This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Final Fantasy Sale

#1PostMortemPoetPosted 2/7/2013 2:23:40 AM
So I have very limited experience with the Final Fantasy games (Played a bit of X years ago, but never progressed very far) noticing the sale, I'd like to try them, which would be must plays?
---
PSN - PostMortemPoet
#2Guerrilla SoldierPosted 2/7/2013 2:25:39 AM
---
CainExodus - Oakland A's fan: 2012 AL West Champions
Keep the A's in Oakland!
#3shadowcat2164Posted 2/7/2013 2:32:36 AM
I love them all altho I would recommend 8 7 6 5 9 in that order for someone new to the series
#4nonexistingheroPosted 2/7/2013 2:33:42 AM
6, 7, 9

I guess some would say 8. It's not bad, but not that great either, IMO. Horrible story & characters and a battle system you can break fairly easily.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#5nekrothingPosted 2/7/2013 2:50:52 AM
6, 7 and 9 are the only ones worth getting.

nonexistinghero posted...
Horrible story & characters and a battle system you can break fairly easily.

^this

Everything about 8 is horrible, including the combat system which can be exploited to make the game ridiculously easy. The main villain is horribly underdeveloped, literally no backstory or motivation whatsoever. It's just a bad game, don't bother with it.

5 is decent enough gameplay-wise, but there's no real story to it. It's pretty forgettable, don't bother with this one either.
#6stargazer1981Posted 2/7/2013 3:00:43 AM
4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12... for whenever you decide to get to them all.
---
I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi
#7Spiroth_KweehhPosted 2/7/2013 3:02:27 AM
The original.
Then II.
Then III.

And so on.
---
Official Wild Chocobo of the Dissidia 012 [Duodecim]: Final Fantasy Board
Official Wild Chocobo of the Final Fantasy world
#8lobster22221Posted 2/7/2013 3:13:37 AM(edited)
1-3 are playable if you want something really old school. they are primitive compared to modern games. They are still kind of fun imo.

4 and 6 are better than 1-3(not sure about 5). 6 is honestly better than 4.
7 is influential, but the graphics make it feel dated, and the battle systems uniqueness no longer feels as unique. Its worth a play -through, but future entries are better.
I can't judge 8. I've heard mostly negative things
9 is great. Personally my favorite, so I might be biased. I suggest this one, as long as you don't mind oddly animalistic characters, which is kind of weird. Still, the artstyle is really nice, the battle system works well.
10: Some good stuff in here. Voice acting is a bit annoying imo, but I am really picky so maybe not. The Gameplay is kind of oldschool, but in a good way. The level up system is alright, people seem to like it. Keep in mind the game is more linear than previous entries in where you can go (I think it opens up at the end, but I never beat it)
11 is an mmo I have never played.
12: I like the game play in this one. The story is different from the others, and the map is very open. Gameplay is differen from previous entries.
13: Skip it. Even more linear than 10. The battle system had potential imo, but failed to deliver. The story is convoluted. If your curious watch a lets play or review.

There are some good side games.
I recomend the final fantasy Tactics series. The first one has a great story, and great gameplay. The two sequels are unrelated and have terrible stories. In addition they are pretty easy, while the original was one of the harder tactical rpgs out there. However, there is LOT more game play and are still really fun.

The other final fantasy game I'd recomend is one nobody talks about: Final Fantasy crystal chronicles. If you have friends and want to buy the supplies to play it(Gamecube and gameboys + link cables, you can get a fun hack and slash adventure,

Edit: Just realized right as I posted that this was the ps3 board. I'm keeping it up because It still might be helpful
#9Dial_A_JokePosted 2/7/2013 3:27:13 AM
I would go with 7,6 then 9.

I also really like 5 but it's not best as an introduction to the series.
---
How's that for a slice of fried gold?
PSN: GoodNewsOke
#10StickyJumperPosted 2/7/2013 3:48:04 AM
I would recommend 6 and 9 as the most straightforward (in terms of battle/character-wise) and classical

FF8 is quite complicated in terms of that aspect, and many people have criticised other things too. I found the game fun though

FF7 is also probbaly not the best FF to start if you aren't a FF veteran

FF5 requires probably the most knowledge of FF classes/archetypes/party combinations to really get the most out of it, but it's a really good one

PLAY THEM ALL you won't regret it. and at $5 each they're a really good investment