This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Classic RPGs ~ / ~ And their Definitive Versions

#1Arsene-LupinPosted 2/6/2013 12:30:15 AM
What does it mean to be a Classic?

Anything "classic," be it a game, literature, music, film, aesthetic, language, etc., is something timeless. Something that, despite barriers of time and language and culture remains powerful. Something that has, if you'll excuse the cliche, withstood the test of time. As a gamer and an RPG aficionado, I would like to compile a list of the classic RPGs of all time--and, where necessary (in the case of multiple editions of a single game, in the form of ports, remakes and/or re-imaginings) determine which version of a classic game is the best version.

My own experience with the RPGs of yore is, sadly, limited. So I request collaboration: help me fill out this list, to make it as full and complete and accurate as possible. The criteria for this list are simple enough: to be a classic, a game must possess that timeless quality, that potent, unforgettable, indescribable appeal--but it must also be old. Whether a game leans a bit outside of the "genre" matters not; whether a game is of American or Japanese origin matters not; whether a game follows the Western or Eastern aesthetic matters not. For the purposes of this list, I am limiting the titles to RPGs no later than 10 years ago--circa 2002. I think it may be prudent, however, to also include a list of newer games that meet the same subjective criteria, but list them separately as "presumptive classics" because we can only presume them to remain in our collective consciousness in the ensuing years and decades.

(Note: games that are NOT playable in English are NOT eligible for this list)

So, please: here's the list I've created based partly on my own experiences and those of a few others--Help me improve it!
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#2Arsene-Lupin(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 12:30:27 AM
Classic RPGs ~ / ~ And their Definitive Versions

Arcanum
Baldur's Gate ... (Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition; PC, updated port)
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest ... (Dragon Quest I & II; Nintendo SNES, port)
Dragon Quest II ... (Dragon Quest I & II; Nintendo SNES, port)
Dragon Quest III ... (Dragon Quest III; Nintendo SNES, original)
Dragon Quest IV ... (Dragon Quest IV; Nintendo SNES, original)
Dragon Quest V ... (Dragon Quest V; Nintendo DS, remake)
Dragon Quest VI ... (Dragon Quest VI; Nintendo DS, remake)
Dragon Quest VII*
Dragon Quest VIII
Earthbound
E.V.O. Search for Eden
Fallout
Fallout 2
Final Fantasy ... (Final Fantasy Origins; Sony PS1, remake)
Final Fantasy II ... (Final Fantasy Origins; Sony PS1, remake)
Final Fantasy III ... (Final Fantasy III; Nintendo DS / Sony PSP, remake)
Final Fantasy IV ... (Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection; Sony PSP, remake)
Final Fantasy V ... (Final Fantasy V Advance; Nintendo GBA, updated port)
Final Fantasy VI ... (Final Fantasy VI Advance; Nintendo GBA, updated port)
Final Fantasy VII ... (Final Fantasy VII; Sony PS1, original)
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X*
Final Fantasy Tactics ... (Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions; Sony PSP, remake)
Lufia & the Fortress of Doom
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
Mother 3
Planescape Torment
Secret of Mana
Secret of Mana II
Star Control 2 ... (The Ur-Quan Masters; PC, remake)
Star Ocean ... (Star Ocean: First Departure; Sony PSP, remake)
Star Ocean 2 ... (Star Ocean; Second Evolution; Sony PSP, remake)
Suikoden
Suikoden II
Tales of Destiny
Terranigma
Wild Arms ... (Wild Arms: Alter Code F; Sony PS2, remake)
Wild Arms II
Xenogears
Ys III ... (Ys: The Oath in Felghana; Sony PSP / PC, remake)
Ys IV ... (Ys: Memories of Celceta; Sony PSV)
Legend of Zelda
Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ... (Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D; Nintendo 3DS, updated port)
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker*
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#3Arsene-Lupin(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 12:31:18 AM
Presumptive Classic RPGs ~ / ~ And their Definitive Versions

Dark Souls ... (Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition; PC, port)
Dragon Quest IX
Final Fantasy XII
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Persona 3 ... (Persona 3 Portable; Sony PSP, remake)
Persona 4 ... (Persona 4 The Golden; Sony PSV, remake)
Suikoden V
Wild Arms V
The Witcher
The Witcher 2 ... (The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition; PC, original)
Xenoblade Chronicles
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess ... (Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess; Nintendo GC, original)
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Key Terms
>An asterisk (*) denotes a game for which there is a new version (a port, updated port or remake) currently in development, but not yet released.
>Original means the original, first-released version of the game--which further indicates that any existing ports, updated ports or remakes are inferior to the original game.
>Updated Port means a re-release of the game that is basically a port of the original, but with small changes and/or tweaks to improve the experience... including adjustments to the script, rules set, game content, translation, and/or user interface.
>A remake means a complete rebuilding of the the original game on a new platform. This label includes re-imaginings--remakes that dramatically alter the core narrative and mechanical elements of the game while staying true to the general themes/outline of the original.
---
#4kupo1705Posted 2/6/2013 12:32:01 AM
Is the EE really the best version of BG?
I'm pretty sure the original with mods is much better.
#5OmegaPosted 2/6/2013 12:35:10 AM
Isn't the iPad version of FFT the definitive one?
---
When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself.
#6Arsene-Lupin(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 12:36:50 AM
ThFrom: kupo1705 | #004
Is the EE really the best version of BG?
I'm pretty sure the original with mods is much better.

The only important mod BGEE is incompatible with is NPC project, which is currently being worked on and should be compatible in the next few weeks/days. Mechanics-wise, BGEE is now at least equal to vanilla BG now that most of the bugs have been fixed, and superior for those with high resolution displays (the game can run widescreen natively; can display at 1080p w/out distorting the game image, etc.).

But, like I said, I'm doing this to gather opinions. I'm not the voice of god here. Half the reason I'm doing this is to share incredible games with my peers; the other half is for my peers to share incredible games with me!
---
#7Arsene-Lupin(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 12:37:18 AM

I haven't heard that. What makes it superior the the PSP remake?
---
#8OmegaPosted 2/6/2013 12:38:03 AM
And aren't the iOs and the PSP releases of FF1 and 2 superior to the PS1 version?

This list brings us things to debate!
---
When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself.
#9OmegaPosted 2/6/2013 12:39:22 AM
Arsene-Lupin posted...

I haven't heard that. What makes it superior the the PSP remake?

I dunno, probably has less slow down. Time for research.
---
#10Arsene-Lupin(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 12:40:14 AM
This list brings us things to debate!

That's the point!

These aren't all -MY- opinions. I, personally, think the PSP remakes of FF1 and FF2 are better, but Origins is more faithful to the original.

As for the iOS Final Fantasies--at least 1-3--I've heard very negative things about the implementation of touch controls. Basically, that they don't work well and make menu navigation tedious. I can't speak from experience (here, or with maybe 60% of the games I listed).
---