This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How much better would someone be at a game if they played hardmode at the start

#1Excuse_MePosted 2/7/2013 7:19:27 AM
Assume that a hard mode/very hard mode is unlocked at the start of a game, or they acquire a 100% save. How much better or worse of a player would someone be if

1. They played a game at hard mode or at the hardest level on their first playthrough

compared to

2.An individual who starts off on normal? /Where the enemies are easy at first, or basic in difficulty.

I have action games in mind, but you may take into account other genres as well.
#2JerichoDarkstarPosted 2/7/2013 7:22:54 AM
I honestly have seen no difference because I have done both. Most of the time, I will play on the hardest difficulty first. In one sense, it's like weighted training gear, and when I reach hard levels/ bosses, they aren't as tough. Likewise, if I go back and play on an easier difficulty, I'm a gawd.

On the other hand, working your way up builds experience and mastery of the game playing on an increasingly difficult scale that cannot be obtained by simply playing on the hardest difficulty first.

Both have their ups and downs, but they are about equal.
---
I'll make a big enough ruckus for everyone.
PSN: DarkSilverCloud
#3killakPosted 2/7/2013 7:25:04 AM
They wouldn't be.

They'd just be restarting at checkpoints, more times than not.

When you have to do levels over and over, like we used to, that's when you get skilled at a game.
---
..you're supposed to put spoilers when you talk about the color of the sky. some people haven't seen it yet. - llaW_Enots
#4Shy420Posted 2/7/2013 7:34:23 AM
I think it depends on the game they were playing. For instance if you started out playing FIFA on the hardest difficulty level and then switched to easy after completing a winning season I would have believe that you would absolutely trounce the opposition. I don't think you would improve all that much with games like CoD, Halo or most FPS because online is a very different animal.

Other games like racing game I think you may play worse. Games like Forza and GT switch up the gameplay for the easy mode. Forza Horizon, the only one I've played, becomes more arcadey when it's set to easy.
---
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.
#5RustleSmith2Posted 2/7/2013 8:50:28 AM(edited)
depends on the person really.
---
crap man is here, care to backup your argument of why the databook is correct with more than just poop comments crapsmith-Anema1
#6Dieselzone32450Posted 2/7/2013 11:47:07 AM
for me, playing on hard mode forces me to get a lot better at the game after getting my ass kicked for so many times.

unlike normal where i can mostly get away with stupid tactics.
---
nothing
#7ShineboxerPosted 2/7/2013 11:48:23 AM
i only play campaign once so I play on highest difficulty anyway.
---
Intel Core i5-3570K | ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE |ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti | G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda x2 | 256GB Crucial M4 SSD
#8Ryphis_DemeanorPosted 2/7/2013 12:34:31 PM
Demon's Souls and Dark Souls proved that you would be much better at the game if you played hard mode first.
#9Excuse_Me(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 8:56:25 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10doraemonllh1989Posted 2/7/2013 9:00:54 PM
I just hope every game would unlock hardest difficulty at the start

seriously i dont understand this concept

why the hell you wanna force me to play at lower difficulty?the hell?this makes no sense
---
my grammar sucks and i dont care
disappointing game of the year = re6 (6.5/10)