This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

People always wonder why CoD is so succesful every year.....

#41true_gamer80Posted 2/8/2013 10:49:31 AM
ChaoticKnuckles posted...
true_gamer80 posted...
I think the real reason people hate it is because it makes a ton of money which makes other companies and developers want to mimic that success and the easiest way to do that is to copy the Call of Duty formula. Yearly releases, multiplayer, etc. etc. For some games it works out and doesn't make the product worse. But for others copying the CoD formula just doesn't make sense. I think the fear of things from CoD creeping into their favorite franchises is what makes people have such a problem with it.

somewhat good point but the thing is in the bigger scope of things not many games are actually "copying" it. I mean yes theres a number of cod clones but theres just as many that are not. Hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of games out, ppl act like a handful of games is everything and a single series is ruining anything...its just ridiculous and Im a strong believer in these ppl are usually the ones that are completely unaware of so many game sout and only follow a miniscule amoutn of games to say somethng so silly, cause while in a few cases that may be the case in the biger scope of things its just not reality.
I think the fact ppl here only talk about an extremely small % of games and I mean a minsicule amount, are usually only ever talked about around here proves that perfectly. For a console with over 1000 games its amazing how many at this board only talk about very very very few of them(usually only popular or hyped games)

That's a good point. I guess what I mean by copy is incorporate elements of the franchise into games that really might not benefit from it. Multiplayer where it adds nothing to the game is a good example of this. Every game is doing it, they say to make sure people don't trade it in, but if your multiplayer sucks people aren't going to keep the game anyway. Yet we see tacked (or at least cookie-cutter) multiplayer all the time. These days if a game doesn't have MP it's a shock. It's almost as if these companies have a checklist of things that Call of Duty did to sell well and they try to add as much of it as possible to franchises that are already successful on their own so that they can have the next mega hit. And that's just one example. But I see what you're getting at. I think some people are just on a bandwagon but at the same time it's a little disheartening to think that in the near future the majority of games released could be so heavily influenced by CoD that they aren't even recognizable anymore.

dont get me wrong, with certain games this is very much the case, there will always be the "me too, cash grab" games out there but as awhole when talking looking at tthe bgger scope of things its nowhere, not even close on the level some pretend it is.

Its nobodies fauly but their own if they are unaware of whats available or only follow a small % of games. Thats whats great about being a gamer, owe have many many options available to us nowadays, if you dont like something or a style of game in a certain genre, skip it and play something to your liking. The options are out there.

What I find really odd is all this cod hate and what ppl say, yet the actual "hardcore shooter" or shooters that are the complete opposite of games like cod are never never never talked about...at all and if they are usually of course its ppl bashing them cause its not popular or hyped or as polished as cod lol....its the wierdest thing lol
---
Real Hip Hop...I miss the 90's-Puppets Of Chaos - Tru Dat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqxBDN-cv08
#42true_gamer80Posted 2/8/2013 10:51:35 AM
ChaoticKnuckles I want to thank yu aswell. It may sound silly with me saying ty but its extremely refreshing to talk or share opinions even f they differ in a civilised manner. Its nice having a nromal convo instead of ppl freaking over opinion or yelling or throwing insults or just acting like a douche cause they may not agree with someone...

So ty :)
---
Real Hip Hop...I miss the 90's-Puppets Of Chaos - Tru Dat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqxBDN-cv08
#43regsantotomasPosted 2/8/2013 10:59:13 AM
I didn't realize that this was such a big mystery.

CoD and many other games stay thematically and mechanically similar to what has proven to be successful.

Well, of course! And more important, what is wrong with that? Customers seems to be happy with it and developers/publishers aren't going to complain.

The market is large enough for annual releases of big budget titles along with more niche or unique IPs out there. Some people seem to have a problem with the reality that these things are independent of each other.

Game makers will continue to make games that there is a demand for and as long as that demand remains - whether its for a title or specific genre - those games will exist.

If your specific game or genre isn't getting the same treatment, then there is probably a perceived lack of interest and/or sales.

While the industry doesn't always go the direction I want, I have found that supporting the games I like have resulted in things going my way more often than not.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#44crazyman32Posted 2/8/2013 11:08:57 AM
it's simple millions will buy the next cod game because,they enjoy the series and mostly for the MP obviously.
---
PSN ID:gearhead32
I used to care but now I take a pill for that.I apologize for nothing.
#45ChaoticKnucklesPosted 2/8/2013 1:50:28 PM
true_gamer80 posted...
ChaoticKnuckles I want to thank yu aswell. It may sound silly with me saying ty but its extremely refreshing to talk or share opinions even f they differ in a civilised manner. Its nice having a nromal convo instead of ppl freaking over opinion or yelling or throwing insults or just acting like a douche cause they may not agree with someone...

