This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS4 to launch at $428 in Japan

#1SolnotPosted 2/7/2013 9:35:39 PM
http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/6/3961512/ps4-price-and-release-date-in-asahi-shimbun-report

The PlayStation 4 will launch this year for over 40,000 yen (about $428), according to a report in major Japanese daily the Asahi Shimbun. That's the first clear indication we've gotten on how much the new system might cost, and suggests that while Sony isn't pricing the PS4 too aggressively next to the likes of the Wii U, it may have learned its lesson from the shaky PlayStation 3 launch.

For comparison, upon release in 2006 the PS3 cost around 60,000 yen in its more expensive configuration, and $599 in the US. Meanwhile, the cheapest PS3 now costs 24,980 yen in Japan versus $269 in the US. Were the PS4 to launch at 40,000 yen in Japan, we'd expect an American price point of around $400 or more.

PS4 launch price at $400 USD = Day 1 Buy?
#2Thor61Posted 2/7/2013 9:38:10 PM
599 US dollars
#3CammyApplePosted 2/7/2013 9:39:02 PM
$426 at the moment.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
#4Seattle1234Posted 2/7/2013 9:44:43 PM
I'm going to laugh hysterically when Feb. 20 comes around, and Sony trolls the hell out everbody and unveils a new PSP or another motion-controller add on. These guys are nowhere near releasing a new console. These rumors are going to continue for a long time and they mean nothing unless spoken from Sony themselves.
#5Red_JesterPosted 2/7/2013 9:47:25 PM
If that's true, then the price will be $400 in the US. That's generally how it goes when you first see a Japanese price converted to something like $332 or $225, etc. It'll be lowered to $400 for sure if the rumor is true.
---
I do benefits for all religions. I'd hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality. - Bob Hope
I'm right about everything, every time. 60% of the time.
#6CammyApplePosted 2/7/2013 9:47:51 PM
Seattle1234 posted...
I'm going to laugh hysterically when Feb. 20 comes around, and Sony trolls the hell out everbody and unveils a new PSP or another motion-controller add on. These guys are nowhere near releasing a new console. These rumors are going to continue for a long time and they mean nothing unless spoken from Sony themselves.

Or it's about that streaming gaming service they bought.
---
Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.
#7kel25Posted 2/7/2013 9:53:19 PM
Seattle1234 posted...

Why would Sony come out and confirm that the rumors of the PS4 being announced Feb 20th are true? It would be one of the dumbest moves in marketing history. Of course they will try deny it until they have their big news announcement for it.

The same thing happened with the Vita. Hell they even made jokes about how they couldn't keep a secret when it was officially announced.

Lets face it, Sony would only do this if they had some big news that was video game related. It's pretty obvious that this is for the PS4 because of all the signs and trends in gaming. If it is anything else then Sony is trolling the world.