This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Target is recording and tracking my M-rated game purchases!?

#1MarblesbunbunPosted 2/7/2013 10:47:17 AM(edited)
So, I was out today looking for Fire Emblem Awakening because I heard it was the killer game for the 3DS and is sold out everywhere.
While looking, I found a game I have been meaning to pick up. The game was slightly over priced for being 2 yrs old and out of print but I decided to grab it anyways.

As I was checking out they said they needed to see my ID because it was M-rated.
I am used to this, so I showed them my ID and started putting it back in my pocket when they said they needed to "SEE" it as in actually take possession of ID.
So, wondering why I gave them it. I watched as the clerk scanned my ID barcode through the cash-register and my name and information as well as the game I was purchasing popped up on her screen.

It then occurred to me that they were not only recording my M-rated purchase, but tracking my M-rated purchases as well.
I asked her what this was for, why he had to do it. She gave me the line "Well you see this is an M-rated game."
I stopped her, "I'm 32, I was in the industry. I know for a fact that M-rated game sales to minors is not a law yet, and besides that matter I am obviously an adult. Why do you need more then just to verify that I am of age to purchase this material?"

She looked at me, dumbfounded and said "I'm just doing what my register prompt tells me to do"

So yea, apparently Target is recording and tracking your M-rated game purchases. I really am not fond of this practice, because in my mind it leads to other things and ways for politicians to further blame violent or sexual video games for the delinquency of the populace at large instead of their own mistakes or other factors in the person's life. I am half tempted to return my purchase and boycott the chain over this.

The question is, do they do the SAME type of recording, or even license checking for R-rated movies?
What about for cigarettes and alcohol? What about them?

This all happened at a Target in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
---
EDIT

In a private message from a Target worker,
"the register is Creating an "Algorhythm." for you, I.E. Creating a Sub Account for you, in the event that you return, and purchase M-Rated Games, or anything that requires an ID Check, so it keeps track of WHAT your purchasing so it can print out personal coupons for you, for future items."

Which makes a lot of sense, considering that many "Reward" programs work under the same logic as well.

Also does the idea they do it for legitimacy of the person's ID, to make sure it is an official state issued License as well.

I am just not used to seeing all my information popup onscreen like that however.
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#2este914Posted 2/7/2013 10:29:29 AM
I would have said "no thanks" and not bought the game there.
---
--> [ este914 ] <--
The One & Only !
#3_tanjil_Posted 2/7/2013 10:30:49 AM
wow that's messed up. did you complain to a manager by any chance, because like you said it's not a law yet, so forcing your information from you seems criminal to me
#4Marblesbunbun(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 10:31:27 AM
este914 posted...
I would have said "no thanks" and not bought the game there.

I've been looking everywhere for the game, it's usually much higher new.
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#5jrr18Posted 2/7/2013 10:33:17 AM
Thank god for Canada America's smarter more awesome half-brother we use other thing besides free speech for a scapegoat like the USA and government.
---
Victory over death itself through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#6true_gamer80Posted 2/7/2013 10:35:05 AM
pretty sure they were making sure your ID was legal and valid, same thing happens here at liqur stores or anything where you need to present ID, getting smokes etc.

I really dont think target is tracking you lol....pretty sure they were just making sure your id is valid.

This is actually a law in ont canada
---
Real Hip Hop...I miss the 90's-Puppets Of Chaos - Tru Dat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqxBDN-cv08
#7Marblesbunbun(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 10:37:49 AM
I just got a private message from a Target worker.

"the register is Creating an "Algorhythm." for you, I.E. Creating a Sub Account for you, in the event that you return, and purchase M-Rated Games, or anything that requires an ID Check, so it keeps track of WHAT your purchasing so it can print out personal coupons for you, for future items."
---
#8true_gamer80Posted 2/7/2013 10:38:14 AM
jrr18 posted...
Thank god for Canada America's smarter more awesome half-brother we use other thing besides free speech for a scapegoat like the USA and government.

umm ID being scanned is common place in canada.....not to track you(i highly highly doubt target is tracking the tc lol) if you look under 25, you will be ID'd, in most places they will then scan your ID to make sure its legal and yours
---
Real Hip Hop...I miss the 90's-Puppets Of Chaos - Tru Dat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqxBDN-cv08
#9jrr18Posted 2/7/2013 10:41:37 AM
true_gamer80 posted...
jrr18 posted...

umm ID being scanned is common place in canada.....not to track you(i highly highly doubt target is tracking the tc lol) if you look under 25, you will be ID'd, in most places they will then scan your ID to make sure its legal and yours

Well I live in alberta and have never had my ID scanned. I've had to show it but I've never had it scanned.
---
Victory over death itself through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101
#10AwayFromHerePosted 2/7/2013 10:41:55 AM
Please don't say something like, 'I'm only going to my M-rated games on Amazon now.'
---
You are hallucinating. Seek help immediately.