So ty :)

I agree and same to you. Even if we completely disagree on something there's no reason to start losing our minds over it and personally insulting each other. I wish more people here would take that approach. I enjoy a healthy, civilized debate but that seems almost impossible to find on this website. So thank you as well :-)
---
I boosted some of my trophies. Please, judge me about it.
#46ChaoticKnucklesPosted 2/8/2013 2:11:32 PM
regsantotomas posted...
I didn't realize that this was such a big mystery.

CoD and many other games stay thematically and mechanically similar to what has proven to be successful.

Well, of course! And more important, what is wrong with that? Customers seems to be happy with it and developers/publishers aren't going to complain.

The market is large enough for annual releases of big budget titles along with more niche or unique IPs out there. Some people seem to have a problem with the reality that these things are independent of each other.

Game makers will continue to make games that there is a demand for and as long as that demand remains - whether its for a title or specific genre - those games will exist.

If your specific game or genre isn't getting the same treatment, then there is probably a perceived lack of interest and/or sales.

While the industry doesn't always go the direction I want, I have found that supporting the games I like have resulted in things going my way more often than not.

You're absolutely right. However I can understand when people who are fans of a less popular genre get upset about how popular Call of Duty is because it's a cycle.

Call of Duty hits the jackpot and breaks sales records. Company "A" sees that success and wants a piece of the action. Company "A" also produces a game that is of a less popular genre, let's say JRPGs for instance. So Company "A" produces a JRPG that while profitable, pales in comparison to the money-making monster that is CoD. Company "A" decides to either make a CoD clone and not make another JRPG at all, or add things to its next JRPG that it thinks will help it capture some of the CoD crowd and by extension, the CoD profits. The CoD fans have no interest in a JRPG so they don't buy it. So many changes have been made to the JRPG that the fan of JRPGs either doesn't buy it at all, or buys it and finds that it's so different from what he knows and enjoys that he can't get into it. Word spreads and the JRPG sells even worse than it was projected to.

Rather than see it as a case of "We fixed what wasn't broken, lets go back to what works for us", Company "A" says, "Even less people bought this one, there's no interest anymore. Let's focus all of our resources on capturing that Call of Duty money in full force!" And the cycle continues until that gamer's favorite JRPG is either non-existent, or has been changed so much that it might as well be.

It's easy to say "Move on, if a game you like stops being made then there's no interest in it. Go find something else to play" when you don't feel directly impacted by this type of company decision. But for people who feel like their favorite series have either been severely damaged or outright canceled because of this kind of thinking, it's easy for me to understand why they have such a strong negative reaction to anything Call of Duty.
---
I boosted some of my trophies. Please, judge me about it.
#47regsantotomasPosted 2/8/2013 2:22:06 PM

You're absolutely right. However I can understand when people who are fans of a less popular genre get upset about how popular Call of Duty is because it's a cycle.

Call of Duty hits the jackpot and breaks sales records. Company "A" sees that success and wants a piece of the action. Company "A" also produces a game that is of a less popular genre, let's say JRPGs for instance. So Company "A" produces a JRPG that while profitable, pales in comparison to the money-making monster that is CoD. Company "A" decides to either make a CoD clone and not make another JRPG at all, or add things to its next JRPG that it thinks will help it capture some of the CoD crowd and by extension, the CoD profits. The CoD fans have no interest in a JRPG so they don't buy it. So many changes have been made to the JRPG that the fan of JRPGs either doesn't buy it at all, or buys it and finds that it's so different from what he knows and enjoys that he can't get into it. Word spreads and the JRPG sells even worse than it was projected to.

Rather than see it as a case of "We fixed what wasn't broken, lets go back to what works for us", Company "A" says, "Even less people bought this one, there's no interest anymore. Let's focus all of our resources on capturing that Call of Duty money in full force!" And the cycle continues until that gamer's favorite JRPG is either non-existent, or has been changed so much that it might as well be.

It's easy to say "Move on, if a game you like stops being made then there's no interest in it. Go find something else to play" when you don't feel directly impacted by this type of company decision. But for people who feel like their favorite series have either been severely damaged or outright canceled because of this kind of thinking, it's easy for me to understand why they have such a strong negative reaction to anything Call of Duty.

I can understand that. I am not suggesting for one moment that people should be happy or even passive about the fact that their particular franchise or genre is marginalized because of the perception that they won't be profitable.

In an ideal world, that wouldn't be the driving force for which games are created. Luckily, portable and certainly independent scenes go a long way in pacifying that need.

There are games that I like to play that I no longer see en masse - turn-based JRPGs is certainly one that fits into that descriptor. I don't blame the success of CoD in as much as I blame the lack of demand/willingingness to come out with more of these type of games.

My point is that the anger is often misdirected and discussions can be more fruitful if actual solutions instead of unsubstantiated blame are brought up. I am more than willing to invest in games that interest me - if publishers hear that a game can be profitable for them; then I think we could see more of those type of games return.
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego