This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What could really hurt next gen at the start, "dual generation" releases

#1PhaseBlackPosted 2/8/2013 11:46:33 AM
It seems like people are speculating that GTAV will also have versions that are made for PS4/720 because of the delay. Well something more likely is that the two biggest releases of every year, Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed, will get made for PS4/720 but also release on PS3/360.

Sounds pretty fair, but consumers will be reluctant to upgrade if third party games are still getting PS3/360 versions
---
PSVita & 3DS
#2riddlebox89Posted 2/8/2013 11:49:59 AM
PS3 and 360 had duel generation releases too and they weren't really a problem.

And I'm fairly certain it won't be a problem if the PS4 does the same.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#3Virus66Posted 2/8/2013 12:06:49 PM
riddlebox89 posted...

They weren't a problem? Really? Do you not remember how terrible the 360 and PS3 were at launch and how no one bought them?
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
These days, all the kids are playing M rated games while the adults are lining up for Pokemon. Which game is a kid's game now?
#4Shy420Posted 2/8/2013 12:21:57 PM
Virus66 posted...
riddlebox89 posted...

They weren't a problem? Really? Do you not remember how terrible the 360 and PS3 were at launch and how no one bought them?

Don't quite know if this is an failed attempt at sarcasm or if the poster believes this to be true. I remember quite a few places selling out of the PS3 on release day and a line of people waiting to get their hands on a new one. I don't recall them being terrible either. Some of the software was bad but it got better.
---
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.
#5PendragoonPosted 2/8/2013 12:26:33 PM
Shy420 posted...
Virus66 posted...
riddlebox89 posted...

Don't quite know if this is an failed attempt at sarcasm or if the poster believes this to be true. I remember quite a few places selling out of the PS3 on release day and a line of people waiting to get their hands on a new one. I don't recall them being terrible either. Some of the software was bad but it got better.

Once the second shipment came in they stopped selling out. From that point on the PS3 was easy to find in stores. The 360 didn't do too much better as the RRoD was showing up on day one and people were hesitant to pay $400 at the time.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#6MourningReignsPosted 2/8/2013 12:28:38 PM
I doubt these games will be released on the next gen consoles. There's not enough profits there. You release them on the systems with huge install bases, not ones with a few million.

Plus, those with the new systems most likely already owned the previous system.

Now if these games were 1st party games, then they could possibly do it to push a system...but being third party games, they aren't trying to push console sales.
---
I finally won a mod dispute. Too bad it got overturned a day after my suspension ended.
#7PendragoonPosted 2/8/2013 12:32:28 PM
Games like Call of Duty will be launch titles. It is a simple matter of porting them to new systems. The Wii U Blops 2 was just the 360 code with minor tweaks. All they will really do is get the games running as quickly as possible and send them out the door at launch.
---
#8king_maddenPosted 2/8/2013 12:48:02 PM
what games were "dual generation" releases last go round?
#9PendragoonPosted 2/8/2013 12:50:17 PM
king_madden posted...

Gun, King Kong, Blazing Angels off the top of my head.
---
#10theshovellerPosted 2/8/2013 12:52:11 PM
PENDRAG0ON posted...
king_madden posted...

Gun, King Kong, Blazing Angels off the top of my head.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance, I think. Unless that was PS3's launch...

Oh, also - Dynasty Warriors Gundam 1 and 2. Those had PS2 releases as well as PS3 and 360 releases.