This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The fine line betwen high standards and nitpicking (example: a game's story)

#1indie_animatorPosted 2/7/2013 10:11:45 PM
Just putting out a topic on our opinions of games.

I try to avoid arguments on forums because stress is bad for one's health. Most of us probably don't like stress.

But when someone posts an opinion you disagree with, do you bother to respond?

Take a game's story. (Most games get the art down) I'll avoid FF13 games :) & go with Persona 4 Arena/ BlazBlue CSE.

At least one person has mentioned those games have terrible stories.

My thought is: compared to what? Other fighting games? Games in general? Or the best in film/lit? I think I have high standards, but if those games have *terrible* stories, what is an average one, let alone a great one?

But another thought is that no company needs me or a random Gamefaqs person to defend them. Bottom line is I really apreciate the huge effort put into the stories & art of those two games. I have a few things I'd change, but overall- wow.

Just sort of rambling a bit, but figured I'd get the ball rolling on something new. Hopefuly we can respect each other on this one.

Thanks!
---
But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. (James 1:4)
#2EternalDividePosted 2/8/2013 12:19:29 AM
When someone brings up FFXIII. And as impossibly deluded as it sounds, claims it has the greatest: story ever told, fleshed out characters, engaging world, tactically "deep" gameplay.

It irritates me to no end. For this reason. Like or dislike of lets say it's music or art design is a matter of opinion and is debatable between people. The elements of story telling ( the way the story is told), character depth, and tactical gameplay are not matters of opinion, they are either present or not.

The storytelling is backwards and horrendous.
The characters have no to minute growth by the end.
Tactically speaking the game basically twists your arm into only being able to use a certain set of Ai suites to win against x enemy. The only tactic is figuring out which set.

I've only been able to chalk up the rabid fanboys that claim otherwise as simply never having experienced any kind of entertainment across any medium with an intelligence level above The Jersey Shore before in their lives. Because if they did they would know the difference between good and bad storytelling and present versus nonexistent character growth.
#3Nightmare637Posted 2/8/2013 12:22:32 AM
for P4A to me its mainly the repetiveness, its basically the same thing repeated multiple times for most of the roster.

I love BBCSE's story though.
---
PSN:Nightmare637
Don't bother arguing with Sophi he'll never admit hes wrong even when he is :D.
#4justchill433Posted 2/8/2013 12:27:36 AM
They are fighting games. Nobody plays fighting games for their story. FFXIII had an objectively mediocre story at best. It was confusing, and I was constantly forced to read the story notes. I'm far from being the only person who had to read these notes. That is bad storytelling at its finest.
---
PSN: s1l3nt_x_cha0s GT: xziT4L3NTZx
*slips of cliff*
#5Thor61Posted 2/8/2013 12:40:04 AM
The problem with fighting games is it's hard to tell a well presented and thought out story in such a setup like that. In the end it comes down to which pointless fodder to bring you to the next fight and when they try to tell a deep story it's so forced and just not good story telling. Those games are built for the arcade gamer that loves multiplayer, nothing else matters.
#6indie_animator(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 7:39:37 AM
I didn't bring up FF13 because there are so many JRPG topics here. I wouldn't defend it.

I know what a FG is "JustChill". I've been playing them since they first appeared. Also used to compete in arcades & even some tournaments.
You can't know for sure whether a Persona fan got the game because they want more of the story & characters they know from the RPG. Unless you've asked everyone on earth that plays it. :)

I don't believe story is important for fighters or most games. Never said that. Not sure why anyone would think I need that. I grew up on Space Invaders, etc.

Just saying it can be a nice bonus if you love FGs, good art, but aren't able to play online.
Don't even have a PS3- can't do it at my place. When I visit my brother on the weekend, I can play. Hope that clears things up.

How about this aspect of story: simplicity & game type.

Sometimes a simple story like Castle Crashers can work better than a huge, complex one that just doesn't appeal to you.

And game type- zombie games, MK, GTA, and some other types just don't appeal to me, so I might be missing out on some good stories, but would rather limit myself- in a good way.

Thanks for the replies!
---
But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing. (James 1:4)