This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If Sony and Microsoft both block used games next gen what will you do?

#131Javelin_ChimeraPosted 2/6/2013 8:41:05 PM
DanteSInferno84 posted...
pariah23 posted...
gjc2007 posted...
I would have no issue with blocking used game sales--which I believe is worse than piracy

I'm sorry.....but no.

There are opinions, and then there is just plain being wrong.

A pirate was most likely never going to pay for the game at all no matter what.

A used game buyer decided to buy the game but then went ahead and gave full price -$5 to the parasites (Gamestop) instead.

Only in the second case is an actual sale lost to the people who made the game.

The main flaw in your logic is the inherent thought that the physical item after being bought once at full price, still belongs to the people who made the game. As the law sits, once the initial sale has gone through (I.E., has been bought legally at full price once), the physical item is no longer the property of the selling party. The people who made the game, made their sale. This whole move is just a strange knee jerk reaction to down profits and the realization that used games were selling better.

This move will still result in what you view as "a lost sale". You call Gamestop and places like them a parasite, yet you seem to lack an understanding of how a game is sold. Very few companies sell direct to the public. Wal-mart and other places that sell the games new, arent just holding the items and at the end of the day, give the profits to the publishers. No, they themselves purchase the games (at a flat rate) sell for a slight mark up (gotta make their profits too) and in turn, sell to us. So long before the game is even purchased "new", it has already been paid for, and the makers have gotten their money. So, parasite is far from an accurate term, scavenger fitting more as they profit off the scraps of the sale.

Bottom line, if Nintendo has no issue with used sales, no one should. They made the home console market what it is today and are at least the ones with the spine to tell developers "Its how it is, find ways to make a new purchase more tempting, not forcing it on people".

Its like selling a car. You cant turn around and feel butthurt when your realize your initial sale doesn't even add up to the amount made by the car being sold and resold several times after the first time. Its life.

You just totally posted what I've never cared enough to type out myself. Greatest post on GameFAQs.
#132hockeybub89Posted 2/6/2013 8:42:13 PM
It won't happen but I would get along just fine if it somehow did. I pre-order a lot and if I don't get games a t launch, I just wait for a price drop or sale and buy them new then.
---
http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/pid/NIR_Hockey.png
http://www.last.fm/user/hockeybub89/ Bears Beets Battlestar Galactica
#133Neoreloaded313Posted 2/6/2013 8:48:24 PM
I will do nothing, not a big deal too me. Switching to PC does not make since to me, where do you get used PC games?
---
Trolls and ignorant people gets added to my ignore list.
#134lanifPosted 2/6/2013 8:51:21 PM
wii U and retro all the way baby !!! that includes 360 and ps3
---
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben sometimes she hits me first!!!!
#135ItsTheSasquatchPosted 2/6/2013 8:53:59 PM
lostkiwi posted...
I don't understand those who say they would swap to PC - PC blocked used game sales a decade ago.

Correction: they tried to, hence the explosion in piracy rates (and justifiably so). Although most people just go for the completely free form of piracy rather than the "pay your friend for his copy, then crack it so you can use it" form. The business majors running these companies aren't exactly the brightest bunch; any fool off the street could have seen that coming.
---
*disappears into forest*
#136bit8gentPosted 2/6/2013 8:55:59 PM
If the next playstation and xbox block used games, I will only own a Wii U this generation. I still buy and collect games from generation 2 and up, and blocking used games will make me unable to do this for this generation. Imagine when the generation after hits, there will be no way to play all these old games, and the discs will just end up as garbage. Also, I buy a lot of games used because I simply can't afford to spend $100 per game (with the dlc). In this economy a lot of people can't afford the extremely high prices of games. Blocking used games is not the answer. What they should do is lower the prices of games, and stop holding back content for dlc. So I will never buy a console that blocks used games. Unless there was a mod that gave it the ability to play them.
#137BleuSkiddewPosted 2/6/2013 8:56:05 PM
I wouldn't buy the consoles! I own a decent retro game collection and enjoy 'game hunting'. If these systems lock out used video games i'd never be able to obtain all the games i want for the system.

Of course i have a good amount of faith that some hackers will set this whole situation straight.
#138odcrl001Posted 2/6/2013 8:59:24 PM
I hope people don't support their 1984 agenda.
---
GT: GalahadHK
#139crondizzlePosted 2/6/2013 9:01:55 PM
i laugh at all you fanboys who defended DLC and all the dumbing-down of games in the current generation, you are the ones who made this happen. when you bend over and take it in the ass from these companies, they are gonna keep going and push their limits.
#140BokuxPicoPosted 2/6/2013 9:02:36 PM
As long as the WiiU gets good 3rd party support I'll buy it.