This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Classic RPGs ~ / ~ And their Definitive Versions

#11Kit_SakurazukaPosted 2/6/2013 12:40:54 AM
A classic is something that everyone wants to have read, and nobody wants to read - Mark Twain.

:\ I'm sad not to see Vagrant Story on your list.
---
Sony/Yaoi fangirl | Original voices only! | PSN: Elthara
Playing: Tales of Graces F UNDUB, Soul Calibur V (Leixia-main), Resonance of Fate second cycle.
#12megaultrarice34Posted 2/6/2013 12:59:44 AM
Tales of Destiny's definitive version is the director's cut version of the PS2 remake
---
PSN: OceanSupermarket
#13VorzalPosted 2/6/2013 1:09:31 AM
I'm not clear which version of chrono trigger is being referenced, but the ds port/minor update is usually considered to be superior.

I would not agree with the psp version of persona 3 as being superior, fwiw.
---
"Dear diary: Today I was pompous and my sister was crazy. Today we were kidnapped by hill folk, never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."
#14Arsene-Lupin(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 1:24:16 AM
Vagrant Story's ommission is... shameful. I'm sorry. And that's one of the games I -have- played. Yikes.
As for Tales of Destiny... I was under the impression the PS2 remake was only released in Japan. Was it translated into English (either officially or via a fan patch)?
As for Persona 3, the PSP version has all of the FES content, plus even more additional content, so I think that makes up for the few things the PS2 versions have over it (well, one thing--the 3D environments).

Anyway, because I can't edit my opening post, and in the interests of making everything easier, I've re-posted everything on my blog. It's easier to read, and more practical, as I've set up links to the various wikipedia entries for each game. Here it is, if anyone's curious. I'll be updating it based on any discussion, debate or recommendation here in this thread, and elsewhere.
http://red-shoulders.blogspot.com/2013/02/classic-rpgs-and-their-definitive.html
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#15megaultrarice34Posted 2/6/2013 1:32:52 AM(edited)
Yeah, there is a fanbase english translation patch for Tales, but it hasn't been released yet.

You can just disregard it, but the DC remake is substantially superior than the vanilla version.
---
PSN: OceanSupermarket
#16Seifer_usPosted 2/6/2013 1:51:38 AM(edited)
Just from skimming the list, I would say there are quite a few entries missing, particularly Japan-only titles that were groundbreaking or highly influential in Japan's gaming landscape. I suggest adding:

Chrono Cross
Emerald Dragon (The Japanese-only PC Engine CD release is arguably the best, but it has many incarnations.)
Far East of Eden (Tengai Makyou)
Mother
Ore no Shikabane wo Koeteyuke (Over My Dead Body)
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Phantasy Star
Shining Force
Skies of Arcadia
Suikoden III
Ultima
Vagrant Story
Wizardry
Ys 1+2 (I'm partial to the PC Engine, but the PSP one is pretty good too.)

I'd also add that you gave a stipulation of 2002, but a few of the games listed were published well past then, like Dragon Quest VIII, and should probably be under "presumptive classics". I'm also not sure how I feel about Zelda as an RPG. I mean, if we're going that route, you might as well throw Shenmue in there.

EDIT: Well crap, I missed the part about being playable in English. That cuts out Ore no Shikabane and Far East of Eden, but everything else has an English version or a translation patch (ones for Far East of Eden are in the works recently, though).
---
PSN ID: Shawnji
Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Shawnji
#17Dicer7Posted 2/6/2013 1:38:12 AM
P3P doesn't have The Answer, though, which is pretty substantial to the canon.
#18weskers errand boyPosted 2/6/2013 2:52:45 AM(edited)
Chrono Trigger ... (DS, updated port with new content)
Final Fantasy (Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition, PSP; remake)
Final Fantasy II (PSP, remake)
Final Fantasy III (PSP, 3D remake!)
Final Fantasy IV (Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection, PSP, remake with new content)
Final Fantasy V (Final Fantasy V Advance, GBA, updated port-no PS1 videos)
Final Fantasy VI (Final Fantasy VI Advance, GBA, updated port -no PS1 videos)
Legend of Zelda (BS Legend of Zelda, SNES, remake) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaV4pIhoRxY
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Four Swords, GBA, remake)
Lunar: Silver Star Story (Lunar Silver Star Harmony, PSP, remake)
Shining Force (Shining Force: Resurrection of Dark Dragon, GBA, remake with new content)
Shining Force Gaiden & Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya (Shining Force CD, Sega CD, remake)

More about Shining Force... Shining Force II is best played on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for the PS3 because you don't have to worry about your save battery dying at some point. Also If you're going to play Shining Force CD I recommend using the Sega CD memory cartridge or you'll lose your characters xp at every new book, because SFCD takes up 99 blocks per book (but the 1 block system file saves your progress after completing a book at least if you don't have the cartridge.)
---
RIP Everquest Online Adventures 2003-2012
#19DefYouthPosted 2/6/2013 2:51:20 AM
Omega posted...
And aren't the iOs and the PSP releases of FF1 and 2 superior to the PS1 version?

This list brings us things to debate!

They're definitely prettier but also way easier. Which do you prefer? Kind of a toss up. I'll take Origins myself.
---
Well, if I'm going to hell, I'm going there playing the piano. - Jerry Lee Lewis
#20Arsene-Lupin(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 2:38:28 PM
All right... list is updated. Again, because I can't edit posts, check the blog listing for the up-to-date list. I've changed a few things, but I have not changed FF1/FF2 because I've seen plenty of arguments in favor of Origins, and none really against. I think the PSP remakes were "supposed to be" superior, but some fans didn't like the change in tone, difficulty, art style, etc., and Origins is pretty much 100% true to the original titles.

@Seifer_us
Added most of the games you mentioned, save a few. I'm not seeing a case for Ultima. Review averages are pretty low, and it's a huge franchise. Did you mean one of the sequels, perhaps?

@weskers errand boy
Added the (few) games there that weren't already in the list, save a few. I looked into the SNES remake of Legend of Zelda. It seems both too rare, and plagued by too many issues to commend it over the original.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."