This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If Sony and Microsoft both block used games next gen what will you do?

#51DoramiPosted 2/6/2013 3:20:29 PM
They're usually available new from some online retailer with a listing on Amazon, so the change shouldn't be a big deal unless you actually sell games on a frequent basis. I buy used games, but I don't sell my games, nor do I factor the possibility of sale into my purchase, so it's not a big deal.
---
"I dont buy Steam games because when I buy a new PC, I have every game I ever bought already ready to download." - GoreGamer
#52vervainePosted 2/6/2013 3:20:59 PM
Other: keep gaming on my current consoles.

I ditched PC gaming due to the ease and relative lack of restrictions of consoles. (Yeah Steam, they're not perfect and there's third-party DRM anyway.) I fully intend to stay as far away from these practices as possible. And then there will be GOG.

I always go for new, unless it's significantly more expensive than used. But I often discover titles I'd like to play after they go out of print / become rare, so without used I would never be able to play them.
#53Sez6Posted 2/6/2013 3:25:03 PM
Sony and Microsoft won't be affected with this decision. Why? because they get 0% of the used games sales. So, if used games sales decreases to 0, they won't loose any money.

And people like me who always buy new, will keep buying new.
#54LinkinLawg(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 3:26:22 PM
Paulf001 posted...
To the people who say they will boycot Sony and MS and go to PC. You're going to not buy PS4/720 and still go to the same system that already exists on PC?

Steam usually offers good deals on PC games. And most PC games are cheaper new than they are on consoles. This is the one thing that PSN needs to work on. They never have as good as sales as Steam does.
---
PSN: LinkinLawg
Not changing this sig until I feel like it
#55LinkinLawg(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 3:27:23 PM
Sez6 posted...
Sony and Microsoft won't be affected with this decision. Why? because they get 0% of the used games sales. So, if used games sales decreases to 0, they won't loose any money.

But they won't make any money on console sales. Blocking used games will probably be a deal breaker for alot of people.
---
PSN: LinkinLawg
Not changing this sig until I feel like it
#56bluedragon619Posted 2/6/2013 3:27:57 PM
I'll stick with this gen, its bad enough that you have to buy a pass for most mulitplayer sections with most games now, if it gets to the point where i cant even lend a game like hitman off a mate then to hell with these companies, eventually greed will be their undoing
---
Your dead, NOW STAY DEAD
#57ItsTheSasquatchPosted 2/6/2013 3:34:32 PM
I'd boycott both. Actually, I'd just add Microsoft to my boycott list--I'm already boycotting Sony because of OtherOS, the geohot case, and their involvement in the MPAA/RIAA.
---
*disappears into forest*
#58KeeperofthedarkPosted 2/6/2013 3:35:40 PM
LinkinLawg posted...
Sez6 posted...

But they won't make any money on console sales. Blocking used games will probably be a deal breaker for alot of people.

Companies never make money on console sales. Or if they do, it's a rare thing. Nearly all consoles are sold at a lose, with the expectation being that video game sales will make up the difference.

And used games being a deal-breaker seems like a stretch. They are almost never significantly cheaper. I saw in my Gamestop a used copy of Skyrim selling for $55. Not too different from the new price.
#59riddlebox89Posted 2/6/2013 3:35:48 PM
Sez6 posted...

But they're not losing money from used game sales, those copies were already paid for, they're not entitled to anything past the first initial purchase.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#60maizemaizePosted 2/6/2013 3:36:08 PM
I'll just stick to Wii that already have. I am becoming too old to spend too much cash buying new game machines.