This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you enjoy older games like PS2 games more than games this generation?

#31viajarvPosted 2/9/2013 3:16:12 PM
Arkham is an excellent current gen series though. To nitpick about how stiff Batman moves from the 3rd person view is a very small detail that's been laughed at since arkham asylum. People didn't focus on how lame he looked moving aroudn and focused on how great everything else was.
#32MadDewgPosted 2/9/2013 3:18:22 PM
Herrx posted...
Was wondering if you play Xbox360 and PS3 and also PS2 games and if you enjoy some older games on PS2, even though it has a lesser graphic quality, equal or more than this generation of games?

Short and sweet answer: Hell yes. Graphics is not that important to me when it comes to having fun with a game.
---
GTag:MadDogg730 PSN:lMadDogg Playin' bayonetta, fire emblem awakening, one piece pirate warriors, borderlands 2, rogue galaxy, fire emblem radiant dawn, dust:
#33Play_HangmanPosted 2/11/2013 12:12:52 AM
xbox has ninja gaiden black (greatest 3d beat-'em-up ever) and gun valkyrie (greatest tps ever), plus JSRF and Panzer Dragoon

ps2 is one of the greatest consoles ever made, maybe the greatest

there are soooooo many good games, from such a wide array of genres, it even has contra and dodonpachi for christ's sake LOL, it's possible that there are 50+ genuinely great games on the ps2

i mean, i searched the other day and my backlog of PS2 games is HUGE, here's a small taste:

God Hand
Okami
Viewtiful Joe
Gundam: Zeonic Front
Ace Combat 5
Ace Combat Zero
Entire Burnout Series
Entire SSX series
Entire Armored Core Series
Entire Onimusha Series

this generation doesn't come close, i can name a bunch of DECENT or ABOVE AVERAGE games this gen but very few GREAT ones

but yes there are great games in this generation, they just come in lower quantity

so you'll have games like Dark Souls, Gundam Extreme Vs., Operation Darkness, Virtua Fighter 5 and the like, some of the finest games ever made, but you have to search far and wide for amazing games nowadays, most of the good games of this gen are just sort of above average titles like Vanquish, Hard Corps: Uprising, Just Cause 2 or the new XCOM

plus you have a TON of casualization that has affected nearly every genre and all those annoying "indie" games

i think that developers were "overwhelmed" with the sudden leap in tech of this gen so they were "green", i would almost say that this gen was "sacrificed" to build for future gens, i think next gen will provide some tremendous titles in greater quantities
---
"You're not a player until you've gamed a girl with a Wii. Or Kingdom Hearts." - Ray
(>-'.'-)> Kirby rules you.
#34Devilman_AmonPosted 2/11/2013 12:27:01 AM(edited)
I think we reached a peak in PS2 era kinda like how you can take a 1969 plexi Marshall amplifier and overload it with a variac and come out with some awesome sounds infinitely better than trying to tweak out a workable sound from a solid state guitar rack unit which can't even cut through a live performance despite it's expensive setup.

This gen many developers relied on the higher resolution and textures and online to wow gamers in addition to creating Hollywood style cinematic set pieces but in the end many of it was flash and bang with little substance and in fact, a lot of genres took a hit in quality because the developers couldn't match the gameplay (townz are hard) and scope with the graphics as well as stories taking a hit and a bit of uncanny valley here and there with some really bland color palettes with shiny vinyl like textures...

Meanwhile other developers simply said "**** this" and opted out of even making HD games and went directly to the handheld titles which could still match the budget and development scope of the PS2 era, thus taking the safer less risk albeit less reward option...

Finally, because of this shift to expensive developed HD games, publishers started crying about used games and thus flocked to trying to make ends meet with day one DLC abuse, disc locked content, pay to win DLC, buying endings, day one patches, DRM, and the ever growing push for digital distribution..and when all fails....reboot it...

We need better A.I. better writers, and more expansive use of the hardware to make believable and creative worlds (not just copy paste) and more developers willing to take risks and get some confident financial backers and some decent return to marketing...
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#35ADHDguitarPosted 2/11/2013 12:26:33 AM
To be honest, not really. Xbox 360 has better games than the Xbox, Wii has better (Nintendo) games than Game Cube. PS3 is arguably as good as PS2 when it comes to games.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#36Devilman_AmonPosted 2/11/2013 12:29:45 AM
ADHDguitar posted...
To be honest, not really. Xbox 360 has better games than the Xbox, Wii has better (Nintendo) games than Game Cube. PS3 is arguably as good as PS2 when it comes to games.

XBox and Gamecube were notably weak consoles for their era. When 360 came out , Xbox was all but dead you couldn't even find used games one to two years later. This is common knowledge. PS2 is still on the whole a greater console than the PS3...
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#37JoveHackPosted 2/11/2013 6:57:10 AM
Devilman_Amon posted...
...really bland color palettes with shiny vinyl like textures...

They're abusing "specular highlights", which makes things look shiny, wet, or metallic. It's everywhere.

They doing it to cover up the bland color palettes and mediocre textures, which make everything blend together visually. So they have to use things like highlighting, halo/aura highlights, specular highlights, or cel-shading. Just because they can no longer do decent art design.

All that extra highlighting is on every last item/person/wall/whatever. By trying to make everything stand out, the result is a mass of confused highlights.

Compare all that to Beyond Good and Evil, where everything's clear without extra highlights.

Better yet, there's a whole real world out there that developers can look at for examples of lighting and textures that look good and are clear and easy to see visually.

Look at any of Adam Sessler's current videos. He's just standing/sitting in an open office, with all the equipment around. It looks great. No highlighting.

Finally, because of this shift to expensive developed HD games, publishers started crying about used games and thus flocked to trying to make ends meet with day one DLC abuse, disc locked content, pay to win DLC, buying endings, day one patches, DRM, and the ever growing push for digital distribution..and when all fails....reboot it...

^^ This. As someone said earlier, the shift to DRM is what pushed me to console gaming from the PC.

And look at how phone and handheld gaming has taken off, without HD. "You can have gameplay, or you can have HD, but not both." For that matter, look at all the HD upgrades of previous gen games.

Decent platformers are tough to come by, because it takes good level design to make a good platformer. And they don't seem to want to do the engine that lets a player jump anywhere, because that means making levels where that's meaningful everywhere.

Instead it's all special case actions to let a player jump or climb, if at all.

---
Jove the Sleep Depraved
http://primal.wikia.com
#38IamthekuzalolPosted 2/11/2013 7:10:19 AM
When it comes to Western games, i prefer this gen more. When it comes to Japanese games, i think i will give PS2 the slight edge. (RE4, MGS3, JRPG in general, DMC3, etc were all better than their counterparts this gen.)