This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

MS now enters the "dreaded third console curse....

#31jammiesPosted 2/7/2013 3:01:42 PM
Stanger5150 posted...
The Genesis was the third Sega console.

Yeah, TC missed the SG-1000 and also seems to have skipped the Sega CD and 32X for some reason in his hurry to get to the Saturn. Funny too, since the Saturn was more successful than probably all 3 of those.
---
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Groucho Marx
#32kingrat2314Posted 2/7/2013 4:24:38 PM
If Microsoft's third console curse is anything like Sony's, they'll be just fine.
---
I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of ass. I'm out of gum too. I guess I'll just sit here.
#33glory of power metalPosted 2/7/2013 4:26:58 PM
Oh god I sure hope the new Xbox doesn't end up like the tragically ill fated N64.
---
i7-950 3.4GHz | GeForce GTX 285 | 16 GB DDR3 | NEC 2490WUXi 1920x1200
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher
#34ExtremeLightPosted 2/7/2013 4:28:49 PM
private400 posted...
for those who do not know of it:

the third console curse is a strange phenomenon that has hit every console

The curse is that every company that makes game console's and gets to their third generation ,that generation seems fated to faillure.

these where the last console' makers who fell to the curse:

Nintendo released the NES, worked hard to make it something consumers wanted. They released SNES, did the same. Then their 3rd iteration they waited too long, rejected discs, and alienated 3rd parties. The N64 gave up a ton of market share to Sony's PS1 as a result.

Sega released the Master System as a distant also ran to the NES, worked hard and built the Genesis into a legitimate contender, but started to frankenstein it a little at the end. Then come their 3rd iteration they put out the convoluted ass Saturn. The solid Dreamcast wasn't enough to right the ship at that point.

Sony gave everyone what they wanted with the PS1. Then they put out a highly competitive, well marketed, well hyped system with the PS2 that everyone jumped on board with. They, like their predecessors, got out over their skis come iteration number 3 and tried to Trojan Horse blu-ray on everyone, with serious market share retraction as their reward.

MS is going into generation three, what is historically the f*** up generation.

will they beat the curse or will they fall victim to it ?

watch next week
same hour
same channel.

Oh yea, the "Third Console Curse..."
Guys, While it may far better then PS3, Xbox 720 is fated for failure.
---
Versus XIII is coming in 2014, GTA5 will be awesome, and PS4/Xbox 720 is coming in Dec. Lightning Return will be super awesome and I don't care what you think!
#35PhoenixRushPosted 2/7/2013 4:31:08 PM
glory of power metal posted...
Oh god I sure hope the new Xbox doesn't end up like the tragically ill fated N64.

At least it would have a respectable game library if it did.
---
Oh boy, we're going to the sperm bank!- Sophia Petrillo
#36ReloadedPosted 2/7/2013 5:09:35 PM
I wouldn't say PS3 was a complete failure, I'd compare it to Michael Jackson albums. PS2 was the Thriller of Sony gaming consoles, PS3 is the Bad. It didn't sell as well as the predecessor, or have as many hits, but it still sold incredibly well and had some great hits of its own.
---
"When you play the Game of Thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."
#37params7Posted 2/7/2013 5:14:59 PM
Looks like MS will fall victim. Nextbox supposedly is anti-used games, less powerful than ps4 and focuses on Kinect rather than traditional gaming.
---
http://bf3stats.com/stats_ps3/params7
http://i35.tinypic.com/2qd27na.png
#38UniversquallPosted 2/7/2013 5:15:39 PM
Their first two were cursed. Three strikes?
---
After the Fallout
#39Ghetto_ninjaPosted 2/7/2013 5:25:25 PM
"I wouldn't say PS3 was a complete failure, I'd compare it to Michael Jackson albums. PS2 was the Thriller of Sony gaming consoles, PS3 is the Bad. It didn't sell as well as the predecessor, or have as many hits, but it still sold incredibly well and had some great hits of its own" Well put.
---
PSN ID: Psychonik
JUSTICE FOR TRAYVON!
#40Zax77Posted 2/7/2013 5:28:14 PM
Say Microsoft does make it to where you can't play used games, what would this to do gamestop or other companies like them? This is a serious question because I would assume gamestop is a pretty huge company. Would Microsoft or Sony IF that happened just sell code keys on PSN/Live for you to play it or would gamestop just sell nothing but new for those systems, or eventually go under?

I ask because I really haven't seen that question asked.

In addition, in the PS2 area I rarely bought used games from gamestop for the fact of most of the time the boxes were destroyed and most of the time the disc was scratched. I do have some used games but only after inspecting the disc like a Nazi and only if I couldn't find it new. Most of those games armored core because finding those new was tough. Now this is just my experience because I did try to buy used sometimes but like I said above most discs were bad.
---
Got bored and built my game collection, check it out bra's because I have nothing clever for a Sig