This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

POLL: The used games debate

#1daigre7Posted 2/7/2013 11:25:11 AM
How would you deal with used games next gen? - Results (58 votes)
Implement a "Game Pass" players would purchase*
6.9% (4 votes)
Eliminate used games and lower the cost of new games
20.69% (12 votes)
No change - Greedy devs are the main problem
58.62% (34 votes)
I don't rent or buy used games
13.79% (8 votes)
This poll is now closed.
*My idea of a Game Pass would be you're allowed full access to any used game for the first hour. Then you pay $10 for a game pass to keep playing. $10 will get you 2 weeks of full access.

Personally, if used games were eliminated and the cost of new games was lowered to $50 or even $40, I guess I could live with that.
---
PSN - Hand_Banana
#2thetrixter99Posted 2/7/2013 11:32:02 AM
I can promise you this won't be the generation that ends used game's. When the console's end then used game's will end
---
Just when you think you have it all figured out you been tricked :)
#3ComfortablySadPosted 2/7/2013 11:32:31 AM
No change - Greedy PUBLISHERS are the main problem
---
Teenage angst has paid off well, now I'm bored and old.
#4JohnHitman47Posted 2/7/2013 11:33:09 AM
Implement a "Game Pass" players would purchase*
---
Love good shooters and horror.
#5GunzleaderPosted 2/7/2013 11:42:28 AM
how about 10 $ for full acess FOR LIFE? two weeks? LOL LMFAO!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHA.
---
im not a troll sorry if i offend you in anyway. RIP Everquest Online Adventures 2003-2012
#6vervainePosted 2/7/2013 11:44:13 AM
I would put up with game pass but wtf two weeks?? Unlock the game 100% for life for my account, and repeat that if it gets sold again. Aka no one transfer only.
#7CynicalGamer1Posted 2/7/2013 11:45:11 AM
You blame developers and game companies but the problem is places like gamestop. if money went from used game sales to the developer...we wouldn't have so many microtransactions.

I am fine with eliminating used games. If not that then I say a mandatory tax for each game sold used to go to the game companies. Apply this to gamestop, online sales...anything. you sell a used game then a small portion needs to go to who made the game.
#8theshovellerPosted 2/7/2013 11:52:55 AM
I can't find an option here I like. I wouldn't change anything, but I also don't blame publishers (not developers - publishers) for being greedy. They need to make some money, and the used game market is a spot where they can squeeze a few more bucks from.

That said, about the only thing I don't like about the whole "online pass" thing is the fact that the online pass (or "new user special stuff," or what-have-you) ends up costing more than what you save by buying used. I really, honestly think places like Gamestop should let you buy a pass through them, and give you a discount at the time of purchase so it still averages out to being cheaper than a new copy of the game.

Say, there's a brand-new game out. The online pass is $10, despite the fact the game's offline single-player only. New, the game is $60. Used, the game is $55. Gamestop will let you buy an online pass - just like if you bought it off the PSN or Xbox Live or whatever and had a code to enter - and the total would end up being $57.50. The person buying used saves a tiny bit of cash (it sucks,) the publisher gets a bit of cash (it sucks) and Gamestop still ends up making a sizeable chunk of change on the game (though not as much as before - again, it sucks for all involved.) Still, the net gain is better relations with your consumers, more DLC sales in-store for them (which they seem to be pushing now, what with buying DLC through them,) more sales of online passes, and a better, cheaper alternative for the consumer in the end.

Probably could use some work - hell, maybe make the used game without the "online pass" be $50 as opposed to $55, and make the price with the pass be the old standard of $55. Still, it'd be something of a win - or equal loss - all around the board.
#9ComfortablySadPosted 2/7/2013 11:59:27 AM
CynicalGamer1 posted...
You blame developers and game companies but the problem is places like gamestop. if money went from used game sales to the developer...we wouldn't have so many microtransactions.

I am fine with eliminating used games. If not that then I say a mandatory tax for each game sold used to go to the game companies. Apply this to gamestop, online sales...anything. you sell a used game then a small portion needs to go to who made the game.

Used games have been around since the industry was born yet it continues to grow. Used isn't hurting anything. And developers get the same salary whether the game gets cancelled or sells 100 millions copies.
---
Teenage angst has paid off well, now I'm bored and old.
#10jrr18Posted 2/7/2013 12:20:41 PM
Used games lead to more sales and there greed will just hurt them.

For example I got dragon age origin used and went on to buy the expansion, then the ultimate edition and sequel when they came out because I liked it. Without used games I would never have tried the game. Buying dragon age 1 also lead to me getting all the mass effect games and there DLC. So let’s do the math me getting dragon age used lead to me getting the expansion pack ultimate edition sequel and bioware’s other main franchise with all the DLC all new. That’s 5 games with all the DLC.
---
Victory over death itself through superior fire power!
PSN jrr101