This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should game companies hire PROFESSIONAL writers to write their stories?

• Topic Archived
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Should game companies hire PROFESSIONAL writers to write their stories?
3 years ago#11
Hiring a professional to write a story doesn't automatically ensure the story will be good. Look at Kingdoms of Amalur, they hired that Salvatore guy to write the story and lore for their game, and it ended up being incredibly boring and forgettable.
3 years ago#12
People who write games ARE professional writers. Fact you seem to have missed: most writers suck, in all mediums. Games seem worse because the tools to tell the story (voice acting, animation, etc) can or were in the past at least unable to convey it well, plus budgets and priorities from management put delivering the story well at the bottom of the list. There's no box to check on the package for well implemented/presented story.
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
3 years ago#13
Ziggletooth posted...
mistermikeymike posted...
As an avid jrpg fan sometimes playing a game really bothers me when I read the poor writing. And I don't mean son of a submariner poor (partly because it's hilariously awesome). I mean in regards to plot and writing techniques.

I just finished Persona 4 and I was pretty pissed off when I found out the killer was Adachi. You know why? Because there were no hints that it was him. It felt like he was literally picked at random when 95% of the game was done and anointed the killer. His motive? Because he could. Now tell me, how does a murder mystery have no hints pointing to the perp? (the only thing that people consider evidence is that he always "accidentally" talks too much about the case. except as a police detective he just looks stupid for giving things away).

Or take Final Fantasy 8. Several infamous cases of Deus Ex Machina. Deus Ex Machina is when some miraculous event saves the hero from certain doom. And by miraculous I mean something that isn't hinted at or mentioned at all. Sort of like the ragnarok appearing just out of the blue and suddenly saving Squall and Rinoa.

It's not even just bad storytelling. Some of the characters just frankly are very poorly designed. Like Vaan? Yeah noone likes Vaan cause he's a midget with a stupid haircut.

And it's not just the characters either. There are way too many cliches like the whole end of the world type thing that occurs in every video game since mario. Like in FF7 couldn't cloud have just killed sephiroth because he wanted revenge? does it necessarily have to be a righteous kill so he looks like the good guy? couldn't cloud just kill sephiroth and smile because he just killed the man who took everything from him? Why does he have to be the cliche good guy? Why couldn't Cloud smile as blood dripped form his sword

lol it seems you misunderstood one of the most important parts of the ff7 story. The transition of cloud becoming more human. This is central to the story. Basically you are saying why don't they remove a whole dimention of the story because you like simplicity.

well, because thats not the story. it's like complaining that mario sucks because its about a plumber when it could just be about a jobless person

I dont think you are saying anything meaningful

honestly i think you should learn reading comprehension. the point of that was to say that not everything needs to result in the end of the world.
---
So Damn Foxy.
3 years ago#14
nekrothing posted...
Hiring a professional to write a story doesn't automatically ensure the story will be good. Look at Kingdoms of Amalur, they hired that Salvatore guy to write the story and lore for their game, and it ended up being incredibly boring and forgettable.

Yet it was far, far better than the lore and story behind 13 and 13-2.
---
Motomu Toriyama is the worst writer in the history of video games, if you agree add this quote.
3 years ago#15
Ajescent posted...
With regards to your P4 example, I say "what's wrong with the 'because I could' motive?" it's very underated imo. Not all killers need some long winded motivation or some lazy arsed back story.

well nothings wrong with it. but when it comes off as more halfassed and making an excuse for why the murders were random then im pretty sure you failed.

anyways seeing as the game is essentially a murder mystery you would think they add clues and a motive to the primary antagonist.
---
So Damn Foxy.
3 years ago#16
nekrothing posted...

the reason i couldnt get into kingdoms of amalur was because the game looked really cartoonish and from what i heard it was full of fetch quests
---
So Damn Foxy.
3 years ago#17
A lot of games have hired authors and comic writers in the past and it's worked sometimes and failed others. It's really just a matter of who they're getting and what that person is working with.
3 years ago#18
spectermaster14 posted...
A lot of games have hired authors and comic writers in the past and it's worked sometimes and failed others. It's really just a matter of who they're getting and what that person is working with.

This is very true as well. Even the best writers don't always hit it out of the park.
---
PSN ID: Shawnji
Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Shawnji
3 years ago#19
Seifer_us posted...

This is very true as well. Even the best writers don't always hit it out of the park.

The problem is that different mediums require different approaches. You shouldn't hire a movie director to write a book, just like you shouldn't hire an author to direct a movie. You need people that are familiar with the genre, otherwise the story could end up falling flat, even if the person writing it is a professional.
3 years ago#20
nekrothing posted...
Seifer_us posted...

The problem is that different mediums require different approaches. You shouldn't hire a movie director to write a book, just like you shouldn't hire an author to direct a movie. You need people that are familiar with the genre, otherwise the story could end up falling flat, even if the person writing it is a professional.

I'd say movies and video games are similar in some ways and a screenwriter that has worked on movies would be much more fit to do the job than a novelist, I think, though a novelist can very much work, as well. It all depends on how well a writer can switch and adapt from medium to medium.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Should game companies hire PROFESSIONAL writers to write their stories?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived