This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If Sony and Microsoft both block used games next gen what will you do?

#161AtalalamaPosted 2/6/2013 9:35:34 PM
kcypher2000 posted...
Not like you can play used games on pc anyway. People here just whine too much.

The LAST thing the Console market needs is to emulate the PC market.
#162LsnakePosted 2/6/2013 9:36:01 PM
While I sometimes buy used games, it's only when I can't get them new. I either want a game, or I don't. And if I want it, I'll buy it new. So it's a minor inconvenience, but it would however narrow my horizon a bit since I'll have to be more reserved. I'm not sure this will help the industry in any way. Blocking used games is bad, but I definitely see some form of activation code even for used games coming. That's fine. I understand the point of online passes, but I don't see the point of blocking used games.

The industry at this point shouldn't be so concerned about looking for ways to exclude usergroups, it should look at way to include them. But with online-only requirements and blocking, I'm afraid they're shooting themselves in the foot.
---
-War. War never changes. (Fallout)
-War. War has changed. (MGS4)
#163ElBorak77Posted 2/6/2013 9:37:18 PM
xtacb posted...
i dont buy used games anyway

ever since i found boogers (with a nose hair) in the manual of a used/sold as new game from GAMESTOP

now i only get NEW GAMES from actual retailers that only have NEW copies

amazing hahaha.
---
PSN El_Borak_77
#164Kentaro21Posted 2/6/2013 9:42:09 PM
You really think they'd pull such a bone-headed move? Not if they want to keep their customers.
#165SgtBass8705Posted 2/6/2013 9:44:02 PM
Ness0123456789 posted...
I stopped buying used games this generation several years ago, when I learned that the game developers and publishers get none of the return from the sale of a used games, so this change doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Why do people care so much about the fact that the developers, and publishers don't make anything off a used game? People buy used cars, and the manufacturer gets nothing from the sell. People buy used electronics (HDTVs, MP3 players, and Video game systems) the manufactures get nothing back on those either. When I sell a game I've owned I get part of the money I've invested in the game back to spend else where. It's how money in a free market works. Honestly I care even less than ever now that they have online passes on games, because I constantly get new games where the codes are some how already used, and get ran around in circles when I try to fix it.

On topic if games get locked to systems, I'd bet game rental companies would be offered a special version of the game disc. The games would also most likely be locked to user accounts, and we'd be able to loan them out to friends who have our profile on the console. I'd hate if if they did this but they already locked saves to the console, so I doubt it's far from happening. If they do lock games to systems I'll skip this generation, and hope it's fixed in the next one when they realized how many customers they've lost to bullying the market.
---
PSN: JoshD8705
#166kcypher2000Posted 2/6/2013 9:47:55 PM
SgtBass8705 posted...
Ness0123456789 posted...
I stopped buying used games this generation several years ago, when I learned that the game developers and publishers get none of the return from the sale of a used games, so this change doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Why do people care so much about the fact that the developers, and publishers don't make anything off a used game? People buy used cars, and the manufacturer gets nothing from the sell. People buy used electronics (HDTVs, MP3 players, and Video game systems) the manufactures get nothing back on those either. When I sell a game I've owned I get part of the money I've invested in the game back to spend else where. It's how money in a free market works. Honestly I care even less than ever now that they have online passes on games, because I constantly get new games where the codes are some how already used, and get ran around in circles when I try to fix it.

On topic if games get locked to systems, I'd bet game rental companies would be offered a special version of the game disc. The games would also most likely be locked to user accounts, and we'd be able to loan them out to friends who have our profile on the console. I'd hate if if they did this but they already locked saves to the console, so I doubt it's far from happening. If they do lock games to systems I'll skip this generation, and hope it's fixed in the next one when they realized how many customers they've lost to bullying the market.

Pc market and mobile market dont have used games so cya. No one will miss you and games will still sell. I think this is a great idea by Sony and MS. Support the devs and let them
Make more games.
#167bh7812Posted 2/6/2013 9:54:08 PM(edited)
Quote:i dont buy used games anyway

ever since i found boogers (with a nose hair) in the manual of a used/sold as new game from GAMESTOP

now i only get NEW GAMES from actual retailers that only have NEW copies

@xtacb

Honestly at the very least you should have complained to the store manager if not the district manager! Doesn't matter if it's a game or a DVD set..that's disgusting and unacceptable period. They should have checked for that and either flat out refused it or made the person trading it in clean it on the spot. Guarantee they wouldn't have ever done that again after the public humiliation from that.

As for me, I buy a vast majority of my games brand new anyway so a block on used games wouldn't affect me much personally. The games I buy new I feel are games that deserve the full 60 dollar purchase and support. The closest to a used game I come is when a game drops in price. I'll most likely support Sony right out of the gate this time. Microsoft...will have to show they learned their lesson from the rrod fiasco and they'd have to show me a game I absolutely must buy a new Xbox for. As of right now, none of their rumored games would fall into a must have category for me.

---
Sent from my iPad via PowerGuides 1.10
#168ItsTheSasquatchPosted 2/6/2013 9:51:09 PM
kcypher2000 posted...
Pc market and mobile market dont have used games so cya. No one will miss you and games will still sell. I think this is a great idea by Sony and MS. Support the devs and let them
Make more games.

Holy ****. Tell me I'm not the only one who suspects UUA here.

guineathewop posted...
This topic pretty much proves what everybody already knows: most of the inhabitants of Gamefaqs are morons.

"Doesn't affect me I only by new!" So you never use a game that's been in another console at all? Never borrowed one from a friend even? Haha. What am I saying, like you have friends.

"Used games don't save you any money anyway" Yep, Gamestop is the the only place on the planet where you can get a used game. Never mind Ebay or from actual other human beings you could be in contact with who will sell you a game for 5 bucks cause they don't want it anymore. Hell they might even give it to you

"Good Gamestop is SATAN!" See above.

Could we please stop with the corporate ****riding? It used to just be tiring but now it's becoming very harmful and is completely destroying the industry.

^^^Best post in the topic, by far.
---
*disappears into forest*
#169Dante200XPosted 2/6/2013 9:53:12 PM

Yeah, totally. Freedom to play how and what you want and mod-ability is bad...as are dedicated servers.
---
Solid's snake still shoots liquid, it's just that it's null.
#170kcypher2000Posted 2/6/2013 9:58:17 PM
Dante200X posted...

Yeah, totally. Freedom to play how and what you want and mod-ability is bad...as are dedicated servers.

Like the mobile market has ever had use games and its
Growing the fastest. Truth is these whiners will
Complain but when the next gen hits and they have nothing to play
They will buy the games anyway. Just not used.