This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it worth buying games with little replay value?

#1Retroxgamer0Posted 2/6/2013 5:35:39 PM(edited)
Someone brought up a good point--games can be relatively subpar (think ps battle royale or dynasty warriors) and give you more bang for your buck in replayability, than can supremely epic games with nearly zero replay value (think heavy rain, or uncharted 3)

course, lesser popular games also tend to have a lower price tag.

my question for you today is, when we say some games are the best ever (uncharted 2, metal gear solid 4) and they dont have the most replay value ever, should they be considered of a purchase before games you know may not be as good but you may play out and get your full buck bang with? (super street fighter iv)

i like to ONLY buy single player games thatre in the top tier category like mgs4, or uncharted, or have replayability if single player, like the action games DmC or Metal Gear Rising coming up, or online multiplayer like ps battle, i think it warrants its cash simply in replayability.

i feel like single player games with a less than top experience without the replayability are a waste of my time and money. so for developers to succeed i think its important that they either give a multiplayer online game with tons of replay value and it doesnt have to be quite as good, or a damnnear flawless single player.
#2Retroxgamer0(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 5:37:10 PM
when a game has the epic single player experience, but still manages to have tons of replay value without needing an online mode, thats when i deem it one of the best. for some reason i cant see a multiplayer online game in the same light--seems like the easy way out lol.
#3king_zettaPosted 2/6/2013 5:37:49 PM
Who replays games. 99% of the time I play a game once and then move on to he next.
#4este914Posted 2/6/2013 5:39:48 PM
It is whatever you feel is worth for it. If you're scared a game will have low replay value, why not just wait until its cheap to buy? (or as low as whatever price it is that you wana pay.)
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#5namethatno1usesPosted 2/6/2013 5:41:33 PM(edited)
I play a game until I get everything it offers (unlocks, collectables, multiple endings), then never play it again.

I hate watching the same movie twice too. First time's the charm, then it loses a lot of its "magic".

EDIT: Boy am I stupid. I forgot to answer your question: Yes.
---
Every time a masterpiece like Nier comes along, we get 100 boring shooters. Life's unfair. - simonstrane
#6zyrax2301Posted 2/6/2013 6:14:20 PM
namethatno1uses posted...
I play a game until I get everything it offers (unlocks, collectables, multiple endings), then never play it again.

I hate watching the same movie twice too. First time's the charm, then it loses a lot of its "magic".

EDIT: Boy am I stupid. I forgot to answer your question: Yes.

A lot of movies are much better when you watch them again with a new perspective.
---
Why? Because **** you is why.
#7You_Need_A_LifePosted 2/6/2013 6:15:26 PM
If it's only good for one play through, I say just borrow it or buy it cheap.
#8nihilist212Posted 2/6/2013 6:15:41 PM
king_zetta posted...
Who replays games. 99% of the time I play a game once and then move on to he next.

Same for me. Most games in my life I've only ever played through once.
---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero
#9XenotropixavierPosted 2/6/2013 6:31:02 PM
Uncharted 2 and Mgs4 both have tons of replay value. Whatchu smokin tc?
#10CrimsonCorpPosted 2/6/2013 6:32:36 PM(edited)
I still play Final Fantasy 6, MGS, KOTOR, Starcraft 1, Fallout 1 and 2... and so on. And i'm damn proud of my gaming library. KOTOR in particular is still damn fun on my fifth playthrough last year.

To anser your question TC, I think I have changed. Where before i would buy 6-8 hour single player experiences for $60 bucks, now I cringe at the thought (There are exceptions, such as the Last of Us, but they are rare) That's why i'm almost an exclusive RPG gamer now. They really give you bang for your buck.

And I also like Sandbox style Multipayer games like GTA. IV No FPSs, not anymore.

I know PS owners got burned by Bethesda tons of times, but their incredible worlds are the reason why I love their games something special. From Morrowind to Skyrim, each i've spent a minimum of 400-600 hours. They are amazing games.
---
"In the Grim Darkness of the far future... there is only awesome"