This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How can Mass Effect 3 be considered a roleplaying GAME?

#11beastwarkingPosted 2/8/2013 12:19:39 AM
because you are actually in the role of your character and can make decisions that impact the world and those around you

That's practically every game in existence though. If you don't repel the aliens from Space Invaders then the Earth will be destroyed and billions of people who relied on you will die :p
---
ba-weep-gra-na-weep-ninny-bong
Hail to the king, baby
#12kcypher2000Posted 2/8/2013 12:20:33 AM
656stooge posted...
Go play D&D and tell me RPG's aren't about leveling up stats and weapons.

Its not, not at all. Its about role playing your character and making decisions, many encounters have nothing to do with combat or stats but decisions. Stats are used to replicate all the skills you could use in real life and to add rules to govern combat and show progression. Hence many skills and classes in pen and paper games are totally useless in combat.

Btw i have played many pen and paper games as DM/GM for years. Most memorable events are not the battles but the hard decisions that a player is forced to make that defines them beyond their class or stats.
#13jubjub360Posted 2/8/2013 12:23:21 AM
kcypher2000 posted...
656stooge posted...

Its not, not at all. Its about role playing your character and making decisions, many encounters have nothing to do with combat or stats but decisions. Stats are used to replicate all the skills you could use in real life and to add rules to govern combat and show progression. Hence many skills and classes in pen and paper games are totally useless in combat.

Btw i have played many pen and paper games as DM/GM for years. Most memorable events are not the battles but the hard decisions that a player is forced to make that defines them beyond their class or stats.

Did... Did someone just pretty much say that DnD isn't an RPG?
---
I am the TRUE Message Board Superhero- Getting rid of trolls one at a time. You're welcome.
~Number of trolls owned:5~ ~ Number of fans:11~
#14kcypher2000Posted 2/8/2013 12:24:32 AM
beastwarking posted...
because you are actually in the role of your character and can make decisions that impact the world and those around you

That's practically every game in existence though. If you don't repel the aliens from Space Invaders then the Earth will be destroyed and billions of people who relied on you will die :p

Completely wrong, if you were really in the role of your character you would be making the decisions of how to repel the aliens and not just watching your character make all the choices. Role playing means you are the actor with some choice over what to do, in other games you are the stunt double just queued up for the action and other gimmicks.

This isn't to mock those games either but that is not role playing. That is just a game, a fpser has stats and levels and classes but that doesn't make it an rpg unless like ME you get some choice over your characters choices.

In ME i can ask you what choice did your Shephard make for X which could lead to differences in ME3. You can't do that with Halo or even Final Fantasy 6, two games i do love but i am simply watching the Chief and Terra do their thing. I walk them around and fight but i have no say on real decisions.
#15thisranksPosted 2/8/2013 12:25:06 AM
Are you actively playing the protagonist? Then you are Role Playing that character. Hence why they are called Role Playing Games.

I can't grasp how people don't seem to understand the simplicity of that logic ... but we are dealing with some folks who want games defined by the way they think and not fact.
---
Elf this....Elf that....I'll Elf your mother.
Yuki Nagato FTW
#16angry_cowtipperPosted 2/8/2013 12:25:42 AM
Shouldn't roleplaying be in caps? Like you find it more audacious that it's roleplaying than the fact it's a game, right?'
---
Don't Starve (PC), Okami HD (PS3), Halo: Reach (360), Dungeon Defenders (AND), Gravity Rush (VITA)
#17kcypher2000Posted 2/8/2013 12:26:04 AM
jubjub360 posted...
kcypher2000 posted...
656stooge posted...

Learn to read, i said DnD is not just about levels and stats.
#18UniversquallPosted 2/8/2013 12:26:52 AM
ME3 is completely different to ME1 and 2? Interesting.
---
After the Fallout
#19kcypher2000Posted 2/8/2013 12:27:37 AM
thisranks posted...
Are you actively playing the protagonist? Then you are Role Playing that character. Hence why they are called Role Playing Games.

I can't grasp how people don't seem to understand the simplicity of that logic ... but we are dealing with some folks who want games defined by the way they think and not fact.

Then every game is a RPG by your moronic standards. Then the term becomes redundant and you should just call it a GAME.
#20jubjub360Posted 2/8/2013 12:28:06 AM
kcypher2000 posted...
jubjub360 posted...
kcypher2000 posted...
656stooge posted...

Learn to read, i said DnD is not just about levels and stats.

Said the person whose original post proves he didn't read the topic. RPGS are more about the stats and levels than the decisions. Role playing game. You are playing a role and helping to create and build upon that role. The decision making process is minor to actually creating a character.

Learn to RP.
---
I am the TRUE Message Board Superhero- Getting rid of trolls one at a time. You're welcome.
~Number of trolls owned:5~ ~ Number of fans:11~