This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If Sony and Microsoft both block used games next gen what will you do?

#111gjc2007Posted 2/6/2013 5:54:10 PM
A pirate was most likely never going to pay for the game at all no matter what.

A used game buyer decided to buy the game but then went ahead and gave full price -$5 to the parasites (Gamestop) instead.

Only in the second case is an actual sale lost to the people who made the game.

-"Business too Business"

-how retail works

-find a single industry that has been harmed by ebay/garage sales/renting/any second hand market ever

-look up the average price of used games (I'll even tell you: It's $20, not $55. You can look it up)

-used game deals/sales vs new game deals/sales

-how the value of games is decreasing faster than ever. Funny how it coincides with the increased presence of things like DLC, online passes and other anti-used measures (devalue the used game and you're only going to devalue the new one)

I could sit here and pick this apart for hours.
---
Why used games don't hurt the industry and why content passes are bull****: http://umthumbs.gametrailers.com/users/noobiablos/gamepad/?
#112IIIJAYIIIPosted 2/6/2013 5:54:55 PM
Halo: Reach is the last used game I'm going to get and then I will be finding new games at a cheap price. Didn't have a good experience at GameStop last time. Found someone's pubic hair in the game case. That S*** was nasty.
#113lostkiwiPosted 2/6/2013 6:10:50 PM
I don't understand those who say they would swap to PC - PC blocked used game sales a decade ago. Other than a few rare and isolated cases there is no such thing as a used game on the PC.

So you'd decide to move from the consoles because they block used games, to instead to a gaming machine that started the entire trend of blocking used games?

That's kinda ironic don't you think?

In terms of used games DRM, the PC is all over the place. since it comes down to the publisher. Here are some example:

- A fixed number of activations that is actually possible to use up if you change PC rigs, and therefore possibly meaning you can't even play your game

- Always online DRM, even on single player games, that automatically forces you out of the game should you ever lose your internet connection, even for a moment.

- The force installation of third party programs that persistently monitor your gaming (effectively spyware) to ensure that you're playing legal copies.

These are just some examples. But in terms of DRM, the PC can be pretty extreme at times.

At least with the consoles the DRM would be controlled by Sony/Microsoft, and not the publishers, so at least the experience would be consistent.

Anyway, as for the TC's question, I'd shrug and move on with it. I was a PC gamer before a console gamer, I'm used to it.

I don't think that the consoles will block used games though.
---
Check out my investigation into 7th generation exclusives here:
http://rustygamer.wordpress.com/
#114tgoldbergPosted 2/6/2013 6:12:16 PM
I voted "buy a Wii U", but would also upgrade my PC and use that too. Actually, I was going to do that even before the no-used-games thing came to light, so whatever.
---
Your favorite game will always be underrated.
Their favorite game will always be overrated.
#115Goten55Posted 2/6/2013 6:24:30 PM
It probably wouldn't bother me. The only used game I ever bought was GTA 4 when I got my PS3 back in 08.

But for some reason if it did I'd go handheld only.
---
Nymph Month!
http://i.imgur.com/x2WToPZ.jpg http://i.imgur.com/SGs8cfQ.jpg http://i.imgur.com/F4ZUlpL.jpg http://i.imgur.com/MApywve.jpg
#116nath999Posted 2/6/2013 6:27:00 PM
I find it funny all the people who say they'd switch to PC because there is no used games on PC.

Consoles are just falling inline with what steam and origin have been doing for years.
---
PSN / GT: Deathstroke XII
SSBB:2578-2790-7862
#117Shin_GallonPosted 2/6/2013 6:39:23 PM
I don't buy used unless it's impossible to find new (like old games) and I do 99% of my gaming on PC now anyway, so it wouldn't affect me at all.
#118Damien94Posted 2/6/2013 6:42:28 PM
I think the point is moot, since it would be suicide for console developers to block used games. That would mean cutting out an entire industry (Rentals) and it would put serious hurt on Gamestop's earning potential.

But I tend to buy all the games I really want new and day 1 anyway, so not really a big deal were it to happen.
---
Contrary to popular belief, opinions can be, and often are, wrong.
#119ExiliousPosted 2/6/2013 6:45:13 PM
There will be so many lawsuits in the end I promise you all this "no used games" thing will not happen.
---
i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz | Gigabyte Windforce 3x GTX 680 OC | 12gb PNY XLR8 DDR3 1600mhz CAS-7 | OCZ Vertex 3 120gb
LeagueCraft ARAM Admin / Blacklist Administrator
#120NairodmaticPosted 2/6/2013 7:00:09 PM

-"Business too Business"

-how retail works

-find a single industry that has been harmed by ebay/garage sales/renting/any second hand market ever

-look up the average price of used games (I'll even tell you: It's $20, not $55. You can look it up)

-used game deals/sales vs new game deals/sales

-how the value of games is decreasing faster than ever. Funny how it coincides with the increased presence of things like DLC, online passes and other anti-used measures (devalue the used game and you're only going to devalue the new one)

I could sit here and pick this apart for hours.

One of the few posters who sounds like he has some sense.

Another guy mentioned they would be cool if supporters only bought new homes, new cars...he also has some sense.

Since Funcoland I've been buying games used. Mom and pop told me I was on my own.

I've got money and I have internet. However (to the topic), it depends on what else Sony and MS does with the block. I don't think games are worth $60 and I think requiring internet to play is unfair. I was thinking about scoopin' the WiiU late in its life anyway, so I guess if this happens it would solidify that future purchase.

Make games no more expensive than $29.99 with no drop in quality or play time and I'd stick around. Otherwise it's Nintendo and what I currently own.
---
Maybe video games should cost less than 20 million and take less than 3 years to make. Because $60 a pop is some b*******!