This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Has anyone heard or played Rune Factory-Tides of Destiny or the Atelier series?

#19ersStonerPosted 2/6/2013 10:11:29 PM(edited)
I am still playing Ni No Kuni and its the first JRPG i have played on PS3. I did borrow and play Nier for a bit, but had to return it to my friend.

I used to play JRPG on PS2 etc but just stop playing them once I got a PS3. Ni No Kuni has brought back a lot of memories on why i used to love these games. I wanted to see what else was out there, and saw this on Amazon. I never heard of it before but it sounds like its a mix of harvest moon with normal RPG elements thrown in there. There are lots of JRPG out there for PS3 that i never heard about. They all seem to be hard to get and seem to printed in low amounts, so if you dont get it early your screwed. There is no Gamestop or BestBuy etc anywhere in my area that has games like Rune Factory or any of Altelier games, amazon is my only choice.

So my point was to ask who has played Rune Factory? and while i am on the subject how about any of the Altelier games. I know very little about either one, expect for that it seems that the Altelier games seem to take awhile to learn.

Here is the link to Rune Factory
http://www.amazon.com/Rune-Factory-Tides-Destiny-Playstation-3/dp/B0058VI2LA/ref=sr_1_12?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1360064854&sr=1-12&keywords=Atelier
#2TheCyborgNinjaPosted 2/6/2013 10:12:43 PM
Rune Factory is basically Harvest Moon mixed with a traditional JRPG. I like it, but it's not for everybody. The Atelier games revolve around doing quests to find things for crafting alchemy recipes. Neither is as good as Ni no Kuni, but they are still really fun if you are into the genre.
---
Jack Thompson is so disbarred, he's not even allowed to practice the law of gravity. - Kotomo
#3vind3dPosted 2/6/2013 10:29:31 PM
I blew through Atelier Rorona. That was pretty fun. Then there is Lost Odyssey, but only available on the 360.
---
My favorite app is still the Mute button on my TV's remote.
#4weemadarthurPosted 2/6/2013 10:32:24 PM
I have rune factory, and 2 atelier games.

RF has an action battle system, which has some interesting looking combos and is fun. It is quite easy though. It would benefit from a book to tell you about what you've crafted / monsters you've caught instead of just telling you the % completed. You can read my review if you like. The main character can be a real jerk.

Atelier rorona is lighthearted and focused on crafting. There are a number of people to meet, and friendship quests to complete to learn their stories. The battle is turn based. I found it extremely difficult to have multiple goals in a single playthrough, and ended up not completing any friendship arcs or battle strength / beating bosses goals. But it's only about 20 hours so I suppose I'll pop back in and try for some more endings.

Totori is supposed to have deeper crafting, but I've barely started on it. The main character is not a very strong person and I have no sympathy with her.

Mereru is starting to get expensive.
---
"You're right. And when you're right, you're right. And you, you're always right!"
#59ersStoner(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 10:35:15 PM
All of these games seem to cost a lot quickly. Some of the Atelier games are already going for $80 since they release so few copies
#6PHEEliNUXPosted 2/6/2013 10:36:40 PM
I heard of both of them, But didn't play either
---
PSN:PHEEliNUX
#7echa_OnePosted 2/6/2013 11:18:06 PM
I have all 4 and played them all.

Tides of Destiny is pretty boring. It's the same chores everyday. You talk to everyone in town to raise their affinity, pet your pet monsters, tend your fields (sow seedlings, water plants, harvest) and do everyday stuffs.

Crafting is incredibly boring as you can only craft one by one. The crazy part is you need to craft a lot for better equipment. It's no fun staring at the screen pressing the x button to craft 100+ wool scarfs. Atelier series have the best crafting system ever.

Music is weak in ToD, too. Most dungeons have the same music, while other musics are not exactly great. The opening song is nice, though.

Get Atelier. It's much better than ToD overall. Atelier Rorona may have some technical issues so you may want to start with Totori instead. Rorona is still a fun one and it's the first of the ps3 Atelier trilogy.
---
There is a board for RPG, you know:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/220-rpgs-everything-else
#8nintendogamer13Posted 2/6/2013 11:53:25 PM
Atelier is just a bunch of item fetching and crafting so if your into that....go ahead.
---
Now playing: FFVII, Persona 3FES, Torchlight 2, witcher 2
#9Hyperion_DarkPosted 2/6/2013 11:57:47 PM
Tides of Destiny was a lot of fun I liked it.
---
PSN: Jorge_JavierX
()zzzzzzzzzz[]XX::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::> <::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::XX[]zzzzzzzzzz()