This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

EDGE: Next Xbox to block used game. MS = anti-consumer, Sony = pro-consumer

#11true_gamer80Posted 2/6/2013 10:16:39 AM
I know ppl of GF....lets act like immature children and instead of playing some games(such an amazing conept here huh lol) lets whine and get in fights over rumors, I mean what would a day a GF be like without irrelvant fighting
---
Real Hip Hop...I miss the 90's-Puppets Of Chaos - Tru Dat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqxBDN-cv08
#12Battleship_GrayPosted 2/6/2013 10:17:09 AM
I don't think / don't hope it's true. Reliability issues aside the 360 is a good system and a did a lot to address the weaknesses of the OG X-Box. I can't see MS making such a huge step back from what the customer base wants / needs.
---
http://e-carpenter.tumblr.com/ http://citizen-industries.deviantart.com
PSN/XBL: Citizen Soldat
#13nihilist212Posted 2/6/2013 10:19:19 AM
IHeartMetroid posted...
I'm not going to get ANY system that blocks used games. Don't care who makes it.

Same here. If Sony does it, then I'll either buy nothing or a WiiU. WIll just depend on the WiiU library at the time I go to make a decision on it.
---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero
#14IHeartMetroidPosted 2/6/2013 10:19:56 AM
true_gamer80 posted...
I know ppl of GF....lets act like immature children and instead of playing some games(such an amazing conept here huh lol) lets whine and get in fights over rumors, I mean what would a day a GF be like without irrelvant fighting

See, that's the thing. If this article is true, Microsoft is shooting itself in the foot. They plan on releasing a brand new "next gen" system that's horribly underpowered right out of the gate and is anticonsumer enough to force users to submit to insane "activation" crap and forced always-on-internet...

Basically for people that love games, it means that one of the major players won't be making consoles after this generation, since the Next XBox will fail so miserably.
---
Currently ignoring 2 users.
If I haven't responded to a post directly addressed to me, that's probably why.
#15IHeartMetroidPosted 2/6/2013 10:21:47 AM
nihilist212 posted...
IHeartMetroid posted...
I'm not going to get ANY system that blocks used games. Don't care who makes it.

Same here. If Sony does it, then I'll either buy nothing or a WiiU. WIll just depend on the WiiU library at the time I go to make a decision on it.

Agreed.
---
Currently ignoring 2 users.
If I haven't responded to a post directly addressed to me, that's probably why.
#16regsantotomasPosted 2/6/2013 10:32:11 AM
This isn't the first time this rumor has been lobbed out there and there is no way to verify the veracity of any of it.

That being said, it would be interesting if games were, in fact, locked to a single gamer tag. The bigger question is - how are publishers going to react? Are we going to see games exclusively available on these "non-used-supporting" platforms and not others?

The requirement to be always online would be more troublesome IMO and difficult for me to support. The lack of a used game market is less bothersome.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#17Infinite 2003Posted 2/6/2013 10:42:43 AM
Love the fanboyism in this topic. Sony's the only one to publicly patent anti used software but everyone's making them out to be some white knight, while Microsoft is bad and evil because of rumors about them doing the same thing. lol
---
Go Habs Go!
http://a.yfrog.com/img858/4876/ycqzy.jpg
#18regsantotomasPosted 2/6/2013 10:44:28 AM
Infinite 2003 posted...
Love the fanboyism in this topic. Sony's the only one to publicly patent anti used software but everyone's making them out to be some white knight, while Microsoft is bad and evil because of rumors about them doing the same thing. lol

To be fair, while Sony may have applied for such a patent, the implementation of locking out games to single users wouldn't be all that difficult if each game required a key that would be then attached to a user profile.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#19MUD VIPERPosted 2/6/2013 10:50:49 AM
Excuse me OTR, how is sony pro consumer?

Sony filed a patent late last year that could mean the PS4 won't play used or second hand games. The patent, US Patent Application 20130007892, describes "a game playing system [including] a use permission tag provided for use in a game disk for a user of a game, a disk drive, and a reproduction device for reproducing the game." Essentially, this means that a device similar to an RFID or or near-field communication (NFC) tag built into the game disc would tie it to a particular console or console user.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/games/1296454/ps4-release-date-specs-price-rumours/2
---
Console bug testing has been outsourced to gamers now. For $60 you too can become a game tester.