This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If people don't like modern FF, why do they keep buying and playing the games?

#211Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 11:36:19 PM
RevolutionV posted...
I tried to convince myself that I liked FFXIII, heck I even defended the game for a while, but after I took the blinders off, I could no longer lie to myself; FFXIII was a tedious, awful FF game. I bought it blindly, because that's what I have always done with the FF titles and they have never let me down. I finished the game, because I had invested too much time on it and I could not just leave the game half done.

But because of FFXIII, I did not buy FFXIII-2 and will not buy LT:FFXIII. I'm also going to be more careful when giving my money to SE, so they did loose a life-long, loyal customer and their constant rehashing of the FNC and FFXIII world has only made me more skeptical of their direction.

I usually don't complain about games, but this was the biggest disappointment this gen for me...By FAR.

Great read.

I'm always interested in how the FF series has lost fans due to FFXIII. I am also a gamer that lost faith in FF due to FFXIII. I per-ordered it and completed it. However, the only thing I liked about it was the graphics and art direction. Till this day, I have not bought another game from Square Enix on console or handheld. They really need to go for broke on a FF game to earn my money again. I will not buy a FF game again until it gets a score of 90+ on Metacritic like Xenoblade did.
---
Final Fantasy XII is a masterpiece in both game design and story.
#22Magical_MooglesPosted 2/7/2013 11:38:37 PM
I think for me personally I'll be more careful with the products I buy from Square Enix. Since I genuinely didn't enjoy FFXIII It didn't make sense for me to rush and get the sequels.

After a number of crappy spinoff games and then Final Fantasy XIII It's safe to say there won't be any first-day buys anymore. I didn't bother with the FFXIII-2 and I won't be buying Lightning Returns. I have no intention of buying FFXIII versus and any future FF game will be met with scrutiny.

The only division in SE I feel is worth my consideration is the one currently led by Hiroyuki Ito. I feel Final Fantasy XII (2006) and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (2010) were the last two FF games which were worthy of my time. Actually, I even enjoyed Tactics A2 (2007), so yeah I'll probably be paying more of my attention to this division. It's disappointing that Yasumi Matsuno left the company but they can still thrive without him!

The whole Kingdom Hearts franchise never really appealed to me. I've played the 1st and the 2nd, but I never understand the love those games received. Don't care for the online FF games and I also felt Final Fantasy X was pretty mediocre to be honest. The only game from the main division that I might give a try is "The World Ends With You". It got good reviews, it'll be probably cheap to buy and it's supposedly very unique. The fact that I've not enjoyed a single product from the MAIN division since 1999 which is Final Fantasy VIII (Final Fantasy IX is a unique case being developed outside) speaks for itself.
#23656stoogePosted 2/7/2013 11:39:41 PM
justchill433 posted...
Like other people said, sales have been dropping since FF13 and they will continue to drop if they keep releasing crap. Still, as much as I hate what SE has become they still hold power over me. They have Eidos, KH, Bravely Default, FFVS13, Type-0, FFXHD, etc... Seriously, they could make so much mu=oney if they just gave gamers what they want.

I feel the same way about Capcom. They're not like EA where I want to hate the company, because they really did have a whole lot of talent and some amazing IP's. I'm not even considering purchasing Lightning Returns at the moment, but deep down I secretly wish it will turn out amazing.

Still, it's not what I want from the series though. If I'm ever going to come crawling back then they're going to have start making some proper JRPG's again; Great story and characters, strategic battle system, and those amazing tunes Square used to be known for.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKk-9lPMQZ0
--Car boot and pigeon ****
#241Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2013 11:41:16 PM
RevolutionV posted...
I wish that the next FF title is closer to the FFXII formula, that was one of the best games in the series and one of the best games of the PS2 era. SE needs to drop the FNC, FFXIII and all the people associated with the direction of the series during this time period.

I agree.

FFXII should be the future direction of the series. Xenoblade copied it and look how great that game turned out. Just evolve the FFXII world scale and battle system and add a deep story with meaningful dialogue choices and multiple endings. Personally, I hope the FFXII/Tactics Ogre team make FFXV.
---
#25justchill433Posted 2/7/2013 11:47:14 PM
RevolutionV posted...
I wish that the next FF title is closer to the FFXII formula, that was one of the best games in the series and one of the best games of the PS2 era. SE needs to drop the FNC, FFXIII and all the people associated with the direction of the series during this time period.

