This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

POLL: The used games debate

#11nihilist212Posted 2/7/2013 11:23:57 AM
This is about the millionth topic made about this issue. Does no one have anything else to talk about?
---
Go, then.....there are other worlds than these.
psn: jcvdismyhero
#12SigmaHacielPosted 2/7/2013 11:24:53 AM
ComfortablySad posted...
No change - Greedy PUBLISHERS are the main problem

This.

How are people so stupid as to believe it is the developers' faults.
#13theshovellerPosted 2/7/2013 11:30:42 AM
SigmaHaciel posted...
ComfortablySad posted...

This.

People see "the developers" as "the people who make the game." Since EA "makes" Game X, EA must be the developers, and the developers are evil. They don't understand that "developers" are to "authors" and "publishers" are to... well, "publishers" - specifically using books, Wizards of the Coast, Del Ray Books, or those Little Golden Books you see made for real young kids. The author's not the one who decides that the last ten pages of the book get sold separately, or the preface before each part of the book gets sold for a dollar each. The author writes the book, ships it off to the publisher, the publisher gives them money for it.

About the only thing I could see being different might be royalties - an author would get royalty checks, but I don't know if developers get anything of the sort.
#14SigmaHacielPosted 2/7/2013 11:31:56 AM
theshoveller posted...
SigmaHaciel posted...
ComfortablySad posted...

This.

People see "the developers" as "the people who make the game." Since EA "makes" Game X, EA must be the developers, and the developers are evil. They don't understand that "developers" are to "authors" and "publishers" are to... well, "publishers" - specifically using books, Wizards of the Coast, Del Ray Books, or those Little Golden Books you see made for real young kids. The author's not the one who decides that the last ten pages of the book get sold separately, or the preface before each part of the book gets sold for a dollar each. The author writes the book, ships it off to the publisher, the publisher gives them money for it.

About the only thing I could see being different might be royalties - an author would get royalty checks, but I don't know if developers get anything of the sort.

I mean, yes. There ARE some groups who can develop AND publish.

But that is a minority. Hell, that is basically EA. Because all EA does is gobble up once-good groups.
#15D_Rich_KingPosted 2/7/2013 11:32:11 AM
I wouldn't mind used games being eliminated if it made them cheaper to buy new.
---
DLC is a method of corporate profiteering. Will you buy into it?
#16Jinzo 111887Posted 2/7/2013 11:56:43 AM
They can't legally eliminate used games. Europe ruled used digital games legal, which means trying to eliminate them would result in getting sue. Valve's already being sued over it. http://www.gamespot.com/news/german-group-sues-valve-6403307 Wish the group targeted EA first since they seem like they need the lawsuit more.
---
Giygas used the Red Ring of Death to sabotage Slenderman's plan to use Xbox 360s and Halo to brainwash kids.
#17daigre7(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 12:00:23 PM
So people aren't hung up on it, I meant to put devs and publishers in the third option.

This really is a tough issue because a reasonable person should be able to see valid points on both sides. I'm a cynic on any issue involving big corporations and money, so I have a bad feeling used games will be killed off next gen. However, if we get $39.99 new games and access to more game trials sooner, that would definitely make it a less jagged pill to swallow.
---
PSN - Hand_Banana
#18Jinzo 111887Posted 2/7/2013 12:08:35 PM
So people aren't hung up on it, I meant to put devs and publishers in the third option.

This really is a tough issue because a reasonable person should be able to see valid points on both sides. I'm a cynic on any issue involving big corporations and money, so I have a bad feeling used games will be killed off next gen. However, if we get $39.99 new games and access to more game trials sooner, that would definitely make it a less jagged pill to swallow.

See the post above yours. There is a link to something that can provide some reassurance on used games sticking around.
---
At least Nintendo and Good Old Games are treating customers right instead of taking them for granted. They provide light during dark times.
#19theshovellerPosted 2/7/2013 12:10:30 PM
daigre7 posted...

I'm really against the complete removal of used games, if only for the reasoning that games are a finite resource. Physical games have only X number of copies made, and then that's it (barring a reprint.) Digital copies only exist until the system breaks and the distributor no longer offers the game "on tap."

With used games, you can at least buy that game you traded in or sold off or otherwise lost years ago and play it again just fine. If I want to, I can whip out my old copy of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for NES and play it, as it was in its original state. If I want to, I can do a search on eBay or something for... say, Mega Man 6 and buy it for the NES and play it on an actual NES. While people say that emulation will solve all those issues, it's not a 100% thing. I still can't find an Xbox emulator that plays games with any sort of reliability, definitely none that can play anything that's not Halo or Halo 2, and I really don't think there'll be a lot of work done on that front. So, buy an old Xbox and the game, and you're good to go.