This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Chances of ps4 being bc?

#1ntsoulsPosted 2/6/2013 5:53:45 PM
What would you say the odds of it being bc with ps1,2 and 3 are?
#2killakPosted 2/6/2013 5:55:34 PM
1 - 100%
2 - 0%
3 - less than zero.
---
Greer Logic: "I don't want a game that's always the same. I want a game that never changes"
#3ThamauturgePosted 2/6/2013 5:55:34 PM
50/50

People who keep saying "It will play digital, but not your disc PS3 games" are wrong

PS3 discs and digital downloads run off of the same hardware. If they let you play digital and not disc, they would literally be putting in effort to block a feature. Plus every PS system has launched with backwards compatibility in the past.

Can still see them offing it though.
---
Vayne Solidor of the DD012FF Board
Currently playing: Persona 4: Golden, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
#4SophisticationPosted 2/6/2013 5:57:01 PM
In some capacity, yes, it will be... I do not think that "ALL" of our PSN content will be made available on the Ps4 day and date of purchase, though. I believe it'll be rolled out over time like the Vita and PSP-GO did... And we'll probably never have the entire libraries we bought available to us.
---
It takes a true sophistocrat, like myself, to bring about total change to gamefaqs--you all love my judicious topics & the debate I bring.
PSN:sophistocrat
#5ntsouls(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 6:01:53 PM
Because I have this ps3 60 gb. And I hate it. You just can't play it without that fear of it catching on fire with yellow rings and "F YOU USER PAY TO FIX ME".
You know?
I want to sell this stupid thing. But at the same time. It's so ultimate.
#6ThamauturgePosted 2/6/2013 6:03:55 PM
Because I have this ps3 60 gb. And I hate it. You just can't play it without that fear of it catching on fire with yellow rings and "F YOU USER PAY TO FIX ME".
You know?
I want to sell this stupid thing. But at the same time. It's so ultimate.

I agree. Its such a shame that the definitive PS3 was not built to last.
---
Vayne Solidor of the DD012FF Board
Currently playing: Persona 4: Golden, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
#7BokuxPicoPosted 2/6/2013 6:04:05 PM
5%. Sony is already struggling with costs this gen that's why they don't have bc. You really think they're gonna include it next gen when it will be even more expensive?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14
#8Hucast9Posted 2/6/2013 6:09:18 PM
It might be able to do PS1 and PS2 games, but I doubt it'll do PS3 games. Why would anyone want to play a 480i 4:3 game on a hdtv anyways? You're better off getting an sdtv and the PS1 and PS2.

They could easily release an attachment that will physically connect itself to the console (similar to the Gamecube Advance Player for Gamecube) that will allow you play play PS1, PS2, and PS3 games. Something like that could probably cost $100-$150 more or less.

On the other hand, their hd rerelases which convert 4:3 480i games to 16:9 high definition games are popular, so they may not do the attachment at all in order to resell old games as they done this gen e.g. Ico/Shadow of the Colossus collection.

I'd say it's a 50/50 chance whether they will do an attachment. Really it's anyone's guess at this point.
#9nekrothingPosted 2/6/2013 6:14:50 PM
killak posted...
1 - 100%
2 - 0%
3 - less than zero.

I agree with 1 and 3, but not 2. It'll definitely be backwards compatible with PS2 games, since they've discontinued production for the PS2. The PS2 was still selling really well when the PS3 came out, that's part of the reason why they removed PS2 BC on the PS3 (aside from increased production costs).
#10StriderNemesisPosted 2/6/2013 6:25:06 PM(edited)
PS1 - 100% (Software emulation)
PS2 - 100% (Software emulation)
PS3 - ZERO (Needs Cell, which would increase cost)

It probably would be easier for Sony to emulate the XBOX 360 than their own PS3 (the new Saturn in terms of emulation) via software. That's how unlikely it is.

Maybe a higher-priced SKU will do PS3 emulation (via hardware), but I really doubt that the rumored $400 one will.