This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If people don't like modern FF, why do they keep buying and playing the games?

#11TruthPosted 2/7/2013 11:45:31 PM
This is something that has got me thinking.

Looking at various FF forums, there are those who whine and complain about modern FF and Toriyama all the time. Yet, if they don't like the current state of mainline FF, can't they just invest in another video game series? There are a lot of fantastic series out there worthy of your time and money rather than FF.

Heck, think about the key FF developers that have left Square Enix and moved on from FF. Hironobu Sakaguchi, Nobuo Uematsu, Ken Narita, Tetsuya Takahashi, Yasumi Matsuno,etc. These are people that don't care about playing new installments in the series anymore and yet they are people that used to work on the FF series every single day.

If the key developers can manage to break away from the FF series, why can't certain fans?

The way I see it, FF fans love to complain about FF and bash Toriyama, but if Toriyama offered them $1,000 to no longer play any future FF games, you wouldn't be able to take up his offer. In other words, if the FF fanbase don't like the current state of FF but are unwilling to stop playing the series then they should shut up and deal with it.
---
Final Fantasy XII is a masterpiece in both game design and story.
#2theatrical_catPosted 2/7/2013 11:46:59 PM
It's obligation. It's a lot like Star Wars: the movies have been terrible for a long time now, but dammit, if they put them in theaters again, I will pay to see it. It's part of being a die hard fan, and it sucks.
---
In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.
#3mistermikeymikePosted 2/7/2013 11:53:22 PM
pretty sure they arent. look at the drop off in sales from 13->13-2
---
So Damn Foxy.
#41Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 12:01:47 AM
theatrical_cat posted...
It's obligation. It's a lot like Star Wars: the movies have been terrible for a long time now, but dammit, if they put them in theaters again, I will pay to see it. It's part of being a die hard fan, and it sucks.

That's the reason i was thinking, too. It's almost like a drug to some of these fanboys. Even though they want to break away, they can't resist buying and playing due to them being called FF. It's somewhat sad to see, TBH.

It also give credence to the games industry's love for sequels. They know people will always buy a sequel due to the addiction to the IP.
---
#5BokuxPicoPosted 2/8/2013 12:05:06 AM
Haven't bought a single final fantasy game since 13 came out.
#6DarkSymbiotePosted 2/8/2013 12:05:45 AM
What are you talking about? FFXIII-2 sold considerably less than the prequel.
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#7thisranksPosted 2/8/2013 12:15:07 AM
theatrical_cat posted...

Um ... no. I was one of those people who watched the original 80 or more times and knew all the lines by heart never mind re-reading the book umpteen times. I tried watching Pt. 1 and fell asleep around the time they get to Anakin. With all due respect Pts. 1-3 were doo-doo compared to Pts 4-6. I'm not obligated to watch them at all.

That said, movies aren't like video games. Even if it's only a controller or mouse/keyboard you are actively involved in a game. That's why the called it "role playing" in the first place before that term got bastardized as well.

As for why they do it ... i can't speak for them personally. I can understand the expectations and disgust, but they aren't the people making the games.
---
Elf this....Elf that....I'll Elf your mother.
Yuki Nagato FTW
#81Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 12:17:11 AM
mistermikeymike posted...
pretty sure they arent. look at the drop off in sales from 13->13-2

BokuxPico posted...
Haven't bought a single final fantasy game since 13 came out.

DarkSymbiote posted...
What are you talking about? FFXIII-2 sold considerably less than the prequel.

True. I guess there are people out there that are doing what I've stated in the OP. It's only the most dedicated and diehard of fans that are still sticking with the series.
---
#9kcypher2000Posted 2/8/2013 12:17:20 AM
thisranks posted...
theatrical_cat posted...

Um ... no. I was one of those people who watched the original 80 or more times and knew all the lines by heart never mind re-reading the book umpteen times. I tried watching Pt. 1 and fell asleep around the time they get to Anakin. With all due respect Pts. 1-3 were doo-doo compared to Pts 4-6. I'm not obligated to watch them at all.

That said, movies aren't like video games. Even if it's only a controller or mouse/keyboard you are actively involved in a game. That's why the called it "role playing" in the first place before that term got bastardized as well.

As for why they do it ... i can't speak for them personally. I can understand the expectations and disgust, but they aren't the people making the games.

Totally not true at all. Role playing comes from pen and paper as the first rpgs attempted to replicate dungeons and dragons. They got the stats and levels and classes down but jrpgs never allowed you to truly be put in your characters role, meaning able to make decisions besides what level of fire to cast.
#10Paulf001Posted 2/8/2013 12:17:34 AM
I bought 13 and 13-2 because I liked the games. Is that hard to understand?