I agree.

FFXII should be the future direction of the series. Xenoblade copied it and look how great that game turned out. Just evolve the FFXII world scale and battle system and add a deep story with meaningful dialogue choices and multiple endings. Personally, I hope the FFXII/Tactics Ogre team make FFXV.

FFXII was based on a crappy sequel, so meh. I also didn't like the story. Maybe it's just me expecting too much since the game was based on FFTactics and its sequels. I also felt the gambit system takes the player out of the experience. Loved the sidequests and big open areas though.
---
PSN: s1l3nt_x_cha0s GT: xziT4L3NTZx
*slips of cliff*
#26IamthekuzalolPosted 2/8/2013 12:04:51 AM
FF13-2 sold what? 3 millions on multi-platforms, that's pretty pathetic for a main FF title. I predict that sales might be worse for the next coming FF13 game.
#27RevolutionVPosted 2/8/2013 12:13:19 AM
I actually really enjoyed every aspect of FFXII, I think the story was great, but it was a departure from the traditional formula because it focused on the geopolitical struggle and the case was just part of the story. I founded especially appealing because of all of the things that were going on in the world during that time (Iraq and Afghanistan wars, political unrest, heated elections here in the U.S etc). FFXII felt relevant to its time. Plus I think Vayne was a great antagonist, his internal struggle made him credible and appealing. I also loved the huge, open world, that felt alive and real. There was an aspect of immersion in that game that I haven't felt in game, not called Fallout or TES, in a long time.

But to stay on topic. I'm a consumer first, and I won't support a company that appears have buried their heads in the sand and are only listening to themselves, as opposed to the fans. I'm not boycotting, I'm just voting with my wallet, and as soon as another great FF game comes out, I will buy another FF game.
#281Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 12:33:02 AM
Magical_Moogles posted...
I think for me personally I'll be more careful with the products I buy from Square Enix. Since I genuinely didn't enjoy FFXIII It didn't make sense for me to rush and get the sequels.

After a number of crappy spinoff games and then Final Fantasy XIII It's safe to say there won't be any first-day buys anymore. I didn't bother with the FFXIII-2 and I won't be buying Lightning Returns. I have no intention of buying FFXIII versus and any future FF game will be met with scrutiny.

The only division in SE I feel is worth my consideration is the one currently led by Hiroyuki Ito. I feel Final Fantasy XII (2006) and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (2010) were the last two FF games which were worthy of my time. Actually, I even enjoyed Tactics A2 (2007), so yeah I'll probably be paying more of my attention to this division. It's disappointing that Yasumi Matsuno left the company but they can still thrive without him!

The whole Kingdom Hearts franchise never really appealed to me. I've played the 1st and the 2nd, but I never understand the love those games received. Don't care for the online FF games and I also felt Final Fantasy X was pretty mediocre to be honest. The only game from the main division that I might give a try is "The World Ends With You". It got good reviews, it'll be probably cheap to buy and it's supposedly very unique. The fact that I've not enjoyed a single product from the MAIN division since 1999 which is Final Fantasy VIII (Final Fantasy IX is a unique case being developed outside) speaks for itself.

Great read. I agree with everything you said.

justchill433 posted...
FFXII was based on a crappy sequel, so meh. I also didn't like the story. Maybe it's just me expecting too much since the game was based on FFTactics and its sequels. I also felt the gambit system takes the player out of the experience. Loved the sidequests and big open areas though.

Actually, FFTA began development after FFXII. I also felt the story wasn't great, but I loved the dialogue of the voice acting. Also, Gambits indeed made the game hands-off, but I made sure not use them at all on my party leader.
---
#291Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 12:45:12 AM
Iamthekuzalol posted...
FF13-2 sold what? 3 millions on multi-platforms, that's pretty pathetic for a main FF title. I predict that sales might be worse for the next coming FF13 game.

I'm predicting LR will sell 2 million worldwide.
---
#30majin nemesisPosted 2/8/2013 3:26:33 AM
i like them and i will keep buying them
---
Swann:This is the last time.I'm tired of running damage control every time he makes a mess
Campbell:Right.You're the control,and if that fails,I'm the damage