leaving a feeling of impotence instead of delight.

Tomb Raider: Legend and Tomb Raider: Anniversary had a contradictory approach. Ordinary jumping was context sensitive. If there was something Lara could reach by jumping, she'd do a full jump up while reaching up to grab. If there wasn't something in reach, she'd do this disappointing little girly hop.

It was like having her wings clipped after playing her with full jumping at all times in Tomb Raider 1 and Tomb Raider 2. In fact, jumping while running was almost standard operating procedure, just for the lightweight feel of it. (Watch a speed run of the old games to see what I mean.)

But that just provided motivation for the player to master Lara's signature move, the swan dive. It can work while running and makes a booted archaeologist seem graceful.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved
http://primal.wikia.com
#14Shovel_Break(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 11:04:56 PM
thompsontalker7 posted...
Secret anti-FPS topic

Most modern games you mean
---
May 7th 2013 - Naughty Dog's "The Last of Us"
Gaming will reach a new level (Only on PlayStation)
#15Jon_GodPosted 2/6/2013 12:45:49 AM
It's a shame, because I really like the genres Nintendo pushes, I just don't really like any of their games anymore. :(
---
PS3 Fan, but doesn't mind other systems. PSN: Jon_God, XBL: Ernie the Bear
http://savemgo.com/forums/