This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PS4's main selling point will be new play options, not improved hardware specs

#1regsantotomasPosted 2/8/2013 2:14:37 PM
Unnamed source so please take with a grain of salt. Nothing particularly surprising but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/08/sony-ps4-main-selling-point-new-playing-options/

As Sony Computer Entertainment warms up its blue lighting and double-checks its playlist for February 20th, one unnamed SCE official says that the PlayStation 4 will act as more of a home entertainment hub than what we've seen in the past. They added, according to the Nikkei, that the main selling point won't be the rumored eight-core AMD64 CPU or other hardware specs, but how it opens up new styles of play -- something Nintendo is also focusing on.

Sony is going to push the new console as a home entertainment "nerve center," with a focus on the hardware's ability to connect and share to mobile devices -- the rival that's pulling gamers away from traditional consoles. Edge had previously mentioned the possibility of a dedicated share button on the next-gen controller, though that remains a product of the rumor mill at the moment.

No discussion on any Gaikai-powered cloud gaming just yet, but following its unveiling later this month, the report states that the new PlayStation should launch before the end of the year. A bit of a shame, then, that it's still only February.

---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#2PhaseSlaethePosted 2/8/2013 2:16:03 PM
Oh god.

So this coming gen is the continuation of the smartphone gen. Jesus christ.
#3Hyperion_DarkPosted 2/8/2013 2:18:02 PM
I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.

Based off the specs that were leaked, it's pretty damn good and way more powerful than the Wii U.
---
PSN: Jorge_JavierX
()zzzzzzzzzz[]XX::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::> <::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::XX[]zzzzzzzzzz()
#4Alky88Posted 2/8/2013 2:18:35 PM
Incoming people who won't understand what is actually being said here.
---
"Official Jill Valentine of the MvC3 boards!"
#5PhaseSlaethePosted 2/8/2013 2:19:02 PM
Hardware power doesn't mean jack if it isn't used right. The Wii U is proving to be far more enjoyable than my PS3 has for the last few years.
#6Celes--CherePosted 2/8/2013 2:20:49 PM
I just want a damn hardcore console to play hardcore games, with greater specs to allow for more complex games. Sod Kinect. Sod Move. Sod social games. Sod iOS.
---
Holy_Banisher
#7AwesomePS3gamerPosted 2/8/2013 2:23:16 PM
PhaseSlaethe posted...
Oh god.

So this coming gen is the continuation of the smartphone gen. Jesus christ.

Dude, it is not true. Go to NeoGaf and read the actual leaks on there, the PS4 will be a beast.
#8deathsaber79Posted 2/8/2013 2:24:06 PM
Well, the leaked hardware specs seem to suggest something certianly much more powerful then last gen.

The real question though, is despite "more power" how much better can games really look now.

Seriously- go play Uncharted 3, Killzone 2 or 3, Rayman origins (for a 2d experience), Batman, arkham city, etc. There really isn't much to fault- we might get steadier framerates, much more occurance of 60fps, fancier shadows, more on screen enemies..., but honestly, more realistic facial animation, but I don't think there will be much of a jump.

Sony can work on making the psn system more user friendly- cross game chat, better patching and updating, a prettier overall UI, and a better integrated "store", and a better central social hub (nintendo actually nailed that on Wii U with Miiverse- which ironically nobody talks about, but it just might be the consoles best fresh idea and feature that nobodies done before, Sony sort of attempted this with 'HOME', but that is a joke). Thats where more drastic change might be.
#9regsantotomas(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 2:27:24 PM
I don't think the article suggests that the "PS4" isn't going to be powerful - in fact, they aren't even questioning or challenging the leaked specs.

What is being suggested here is that the specs in of by themselves are not going to be the focus. Isn't this a good thing?
---
the bitter truth is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. ~ Anton Ego
#10LeonSK357Posted 2/8/2013 2:29:09 PM
Celes--Chere posted...
I just want a damn hardcore console to play hardcore games, with greater specs to allow for more complex games. Sod Kinect. Sod Move. Sod social games. Sod iOS.

Invest in a PC.

Unless your definition of 'hardcore' basically means CoD.

As far as on-topic, I'm really not feeling thrilled for the next generation of consoles. Could be the fact that I still have hundreds of games to play on the current gen, could also be the fact that the next gen isn't very appealing. Chances are I'll get a PS4 waaaay down the line, but nothing's sold me on that just yet. GOTTA SEE SOME GAMES!
---
Did my opinion upset you? From the depths of my heart, please visit the link below for the full extent of my apology.
http://i47.tinypic.com/xds7cn.jpg