This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If Sony and Microsoft both block used games next gen what will you do?

#141GoatJugSoupPosted 2/6/2013 8:06:07 PM
I will buy a ps4 anyway.

If they were actually to do something as stupid as eliminate used game sales here is what I think would happen:

*The amount of money being pumped into the gaming industry would decrease by up to 40%. This wouldn't necessarily be because of people boycotting, I don't see many people actually doing that. It would be because about 40% (at least in 2011, it may be slightly different now) of the money that gets spent on new games comes from people who trade in older games to get newer ones.

*Retail stores would have to be more expensive to make up for the profit lost from used games (or risk going out of business). This in turn would make the average consumer less able to purchase new games.

*From there Sony and MS would either have to rectify the used game block or watch as they lost a lot of money (I doubt MS would go out of business but if that happened Sony might)
---
http://psnprofiles.com/goatjugsoup1278
GW2 Character Name: Ranger Goat of Yogi, Guild: Knights of Chicken
#142Mystery_CooperPosted 2/6/2013 8:06:22 PM
Laugh.
---
"Death's vastness holds no peace. I come at the end of the long road.
Neither human, nor devil.....all bends to my will."
#143Perfect LightPosted 2/6/2013 8:11:00 PM
I will switch to PC gaming. They can't buy used, either, but they get crazy Steam sales. Then again, I highly doubt any of these rumors are true.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#144UmitenchoPosted 2/6/2013 8:33:36 PM
Switch to PC gaming and main a WiiU.
#145Butthead24Posted 2/6/2013 8:35:06 PM
If such a thing ever happened I would go out of my way to pirate them.
---
PSN:Clockwork7/ggot_camper
#146YoungGganonPosted 2/6/2013 8:37:16 PM
I would definitely have a reason to switch to PC gaming. I don't have the money the be paying for full price games all the time. Plus, after a year, how would you even get the game? That just sounds soooooooooooo inconvenient. Most games would have to be downloadable, which when not on a PC is disturbing.
---
(Now playing Dead Island, Vanquish, and PSASBR Beta)
#147ZendaikPosted 2/6/2013 8:41:43 PM
Huh, I didn't expect so many people to vote and have all the answers be rather diverse.

I choose "Only buy new games, but when I can find them cheap" for PS4 and also "Get a Wii-U"
---
Monster Hunter Tri, Kid Icarus: Uprising IDs: Kirolos
#148Zack_Attackv1Posted 2/6/2013 8:45:48 PM
Oh, I don't know. Prolly buy a used ps2 and download games of psn.
---
|L|A|y|l|A|
My anti-drug
#149TutsMyBareePosted 2/6/2013 8:45:54 PM
This was just like the PSP UMD. Backwards compatibility my...
#150Ness0123456789Posted 2/6/2013 8:47:32 PM(edited)
I stopped buying used games this generation several years ago, when I learned that the game developers and publishers get none of the return from the sale of a used games, so this change doesn't bother me in the slightest.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI